Been A Riviera Fan Long?

60FlatTop

Here is the October 1962 Cat Life magazine introducing the new 1963 Riviera:

post-46237-143142521265_thumb.jpg

And here is the mailing label to me as a subscriber:

post-46237-143142521288_thumb.jpg

I was 14 and one month old when that magazine came in the mail. Lucky enough to be working in the Tire Shop and able to buy magazine subscriptions and car books. Being from western New York production cars were more realistic that a subscription to Hot Rod.

Conservative? Reading about Buicks at 14, I still have the same address, and the magazines are out in the garage on the shelf. And 16 years later I bought the car.

Bernie

Guest clamshells

I was 13 years old in 1977 these cars were abundant. My older friends would go to used car lots to see tri-power, dual quads, SS, RS, RT etc. My interest earned me sitting "*****" in the back seat of a 63 Valiant wagon slant-6 with a push button trans selector. At 15 I saw my first 65 Riviera Gran Sport, opened the hood and got the acorn off and lifted the lid to see it had 2-4's, just to have 3 salesman herd us away as one said "get out of here you can't afford that car". Less than two years later I bought my first car a 1969 Buick GS400.

We looked at allot of cars with hemi's, 4 speeds, six packs but another car that stood out to this day was a Catalina 421 Tri-power, 4 speed with a sticker on the windshield "posi & air cond." good times folks, good times.

The 65 Riviera Gran Sport only holds a candle to her predecessors the 63 & 64 which were overall a prettier car. I'll have a KX someday, but had to have a 65 Rivi GS first.

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

My first car was a blue 1963 Riviera, my brother had a silver 64 at the same time. I remember going to the auto parts store and looking thru the Walker exhaust book for a muffler and tailpipe. I sold the car to my uncle for $125.00 as I had bought a 1970 Chevelle

My first NEW Riviera was a 1966 because in 1960 I could only afford a New Impala which I traded in for a New 1964 Impala Super Sport which I traded in on the 1966 RIVIERA and since that time I have owned at least ONE RIVIERA OR MORE until the present of which I still have TWO 1965 RIVIERA GRAN SPORTS, A 1965 SKYLARK GRAN SPORT 4-SPEED CONVERTIBLE, a 1970 STAGE-ONE GS 455 and a 1997 Super Charged Riviera with under 50k miles ............. yes Buicks are in my blood. ROA member since 1984, attended the FIRST ROA MEET IN DENVER COLORADO at the RIVIERA HOTEL .......Yes I guess post-30953-143142522646_thumb.jpgI qualify as being a Fan since 1966 so I should celebrate my 50th anniversary with Riviera!!! Paul

post-30953-143142522582_thumb.jpg

post-30953-143142522611_thumb.jpg

post-30953-14314252262_thumb.jpg

I've been a gen 1 Riviera fan as far back as when I first saw them on the road. I was way too young to drive then. At the time I was curious as to why some had lights in the grill and others had them concealed. I know I always liked the 65's best for that reason.

I've owned two 8th generation and two 7th generation Riviera's (still have/will keep one 7th). Sad to say no 1st or 2nd, but maybe someday.

Forgot to add I once owned a 6th generation Riv, also.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

I bought my first Riviera, an Astro blue 1966 with the optional black Strato Bench custom interior, in 1971. I drove it for a couple of years then traded it in on a more conventional "family" car. The '66 Riviera was too difficult trying to get kids in car seats in the back. It wasn't until my youngest was in the 3rd or 4th grade in 1982 that I was able to go back to driving one as a daily driver. Still have that one. It's now got 197K on the original engine and has been in storage for a while awaiting a total restoration. That restoration never seems to get here because there are always other Rivieras to be found and tinkered with.

Ed

My dad was set to trade in his '65 Catalina for a '67 Riv. As it came down to it, the Riv's trunk was deemed to be too small for the travel luggage, ect and he went with a Wildcat with a trunk more sized as the Pontiac. Everybody loved the Riv styling, but the fastback cat coupe was pretty good, too. Years later, I picked up a '66 as I prefer the nailhead.

Bought my first Riv, a '67, in 1971 from the original owner who was an exec. with UniCal/Union 76 in SoCal. It was in excellent condition; dark metallic grey with black vinyl top and black interior. Enjoyed that one for quite a few years but always really longed for a '65. Had to wait another 42 years before I got one.

Paul, that's quite a collection that you have; Love those Skylark wheels on the Sierra Mist GS!

Steve

I grew up in Queens about 10 miles from Manhattan. In the mid 60's on my block lived a guy named Spiro. He wore black suits, skinny ties, pointy shoes and owned a company that "refurbished cigarette machines". My Dad thought he was maybe a mob guy. He drove a 64, silver cloud poly with a black leather interior. It was perfect and way cooler than any of the other station wagons and sedans parked on my street. Early in the afternoon while everybody else's dad was still at work, he'd drive down the street and park out front of his house. He'd get out, ask to take a swing with the stickball bat, then go inside and crank Sinatra records. I'd walk up to that Riv (no touching) and just stare at it, inhale the smell and listen to the motor quietly tick as it cooled. It made an impression. Today, I've got a 63, silver poly, still awaiting interior in my garage. Mr Spiro would be proud, if he's not buried in the Meadowlands next to Jimmy Hoffa. PRL