Pioneer Village needs our help..

nick8086

http://www.pioneervillage.org/

Million Dollar Match

Challenge Fund Raiser

An anonymous donor has stepped forward and offered to match every dollar the museum receives in donations up to 1 milliion dollars. The funds will go to updates and improvements in the facilities, existing displays and new exhibits! Contact us for more information or to make a tax-deductable donation.

I am going to send them a check.. That place needs to be saved.. etc...

Guest AlCapone

The problem I see Nick is that it is a private business and they should be looking at refinancing or selling of a share to gain operating funds. With all due respect I like Starbucks and Tim Hortons coffee but I would not make a donation to keep them in business. Maybe if is time for them to sell to an enterprise that has better financial stability.

Wayne

When traveling across the country I always stop at a museum to see our heritage.

I am never disapointed. Any museum, private or public needs support.

The owners or a private museum could always sell out and live the good live except for the fact that they are dedicted and want to show you how life was in the past.

Guest AlCapone

Museums are great but in our present economy we can not bail out every company in financial trouble. I say if you truly believe it deserves your support write a cheque. There are so many museums and other organizations in this situation that we can not write a cheque to them all. Why don't they sell shares so you are getting a return on your money. Id much rather write a cheque to the American Legion and other service clubs that are in major financial trouble. Sorry Nick, not this time.

Wayne

If you go to the site you will see it is not a for profit business and donations ARE tax deductible. Museums are more important than any Starbucks. If you think about it, it is our history that is being preserved, yours and mine. Support your history and skip a few cups of coffee.

Guest AlCapone
If you go to the site you will see it is not a for profit business and donations ARE tax deductible. Museums are more important than any Starbucks. If you think about it, it is our history that is being preserved, yours and mine. Support your history and skip a few cups of coffee.[/QUOT

I do support museums and I presently have 2 cars on display. In the past my father donated a car to find out later that they had sold it without his knowledge and that is why mine are on loan. So no need to skip StarBucks as I am already doing my part.

Wayne

Yes, we should support museums. As far as car donations go, most "contracts" when you donate a vehicle say they'll keep or display for 2 years, after that, if it's deemed surplus to the museum's needs, then off to sale it goes.

Just about any car museum is privately funded or relies on donations. Let's all be thankful there are so many great ones out there....

We visited there this past summer en route from the Sentimental Tour in Portsmouth, New Hampshire to the AACA Meet in Big Sky, Montana.

The collection is varied and interesting, and certainly worth preserving.

Guest AlCapone
Wayne, I also support Museums with cash, donations, loans and my time. All of your post have taken a somewhat negative slant, The referenced Pioneer Village needs positive support and less negative conjecture. Enjoy the coffee.

There was no negativity towards this museum intended. Bottom line in this economy alternative financing is productivethan requesting donations. Donations are a band aid fix and only solve the problem on a temporary basis. So I am sorry you misconstrued my comments. I hope they are successful in their campaign.

Wayne

The first time I was at Pioneer Village was in the summer of 1965. I was with my parents on a Horseless Carriage Club weekend tour. I remember one of the museum staff telling a small group of the guys that they have so many old cars given to them that they didn't have any place to store them. It truly is a neat place to visit. The last time I was there was in the late 1980's. At one time they had the world's oldest known Buick stationary engine there. Minden, Nebraska is about 225 miles North of where we live down in Doo Dah, Kansas. I went back up in 1971 and spent a weekend going through the buildings again. We got adventurous on the way home and stopped at the Geographical Center of the United States in Smith Center, Kansas. What a goddam joke! We had to drive several miles on an ungraded gravel country road and finally got to the place. There was this block of concrete with an iron spike sharpened to a point stuck in it. There was a fence post with a board nailed on it that had red letters painted on it that read "YOU ARE HERE THIS IS IT" There was an arrow pointing to the spike. The sign post was about three feet away from the concrete and there was a chicken wire fence strung around everything so a person could not get up real close to anything. This place takes in hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of dollars every year. Why should they be in financial trouble? Could it be that the grandkids and the great-grandkids of Harold Warp have bled this cash cow dry and have not put anything back into the facilities toward preserving things for the future? Keep this thought in mind, I have been there several times. It was a well maintained and fun place to see on the times that I was there. I am not real keen on the idea of handing over any amount of money to a private, family owned concern that has no accountability to the donors. I agree with Wayne on his take of this operation. Sorry it has to be that way folks, but, that's the cold hard facts of life.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Here is why the funds are down...

Going from over 100,000 people a year at its peak in the 1970s to around 25,000 now means there's not a lot of extra budget..

It make it's money from visitors.

I am not sure on the Harold Warp story ...

Here is the TV ad:

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Fundraising-Efforts-to-Bring-Changes-to-Pioneer-Village-238323821.html

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

See the world's oldest Buick, a 1902 Cadillac and a 1903 Ford, both designed by Henry Ford, plus 350 other antique cars..

I just sent them a check... Merry Christmas....

I want to take my kids to see the old car. and tell them. That was one of your grampa's cars....

Here is why the funds are down...

Going from over 100,000 people a year at its peak in the 1970s to around 25,000 now means there's not a lot of extra budget..

It make it's money from visitors.

I am not sure on the Harold Warp story ...

Here is the TV ad:

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Fundraising-Efforts-to-Bring-Changes-to-Pioneer-Village-238323821.html

And the ad is a year old.

Ben

I went through the museum in about 1968 as a kid. This last summer while traveling to Michigan from Oregon, my buddy and I stopped by to see the museum. The cars still had the very same dust on them as when I viewed them in 1968! One of the things that disturbed me was the fact that the signs that told about the vehicles were actually screwed to the fenders! I know things were different when Harold Warp started the museum, but....

It IS still worthy of a visit.

post-37352-143142904225_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142904234_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142904245_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142904254_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142904264_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142904274_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142904283_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142904291_thumb.jpg

post-37352-1431429043_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I went through the museum in about 1968 as a kid. This last summer while traveling to Michigan from Oregon, my buddy and I stopped by to see the museum. The cars still had the very same dust on them as when I viewed them in 1968! One of the things that disturbed me was the fact that the signs that told about the vehicles were actually screwed to the fenders! I know things were different when Harold Warp started the museum, but....

It IS still worthy of a visit.

Did you know all the pictures had Nebraska license plates on them..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone
Wayne - here is car we donated to the church about a year ago..[/QUO

That is a gorgeous car. To the church at the museum or private church? Wayne