hood spear and argent silver paint q's

Rufcar

Last year in preparation for my 65 Riv restoration I purchased a NOS hood spear. The tail end was also shot but I had that re-chromed. I primed it and painted it with Argent silver but it does not match? It appears the silver metallic flakes in the current argent silver are bigger and shiner then the original spear. I do not want to repaint the NOS spear because its perfect.

Any ideas of what silver might match better?

Seafoam I did try that from 4 different suppliers and they all told me the tabs break off trying to remove them. I did it again and cleared it Its not perfect but It will do for now.

Snake I did the rockers by hand then taped them off and shot them with Cast blast paint and they came out pretty nice. I did have the cowl vents chromed and they are much too nice to body color paint the bottom 1/2s so I am going to leave them chromed and they will be my only non stock part.

Only you can answer that! I'd try to match it closer but I am at times too particular. Have you tried Krylon 1403 Dull Aluminum. You can obtain variations with it by using as-is or applying a flat clear, satin clear or gloss clear top coat.

I don't see a color matching problem with the tail piece. To me it looks like there are small eruptions (or pockmarks, I can't tell from the photo) in the trough on the tail piece that are not on main piece. If you look al the shouldered edges, which are smooth, the tail pieces looks great. I might try a soft metal wheel attachment on a dremmel tool to see if the eruptions could be knocked down. It may be that they are scattering the light causing the color and brightness to appear different.

The small piece was just replated. The spear was not polished for the pic but it is now. Chrome is actually a clear coating over polished nickel. Polishing must be done extremely carefully. Since the spear is NOT it has marks from the storage wrappings. I have cleaned and the chrome came out perfect. Once I did the chrome I decided to leave it as is for now.

I may change it and I might live with it. Not sure as its so small it's not driving me crazy enough yet. I am now in the process of drilling the window weather strip felts and installing the steel staples. Plus rebuilding the washer pump. All while the car is in its 2nd primer stage.

I see the larger metallic in the tail piece and I assume it looks worse in the photo than in person due to the reflection of the camera flash?

If it looks the same in person and bugs you then just pay someone to custom match a small amount of silver paint with the correct size metallic.

If you really can't live with it, spray the short end piece with the dull aluminum or the argent silver. Blend this paint into about the first foot of the NOS piece. Just feather it in. Not right, and I know you don't want to paint the NOS piece, but this will make the transition between colors undetectable.