65 interior advice

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

Hey guys,

The 65 project car I found and its rusted floor pans were acceptable but both quarters 50% bondo was not. One door closed and another door opened I found a 65 gran sport Riviera Wildcat LX, straight sheet metal, no collisions, missing two center caps, 56,000 miles. I am flying down to see the car and hopefully it just needs (not that bad floors are a deal breaker) floor pans and interior, rubber/ reseal and work and make it a driving project by summer.

Update! The car was a rust bucket with a questionable VIN tag.

Thanks guys,

Clams

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

As a first-gen owner myself, I can at least help get you started on some sources for seats, door panels, headliners, etc., unless you're looking for good used parts. One is http://www.opgi.com/riviera/ while the other is http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.cgi?category=buick&dbkey=24&level=1 Yes, you read it right - Corvair - but they have a Riv catalog as well. My advice is to ask for sample swatches in advance. Good interior components aren't cheap, but they are a key component to a good looking installation.

Another suggestion is for you to join the Riviera Owners Association - best $ you'll probably spend during the entire restoration. That will give you access to a selection of parts vendors who can be trusted to give you a fair deal, in addition to responses from ROA members on this forum. Good luck in your search!

Guest clamshells

Thanks JZ.

Finding a original 7 or better on a scale of 10 complete interior would be ideal for my expectations. This is my first interior project, I hope my goals are not too lofty, otherwise a complete interior by a upholstery shop is on the table. I appreciate the contact information.

Thank you,

Clams

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

Clamshells,

Do a search of the Riviera Owners forum for comments from guys who have bought upholstery kits from OPGI or Clarks. You'll not even consider the stuff that OPGI is trying to sell as original. The covers might fit okay, but their materials are way off.

Guest clamshells
Clamshells,

Do a search of the Riviera Owners forum for comments from guys who have bought upholstery kits from OPGI or Clarks. You'll not even consider the stuff that OPGI is trying to sell as original. The covers might fit okay, but their materials are way off.

Yes I recently looked a 63 with a "kit" interior and it looked so bad I was embarrassed for the guy selling the car. I was figuring kits would be problematic in some way. You guys are saving me allot of headaches and funds.

Thanks RN

Clamshells,

Yes, that's why asking for swatches is always a good first step!

In 1978 I purchased a used set of 1965 DeLux seats for my '64 Riviera. They were professionally dyed black at that time and have held up very well. The car has always been stored inside and the sun only shines three days each summer in this part of New York. The stitching at the shoulder area of the driver's seat back came loose. I have a new Clark's replacement section ready to install.

I purchased a set of standard seat frames that I have stripped of upholstery, painted, and will recover with new Clark's material.

I would sell the very presentable 1965 front and rear seats, without the front tracks, including the new panel for $1,000 plus shipping.

Couldn't find a good interior pic right now. I'll look some more. Here is a peek:

tr7%20026.jpg Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I was figuring kits would be problematic in some way. Thanks RN

Don't rule out one of Clark's "kits" Each piece is sewn to factory specs. You can't tell one of Clark's "kits" from a good original. I've seen too many of them installed to have anything negative to say about them.

They're well worth the money, especially if you don't have a good original from which to make templates.

Ed

I replaced the vinyl front seats on my 65 deluxe int. with ones from Clarks. My rear seats looked like new but the front were torn & split at the seams. Clarks matched the originals perfectly! A few problems…..I prepped the frame & springs & turned them over to an auto upholsterer for the foam work & recovering ( oddly, Clarks does not carry foam pads for the deluxe interior ) They look beautiful, but after all that prep & even thorough testing, they still go SPROING when you sit down & get up! Very annoying! By the way, the pro said to give a warning to anyone attempting this ... they were well made but difficult to install. My other problem is that while you cannot tell the difference between them visually, the old rear vinyl is stiff as a board while the new fronts are soft & supple. Oh well, nobody ever sits back there anyway. Clarks also reproduces door panels. Does anyone have experience with them? Mine have good vinyl but the cardboard got wet & severely warped while improperly stored during painting… after stripping them of trim I wet them & pressed them flat with cardboard & cinderblocks. I knew I had Clarks as a backup, so after they dried , as an experiment, I soaked the backs with clear Krylon spray paint. A couple of years later they are still nice & flat. I also have a Clarks headliner in my closet that I'm trying to build up the courage to install myself. Can somebody out there convince me not to? thanks Drew

As long as I've been around cars and car guys, I've never known of one to successfully DIY a headliner that didn't look like crap.

Nuff said?

X2. Don't do it. Check with your interior guy and see if you can save a few $$$ by removing the old one and the seats. Some are OK with that, others want to take it out themselves so they know how exactly it was put in.

I put a new Clark's headliner in my car about 1996. I also bought the new sail panels. I am going to install a new one with my new seats again. This time the windshield and rear window will be out. They were hard to work around. I also plan to replace all the tack strips this time. The hardest part is gluing the tail edge by the back window.

At the roof rail edge there are pinch fit plastic strips that crack and split with age. I found the continuous strip was not needed so I cut it into 3-4" sections and had plenty.

The seat bottom has an anti-sproing pad made from burlap and wire stiffeners:

post-46237-143142380394_thumb.jpg Most "professionals" find it easier to make excuses than install them.

It was a lot of work stripping the old upholstery off those seat frames and I bought an extra long handled pair of side cutters to get to the hog rings. The more I cut the rings, the more firmly I became convinced that an upholstery shop owner would give me a tearful song and dance, just like the transmission guy and the engine rebuilder before him. I will do the work myself.

If I screw up a seat panel or a headliner the cost is under $200 an I'll do better, pay closer attention to detail, make no comprises, or brag about my warranty service.

I'm just tired of the crappy work I pay for. It is not an age thing. It is an indoctrination and after 60 some years of disappointment in "professional" doctors, lawyers, and mechanics; I'll do it myself, thank you.

Bernie

As long as the soap box is out, in the early 1990's when I serviced collector cars, I did the job of stripping all the front suspension and steering linkage and box from under a '60's Cadillac. Springs, bushings, steering box (from Lares), spindles, brakes, and all were R&R'ed. The day after I finished the car was picked up and driven to Maine from near Buffalo. Then driven back, loaded up, and before the engine hardly cooled, it headed off for the Cadillac Nationals in Chicago, round trip. Customer expectations do not allow for warranty suspension work on the road OR seats that go sproing! Do it yourself.

Ta Da, Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest clamshells

I found a car with a complete black leather interior. Once I start my project car (63-64 w/ a 65 front clip) I am going to be back on this interior subject.

Guest clamshells
Leather was only available in '63. Neither the '64 nor the '65 came with leather. Check the ROA's website for a complete list of interior color codes and styles.

Ed

Not the original interior. The "new" interior is stored separate from the car, just what I was told.