A Special Find

MIClassicGirl

Hi Guys. I thought I would share this with you all. My dad passed away last month and while going through some of his stuff, I found this lapel pin. Now, you have to understand, my dad worked for GM for almost 40 years before retiring. He was not a big fan of Dodges. So, for me to find this pin in his possession was so amazing I can't even explain. Because my dad had it, makes it that more special than it already is. I had no idea he had this! I was able to show him the big poster from the Centennial Meet and he said "I'm not a Dodge guy, but even I can say that that is cool!" I had hoped to have been able to bring him down to the meet, but his cancer was making him too tired to drive and he didn't live near me to be able to pick him up & bring him. He would have loved to have been there that week. Sorry the picture isn't the best.

Shannon

post-77540-143142856169_thumb.jpg

Thank you Mike. That's a wonderful picture of you and your dad. I'm sorry to hear about your loss too! Thank you all for the kind words. I was totally floored when I found that pin in a little trinket box. I found all kinds of his UAW pins and different things. Buick pins for 10 years, 25 years, etc. GM pins. Even his plaque from when he retired from GM. I did not expect to find this pin!! Unfortunately, I cannot ask him when he got it. And my step-mom wouldn't be able to remember because of her dementia.

So sorry to hear of your loss Shannon...a very nice story to go with the pin you found. I found my dad's high school class ring caught in the frame of my car a few years ago...he must have dropped it when he was teaching me to drive it in '71. My dad is gone now too, but I hope to take my mom on a picnic in the car when I finish. I wonder if your dad was saving this pin for you upon your car's completion.

I was always sorry that my Dad never knew I had bought back the first car I ever owned and that he helped me to buy back in 1965. He died at 91 just a few months before I rediscovered the car, but I'm sure he's watching the progess of the restoration up there somewhere.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

One of the items that I wanted from my step-mother when my Dad passed was his "25 year" pin from Chrysler Corporation Export-Import Division as I had the photo of him receiving it and wanted the two items to be together. She sent it to me in the mail and it was lost. I was very upset about it. One day about 6 months later, it showed up in the mail and I was able to mount the pin with the photo. He's the big guy on the right of center. Now all I need is his "35 year" pin....

post-37352-143142860502_thumb.jpg

That's very cool John! My step-mom still has my dad's 25 & 35 year pins from GM. Those will be coming to me after my step-mom passes away. Here is a picture of my dad getting this wall clock from GM for 25 years. I have this clock. I've always like it. I just need to get the clock mechanism replaced because it's not keeping time so well!! My dad is the one on the left of the first photo. He is the one in the middle of the second.

post-77540-143142860526_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142860519_thumb.jpg