Super Bowl Dodge commercial

Rogillio

Yes the 100 year ads have been great.

I found it a bit strange that the original DB badge/ logo was omitted from all the official merchandise and advertising.

Guys, I wonder who and where this commercial was shot? That questionable radiator badge was never a factory release but I do seem to recall that pattern in picture form somewhere. First of all those triangles should not be the same color, second the Red DB in the center, and finally the surrounding words in Blue. The whole thing looks like CGA artwork. Since this is/was a Chrysler corp. commercial it would be presumed there would be corporate permission to use the proper badge? So the question remains why the illogical obfuscation of technical facts? Are we not caretakers of the past for future generations? Just asking.

Rodger "Dodger"

I suspect the cars, at least in advert where various cars have the brothers racing they may be a part of the Chrylser museum collection as there was an official display that seemed to have these cars in it.

Edited by dbnz (see edit history)

This commercial brought back memories of one of "the" stories in my family's history. I also posted this on my restoration thread.

My great-grandfather, Charles Carolin, was a self-made man who came to Detroit from Windsor, Canada in the late nineteenth century. He became a prominent and very successful businessman in the then burgeoning Motor City, and owned one of the largest foundry and metal working plants in the city. He's the rather imposing gentleman in the center of this family portrait taken around 1908. That's my grandmother in the lower left, his favorite whom he always called Baby.

Scan_zpsg1kikyyj.jpg

Charles was a rich, stubborn, no nonsense guy. I'm sure he'd be an avid watcher of Bill O'Reilly if he was alive today. He was most upset when local ordinances forced him to give up his horses, and he absolutely refused to buy one of the newfangled automobiles, preferring to walk to work. One day a gentleman arrived at the foundry with a proposition: if my great-grandfather would mass produce certain parts for his new enterprise, he would offer Charles ten percent of his company. My great-grandfather viewed this offer with much skepticism - this skinny entrepreneur was making his third or forth try at starting a (gasp) automobile company; he had no money, thus the ten percent offer; his credit was not just bad - it was terrible, and it's said that Charles Carolin did not particularly care for the looks of this eager young man. Charles turned down the offer - cash only was the only way he would deal.

Thus the young man, whom I'm sure you've guessed by now was Henry Ford, eventually went to the Dodge Brothers for his parts and my great-grandfather gave up what would have been a massive family fortune. True story, but since the Dodge brothers designed many of Ford's parts and loaned him money to get things rolling, I doubt that any relationship between Charles and Henry would have been productive. In fact, I believe it would have led to another failure for Ford and much satisfaction for Charles Carolin.

Later, Charles - who was also a ardent pacifist - refused to manufacture munitions for the government during World War One. There went another couple of hundred-millions. It's the reason I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to afford the chrome plating on my 32 DL rather than bidding on a Duesenberg at the latest Scottsdale auction. Thanks Grandpa Carolin!

1932 Dodge DL Sedan

clear.gif Edit Post clear.gif Reply clear.gif Reply With Quote multiquote_40b.png