Motor Mount Advice

AD8

The left-side motor mount on my '64 Wildcat let go over the weekend. From what I've observed, no anchoring points or bolts failed. The vulcanization seems to have given up. The front of the mount is realitively easy to access. However, the rear of the mount is nearly impossible to reach effectively. Not much help in the Chassis Manual. What is the procedure for replacement? I do not have an engine hoist, only jacks. Was hoping to pull the bolts, jack the engine slightly and slide the old one out, then slip the new one in (have been soaking bolts with PB Blaster). But that just sounds too easy. The last time this happend was on a '65 in 1972. No recollection as to how Dad fixed the problem.

Any input or commentary would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Jim

BCA 43102

All cars are different, but on both my '54 and a more modern Impala - If you cant reach from above the fender, look through the wheel well and there may be enough room and visibility between frame and inner fender to get at it.

Failing that, go from underneath.

For lifting the engine, use a floor jack with a piece of two-by-four and lift at the flat spot on the oil pan.

TO reinstall, use a tapered punch to line up the bolt holes as the engine comes down off the jack.

The harmonic balancer, having the outer member bonded to the inner member and being round is not my first choice for jacking. The oil pan has a relatively flat sump and a 2x6 which spans both sides will spread out the forces and safely lift the engine.

PS; A bottle jack has a very small post contact area and can split a soft board. The area needs to be broader when using timber/boards to lift. A floor jack typically has a 3-4" cup or pad and works better using boards. I don't use bottle jacks except on HARD surfaces and then, carefully.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)