Survivor? What is it really?

Pomeroy41144

I don't know how someone could steal a word from Webster's and own it.

Everything that's trademarked is done that way. Did General Motors steal Impala? Did Ford steal Tempo? Did Chrysler steal Charger?

As Joe Padavano pointed out, as long as you use survivor without capitalizing the "C", you should be okay.

I personally agree that a car that has escaped the crusher or restorer's touch, and is still usable, is a survivor.

Everything that's trademarked is done that way. Did General Motors steal Impala? Did Ford steal Tempo? Did Chrysler steal Charger?

As Joe Padavano pointed out, as long as you use survivor without capitalizing the "C", you should be okay.

I personally agree that a car that has escaped the crusher or restorer's touch, and is still usable, is a survivor.

I see your point on that by using it as a model name and using a capital.

Cynics certainly have the right to criticize the use of the terms "Barn Find" and "Survivor," when used as a ploy to up a car's value, but they need to remember that the whole world doesn't exist because of the bottom line, although at times it may seem that way. When I see the terms used to describe a car, I immediately start looking for a story. I want to know the history of the car. I want to know the story of who, how, when, where and why the car remains in it's present condition. If the story teller seems unwilling or unable to be forthcoming with the history I loose interest quickly.

Most guys on this forum remember the 70's and 80's when all creditable cars had to be restored. The unrestored cars and their owners were talked about all right, but seldom in complimentary terms. It was as though the process of making the cars look new again was the only acceptable course of action available to the owner. Thankfully the car's history, and what it is, rather then what it can be, has allowed for a new category of acceptability in the old car hobby. I doubt that accepting these cars could have taken place as quickly, or as completely without the influence of the Gold Standard. The GS and it's offshoots at other judging events, seems to have helped to encourage a large number of owners to preserve rather then restore or to rod their car. Remember the GS is no longer just for Corvettes. I say it was about time all cars and their owners receive the respect that they deserve!

Another poster claimed he did not hear of the that term until 5-7 years ago. I have heard the term 'survivor' since the 1960's, and it was probably used right after World War II. In the 1960's, a 'survivor' was a pre-war car that literally survived the second world war scrap drives in North America, and the ones that did were often so worn out as new cars were scarce during and immediately after the war. And in Europe where the battle was being fought, the cars that were hidden away, or were not in the line of artillery fire were true survivors. I would rate any car made before the second world war a true 'survivor'

Craig

Craig, you are correct. Many earlier collectors in the WWII days considered a survivor as a reasonably original car that survived the scrap drives. Some of these collectors were more interested in originality as opposed to a complete restoration. Fortunately, AACA decided many years ago to recognize cars that were original and instituted the HPOF class, which has evolved into probably the best description of original cars. Survivors are as you described them whereas HPOF does a great job of defining originality. My roster keeper friends spend hours reading 100 hundred year old vehicle registration records published by states and when they find chassis/engine numbers of cars that exist today they are called SURVIVORS.

The Gold Standard seems to be a Corvette thing and is fine for their purposes but has little relevance for the rest of the hobby. As has been noted in previous posts, many of the Corvette people march to a different drummer, so to speak. It is interesting that many of these people incorrectly think that the Vette was the first American sports car.

These comments are for the purpose of clarification but will undoubtedly be construed differently and will be attacked.