Tapered axle to rusted?

32bizcoupe

I pulled the axle out of my 1952 l110 international in two pieces. It is a rear drivers side, semi floating. The truck had a spare in the back but it had been sitting out in the weather. Is it to rusted or pitted to use? I let it sit in evaporust and took a wire wheel to it.

post-80786-143142375556_thumb.jpg

post-80786-143142375563_thumb.jpg

post-80786-143142375567_thumb.jpg

Soak it in a molasses mix 6 parts water to one part molasses from the feed store for a week or two and the rust will be gone. Make sure to get all of the grease off as the molasses will not work thru grease.

You can lap it in with fine valve grinding compound. This may make the hub sit farther in. I would suggest getting a better axle but that may not be so easy.

Worst comes to worst you could use some Loctite. If you do that, try to plan ahead so you never have to take the hub off. Make the brake drum removable, and if you have to get access to backing plate bolts, drill a hole.

"Sorry, the key does not hold the hub from turning."

What does the key do then?

It is my understanding that the axle and hub are tapered so when the nut is tightened up they are drawn together to create friction, centralize the hub on the shaft, counter side loading (which is high on auto's) and to stop them flogging. The key takes the power transfer.

If the taper was not tight then the axle would slip in the hub and the drive would be with the key. When put in reverse the axle would slip the other direction against the key. This would wear out the key, shear the axle keyway and generally go bad quickly. The key is basically a safety backup, it is the taper action with the hubnut drawn tight that locks the hub to the axle and does not allow any motion between them. Theroetically no key is needed, practically it also stops the axle from turning inside the hub when the nut is tightened.

You could have the other axle welded. My Grandfather broke an axle in 1949 and had it hammer welded by an old prairie blacksmith, It is still in the car (which now has 499,000 miles on it) and runs straight and true. The axle has outlasted three crown and pinions.

You could have the other axle welded. My Grandfather broke an axle in 1949 and had it hammer welded by an old prairie blacksmith, It is still in the car (which now has 499,000 miles on it) and runs straight and true. The axle has outlasted three crown and pinions.

Amazing!

I pulled the axle out of my 1952 l110 international in two pieces. It is a rear drivers side, semi floating. The truck had a spare in the back but it had been sitting out in the weather. Is it to rusted or pitted to use? I let it sit in evaporust and took a wire wheel to it.

[ATTACH]233191[/ATTACH]

Been there, done that. Here is a link to my experience. http://forums.aaca.org/f169/making-axles-again-322685.html

And another one by Dandy Dave: http://forums.aaca.org/f115/cant-buy-make-1915-buick-axle-228330.html

good luck :)

I managed a large truck shop for several years. In the course of my duties I ran into several incidents where axles on trucks and trailers would need axles would need repair or replacement. In these cases I would call in a welder who would come to our shop and weld new axle stubs on to repair the damaged ones. There should be a welder in your area that could perform this type repair. Be sure to keep the original bearings so he can match them to the correct axle stub.