1933 flat head 6 engine ?

Guest towd

I've pulled the head off the engine and found 5 out of the 6 cylinders with stuck valves. Everything is free now and I'm wondering if my oil pump is working. When cranking the motor with the head off - I'm not seeing any oil in the lifter area ??? Is this normal or does the engine need to be running for the oil to get to lifters etc?

post-103483-143142764302_thumb.jpg

post-103483-143142764302_thumb.jpg

Edited by towd
Add picture (see edit history)

I have been cranking it with starter motor. I don't see any oil showing up anywhere? Not even in filter canister. The car has been sitting for a real long time - could the pump have lost its prime? It is about a quart low on oil but there should be enough to get it moving??? Any help is appreciated

Do yourself a favor and pull the pan. Make sure! There could be a mouse nest or worse.

Exactly what I expected/didn't want to hear. Check out this filter - anybody remember these?????

post-103483-143142765016_thumb.jpg

I have been cranking it with starter motor. I don't see any oil showing up anywhere? Not even in filter canister. The car has been sitting for a real long time - could the pump have lost its prime? It is about a quart low on oil but there should be enough to get it moving??? Any help is appreciated

Update - I removed the oil pump, packed it with grease, and it now is showing 20 psi on the oil pressure gauge when cranking. Thanks everyone!

Any idea of the age/era of that filter?

Probably 50s. Allstate, so Sears. The filter has been sealed up in the canister since new. However I would think that you could get a cartridge easy enough for it.

This one is NOS so never been installed.

I want $35 for the kit with housing plus freight.

Towd gets first grabs as its his thread, 30 gets second.

Let me know soon if you want it.

email is best capyjack@comcast.net

You might try to prime the pump with grease. Also look for an oil pressure relief valve on the side of the block. If it has one, it may be plugged up. Remove it and clean it.

If the '33 Dodge L-6 is like the '33 Plymouth L-6, then the location of the oil pressure relief valve depends on when it was built. For Plymouth, it started out being mounted on the oil pump, then migrated to inside the oil pan and then finally moved to the permanent location on the side of the block. To add to the confusion there was a factory retrofit kit for the engines with the relief in the oil pan to move it to the oil pump but it is a different part than the earlier engines had.

Probably 50s. Allstate, so Sears. The filter has been sealed up in the canister since new. However I would think that you could get a cartridge easy enough for it.

This one is NOS so never been installed.

I want $35 for the kit with housing plus freight.

Towd gets first grabs as its his thread, 30 gets second.

Let me know soon if you want it.

email is best capyjack@comcast.net

Thanks Jack - but I wil pass - I've got bigger fish to fry with this I think.