How much does it weigh?

avantey

Again I need help from the vast knowledge base stored here! :D

Where can I get the weight of a 1912 Overland model 59T touring car? It is not on the title or reg I have. My Tom Lester book only goes back to 1915 and I have no other early resources on the shelf.

Thanks,

Hi Bill (and fellow Overland owner),

Can't help on the weight number but have you tried the Willys Overland Knight Registry forum? (WOKR) You might have some luck there.

Any pictures? We all like pictures, restored or not.:)

Back in this state to register a car you need the weight. To get the weight we would take the car someplace where there is a scale. A buddies scrap yard, Or a local feed store with a truck scale. Any place with a scale will work. Get a weight and a sales ticket/sales stub of the weight and you are good to go. Dandy Dave!

You can always make up a weight for your vehicle, but I think that what Dandy Dave recommended would be best. To add to his suggestion, you might consider calling a moving company that does business locally, they usually use local scales to weigh their loads.

Grog

Guest AlCapone

If an official weight slip is required it does not matter what this group thinks the weight is. Load it up and take it to a local business that weighs large loads and get the slip. They likely won't charge you more than $25 dollars.

Wayne

Thanks for all the replies. And you are probably right about NYS and it being an official weight slip.

Guess I'll have to sneak a ride out to the local Petro by I90! Is their weight slip accepted as official? I have another truckstop nearby with a CAT scale that encourages the drivers to be safe and weigh in for the road side stops so I assume the NYS troopers take their slip.

Thanks again!

Guest Magoo

It won't print out an official weight slip, but you can accurately weigh an automobile using a pair of bathroom scales, a few stiff planks, and junior high math.

Hi Bill,

Nice photo of the Overland and the President........Congrats on supporting another local function....wish we were going to Maine with you the week after next,

enjoy the Chrome Glidden Tour for us !!

We are in Buffalo/Amherst for the AACA Meet this weekend

Guest AlCapone
It won't print out an official weight slip, but you can accurately weigh an automobile using a pair of bathroom scales, a few stiff planks, and junior high math.

Wow, do you have bathroom scales that go to 750 pounds plus for even a 3000 pound car ?

Wayne

Would it help to take the cover off the car? Kinda like standing "nekked" on the scale to improve the accuracy of your results?

And Wayne, does a flat has a bigger footprint to offset the lower PSI ?!?! LOL too!

I do not doubt the physics of comression and deformation by the tire. However, does the construction of the tire have an effect on this? I am thinking of a tubed or bias ply tire vs. say a load range E truck tire where the sidewall has two or three ply to stiffen it? Seems the rate of deformation would change and the resultant size of the footprint.

Besides this convsersation was getting fun and now has turned semi-serious.......

Guest AlCapone

It certainly can reduce the pressure inside the tire if it blows the side out of the tire !

Wayne

Oh I forgot the pic for whoever asked. This was Saturday in the local Memorial Day parade with Pres T. Roosevelt and SS man on board!

Nice! :cool: Looks like something I would do. Dandy Dave!