Installing new brake pads on a 57 buick

Yohdda

Hello,

So today I picked up some new brake pads from Napa and proceeded to install them, but the seem to be way tighter than the old ones. (Yes I know that they are bigger) I have adjusted the adjustment wheels in all the way so the shoes are the smallest possible. I am able to put the drums on all the wheels, but it is tight! I can barely turn the drum with a bar.

I know that drum brakes are supposed to break in but I am not sure about these ones.

I have clean all parts and greased everything.

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Jason

I have it up on blocks right now, and when I start it and put it in drive the hubs do turn, but they sure heat up after a minute. So how much driving do I have to do in order to break (wear down) the pads to a point that they are not dragging anymore? 5 miles? 50 miles? I have never done drum brakes before, (always disc) so I am new to this drum brake thing.

Thanks!

Ok so an update. I put the tires on and drove around the block a couple of times. The front brakes were not heating up much.... the rim was lukewarm at most. The rear rims were hot, to the touch and a smell with minor smoke was coming from the drivers rear brake.

Should I just get the old pads refurbished? or is there something that I am missing?

Thanks!

Forgive a dumb question, but did you release the parking brake and back off on its adjustment also?

Sometimes the linings on the new brake shoes are a little thicker than they should be. You can use a scuff pad or other abrasive and sand them down a bit to get them to fit better. I have had this problem and sanding them down to a lesser thickness works well. It doesn't take much to remove enough lining.

If you keep driving with them tight all you'll wind up doing is glazing them from the heat and then they will be trashed.

Joe

The parking brake is released, I even checked to make sure there was slack in the cable. and the adjustment wheels are "compressed" or "screwed in" all the way.

Did you check to see if the parking brake cables retracted at each rear wheel? Pull the drums, put a heavy screwdriver on the arm the cables are attached to and then hit the screwdriver with a decent hammer blow towards the back of the car.

Thanks for the replies Joe and John,

I did check the cable for the parking brake and it was loose.

And I could do the sanding trick, but I am going to take Tanks advise, and return them, and then I found a outfit that will take my old pads, and drums and reline the pads, and fit them to the drums.

Thanks for everyone's tips, this forum is the best!!!

It always makes sense to listen to Willie. And thanks for responding too. Sometimes when folks never post the solution it kinda leaves one hanging on if they were at all helpful.

Guest COMPRESSION

Coincidence, my '57 Buick rear drums and original brake shoes are at a friction place right now getting re-lined and fit to the drums. Seems to be the best way to go. This outfit also tapers the brake shoe material for a more gradual and linear brake action. They really know what they are doing. They also said that for old cars, parts-store brake shoes are rarely a good option.

FYI, something I learned long ago:

Brake pads: Disc brake

Brake shoes: Drum brake

Let us know how it turns out.