re: date stamped spark plug wires for 1968 Buicks

Hello Everyone

Can anyone tell me when the date stamping stopped on Buick spark plug wires? I have a 1968 Buick Wildcat and would like to take it to Portland and have it judged. Currently I have a set of AC Delco spark plug leads on the vehicle, however they are not date stamped. I would appreciate your comments on whether I will need to swap them out or not? I am going to change my hose clamps and hopefully have most of the decals sorted out. Thanks for your time. Regards John

Keep in mind that the date-coded repros (and originals FTM) are stamped by quarter, as 1-Q-68 were made the first quarter of 1968 production. Likewise 3-Q-70 would indicate 3rd quarter of 1970. All the repros I've seen are either 1-Q or 3-Q, and I think I've seen one original set with a 4-Q date.

If repros are available for Oldsmobile V8's they should also be available for Buick as all 5 Divisions used Delco-Packard spark plug wires. I've found plenty of NOS Olds plug wires on ebay so they ARE out there. Helps to have a parts catalog with part numbers.

Hello Jack

The Buick Car Club of America has its 2014 National Meeting in Portland Oregon starting on the 23rd July 2014, (finishes on the 26th July). It is being held at the Red Lion Hotel on the River. You will see a wide range of fantastic cars there. Take care John

ps what is it like to live under a rock?

I guess I don't follow the Buicks so I had not heard of your meet. (I was under the rock)

It is happening on the same weekend of a function that I attend every year up in Puyallup, so I wont be able to attend.

Let me make a suggestion. on Wednesdays there is a fun car show at the Portland Intl Raceway a just a couple of miles south of the river. It runs from 3 o'clock or so until dark. Live music, beer gardens etc. It draws a very diverse range of vehicles and only costs five bucks for car and two people.

It is a charity show put on by a local restaurant called 'Beaches' in Vancouver.

Several hundred cars and bikes every Wednesday all summer.

Hello Everyone

Can anyone tell me when the date stamping stopped on Buick spark plug wires? I have a 1968 Buick Wildcat and would like to take it to Portland and have it judged. Currently I have a set of AC Delco spark plug leads on the vehicle, however they are not date stamped. I would appreciate your comments on whether I will need to swap them out or not? I am going to change my hose clamps and hopefully have most of the decals sorted out. Thanks for your time. Regards John

J/B: AFAIK the dates on the spark plug wires went well up into the 70's for GM. My 68 Corvette and 70Z28 have them. All the professional judging for

the Chevrolet's require them. My guess is that the Buick Org. would also. Also your hose clamps should be the "tower clamps" that GM used back then.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...
I guess I don't follow the Buicks so I had not heard of your meet. (I was under the rock)

It is happening on the same weekend of a function that I attend every year up in Puyallup, so I wont be able to attend.

Let me make a suggestion. on Wednesdays there is a fun car show at the Portland Intl Raceway a just a couple of miles south of the river. It runs from 3 o'clock or so until dark. Live music, beer gardens etc. It draws a very diverse range of vehicles and only costs five bucks for car and two people.

It is a charity show put on by a local restaurant called 'Beaches' in Vancouver.

Several hundred cars and bikes every Wednesday all summer.

I see that you guys are already assigned a special parking area for your group at this event.

Unfortunately I wont be able to see you there as I have a previous commitment up in Puyallup that weekend.

Have fun !!!