Heartland Hooligans Slide into Springfield

Thriller

Well, we can't let all the other regions have all the fun.

The '75 Electra (aka Carmen) plans to nose her half-acre hood from the Twin Cities FAR northwest suburbs Monday morning. Ideally it will be an early start because her A/C isn't about to get repaired any time soon. She's been cleaned up a bit (yesterday) and filled with expensive vegetative gasoline-like product. She will spend the night with more Hooligans in the near northern suburbs of the Twin Cities then take off again Tuesday for a nearly straight southerly shot.

The present understanding is that she'll be among a rowdy riot of Rivieras on the second leg.

Let's hope sweating passengers is the worst of our issues.

• Like 2

For those of you coming into Springfield from the north on MO 13, you'll have the rare experience of driving through a diverging diamond at the MO 13 and I-44 interchange. It's only one of three in the United States, the other two are in Kansas.  You'll feel like you're driving in London.  Google it if your curious.

I'm guessing that the folks feeding information to the internet can't keep up with new construction.  I just checked the Southwest District MoDOT website and identified four in Springfield, one in Joplin, and one in Branson.  All in the springfield area.  

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Is that something to be concerned about?

It turns out there's been a change of plans due to the timing of the Gopher State Chapter meeting so I don't know how many, if any, will be driving down with us on Tuesday. Since we've paid for a tour on Wednesday we have to get down...if I'd paid more attention to the calendar perhaps I'd have booked the tour for Thursday.

I'm looking forward to it.

www.divergingdiamond.com has an overhead picture of one of the Springfield intersection mentioned.  Looks a little complicated  . . . but they claim in has a very low "driver confusion" rate.  Also a list of other DDIs in the USA.

NTX5467

That's a cool piece of thinking!  Much better than two lane "roundabouts"   which my State seems hooked on. 

Derek, Too bad you could not get the AC fixed.   But looking forward to a couple of pics of our yachts together.

Made it home yesterday.

Sunday's drive was nice after a late start but we really noticed the difference between the Riviera and the rental.

Monday got off to a later start than hoped but got the rental back to the Electra which was ready with a new rad, hoses, and thermostat. We left some Missouri wine from 7C's as a thank you, backtracked to return the rental and headed home with just enough time to shower, shave, eat, and head out to see the rough cut of a documentary with the '41 in it.

Many thanks to Kris for use of her '98 and to Paul & Donna for putting us up.