Member Photos

JanZverina

Have others had to restore their member photo to their user accounts? Mine dropped off after I finally was able to log in after changing passwords, using validation codes, and assembling more apples, tubas, wheels and  houses than I care to remember as part of the new security measure. Now it's telling me that the photo which accompanied my previous emails is larger than the 50kb allowed. Can someone tell me what the trick is here? Were those images that I see from some of you (Ed Raner, Seafoam, Kaber, etc.) already within the 50kb limit?

Thanks/Jan

The avatar function is screwed up with this new operating system. My avatar picture is cropped to where you can't see the whole front end of the car so I tried to change my avatar and it said that all the pics I tried to use were too big. I went in and downsized one of my other pics and to get it less than 50KB it was so small it would fit on the head of a pin....not visible without a microscope! Can someone please tell me how you turn

a digital picture into a 50KB size and have it still be visible to the naked eye? Also, I'd like to know if this 50KB limit applies

to pictures added to a post. Also why are all the pics of my car in my profile now missing? I know the administrator doesn't

want to hear this......but the new system S**KS. This new system reminds me of the new Coke that came out twenty years ago.  Update.....one of my employees who is a computer whiz was able to downsize a picture

off my computer to 50KB but he's not exactly sure how he did it. You will notice the picture looks a little fuzzy and out of focus......it was a sharp picture until it was downsized. The limit for pictures needs to be changed to match what it was on the old website.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I just noticed that my avatar is more condensed than it used to be - can 't see the top of my cap or the logo on my shirt.  What you're seeing on mine is 1310 x 1630 or 1.26 MB.  I have no idea that that means, that's just what shows up when I mouse over the picture in the file.

Post your questions on the Buick General forum.  They're more likely to be seen by the moderators and they can answer your questions. Or they should.  I've noticed lots of little differences in the new format; not all are as user friendly as the old - at least in my opinion.

I got a private message and didn't realize it until I checked my email and was told that I had one.  In the past, it would "pop up" when I first logged in. ??????  I'm afraid that I'll not be as timely as in the past.  Don't like the 'sometimes it's there; sometimes it's not' feature for going to the first unread post either.  I've already addressed that, but if you don't do it immediately BEFORE opening the thread, you've lost that option.  ARRGGGHHHHHH!  One step forward; two steps back IMHO.

Ed

Hopefully the avatar photo size will be changed in the near future. I have asked the Webmaster to do so. If you look at my photo you will see that a bit of the right fender and the back of the left side of my 1937 Buick Century is now missing from my Avatar. Prior to the software change you could see the whole car. There are a lot of minor settings that need some tweaking. Overall, as soon as we get used to it, I think we will all love the new software. (I also remember how much we fussed about the old software when it was new.)

One other comment... I suggest you take a bit of time exploring the new software. If you simply hover your mouse over different icons throughout the page, you should see a pop up explanation of what those icons do. A bit of exploration like that helped me find a lot of features that I did not otherwise know about. 

For instance, in a list of discussions, if you hover your mouse over the small circle or star icon (depending on the activity level) to the left of a discussion, it is the easiest way that I have found to go to the first unread post in a discussion. There are other ways but that is the one that is easiest for me.  

I was told how to get to the first unread by clicking on the star or dot (depends on views and replies which it is) but so many times I like to look at the first couple of posts to familiarize myself with the thread.  Going into the first unread without having enough background info can be confusing.  Especially if someone has hijacked the thread and the title no longer has any bearing.  Too much technology is not always a good thing.  I've taught math for the last 20 years.  Now with hand held calculators, kids don't need memorize addition or multiplication facts.  They're up the creek when it comes to factoring quadratic trinomials when they have to know two numbers which, when combined, have a sum of one number and a product of another.  Same here, IMHO.  If it's made too easy, we forget the basics.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed,  How can I put this, they don't teach real math any more.  They teach to a bunch of tests somebody, somewhere thinks you may need to know someday.

You want to confuse a kid, hand them a twentry for a 17.03 bill and watch them try to make change without using the cash register.

Or ask them to tey to figure out an area of a square, or the volume of a swimming pool.

Our 21 year old neighbor ordered 2 yards of dirt for his lawn and was surprised when it came in a dump truck, he didn't realize how big a CUBIC yard was, he thought it could come in a bag.

Talk about a hijack...

I had a corotid artery ultrasound a couple of months ago and noticed the display now shows blood in red. I told the technician that was kind of like the cash register telling the cashier how to give change. Another fart in church moment.

Bernie

That must have been blood in the veins, not the arteries.  No oxygen.

Don't get me started about teaching math.  The kids are stupefied that I can do multiplication faster in my head than they can on their computers, or add a column of numbers without using a calculator.

post-93305-0-01149400-1431805259_thumb.j

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)