1966 Riviera Engine swap

56Road

So i bought a 1966 Riviera thats been sitting since 1979. i found water in the 425 and when i pulled the valley pan i found a bent pushrod. i can buy a cheap 455 Buick but i know 66 they never had that motor. I need suggestions, keep the car original with the 425 nailhead or swap to 455. I love to keep it original but its cheaper to built a 455 and you can find them everywhere.

Theo, here's my 2 cents worth. It would depend upon your plans for the car. If you plan on a complete restoration you would be better to stick with an original engine. I don't think that numbers matching is a huge influence on Riviera's but a 455 may limit the number of future buyers. Also if you just pop in the 455 and then show the car at Buick type meets, be expecting to hear a lot of comments about how you have the wrong engine in there. I'm not saying they are right, just what reality is.

If you are building the car for you to enjoy, then I'd recommend doing what makes you happy and a 455 can make you very happy, especially a built 455. So the question becomes, are you building the car for you to enjoy or for others to enjoy. There is nothing wrong with either answer, I'm just trying to help you clarify your question.

For me I am an original kind of guy and keeping a car original and true to its roots makes me happy. I have built cars both ways and loved them all. If you do decide to go the 455 route and you have the space, I'd recommend saving the old engine in case you want to change it back at some point.

This free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Good luck!

Edited by ol' yeller (see edit history)

As you said im into restoring cars back to the original condition or try to be close to original. i was thinking to drop in the 455 in the car so i can have it running this Summer and rebuild the 425 if i can save the motor. The problem with the 425 other than the bent pushrod is that there is water in the engine and its been sitting without sparkplugs for a while. Car was last inspected in 79. Thanks for the advice.

Can you add some clarification to the water in the engine? Is it coolant or condensation? Is it in the valley/oil pan, or in the cylinders? Is it in the cylinders with the open spark plug holes or all?

While I agree with Ol Yeller, to me the beauty of a 66 Riviera is the nailhead. And I have seen several 401's on different craigslist ads as of late. That would give you the visual and allow time for the 425 to be reconstructed.

If the car has been sitting for 35 years there really isn't going to be a cheap way of doing anything, A modest rebuild of the 425 is going to cost $2500 to $3000. Once that critter starts coming apart three grand won't mean much compared to the end cost. If you consider all the things that weren't done before the car went into hibernation that long ago and that it was a 14 year old car at the time, there was a lot of deferred maintenance the day someone broke it.

Without the engine damage I would figure $6000 to $8000 on top of the purchase price just to make it a driver this spring. I just took a look at my records for the convertible I bought 3/15/2011. I had $7300 in parts and labor (my nephew did most of the work) when I first drove it on Thanksgiving Day the same year. not counting buying the car and transporting it 800 miles. That was before new tires, NOS wheels, and some small items I wanted to do; another $1,000. That said, I figure another $3,000 is going to go in to make me completely satisfied. The money goes fast once one gets into it.

Twenty years from now, if I manage to drive it about 800 miles a year, I'll be happy with the fun equity and the no excuses car.

The money spent will pyramid, keep the long range goal in site. There ain't no cheap way.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

First of all, I love Nailheads, my only intension for the 455 swap was so I can have the car running while I'm rebuilding the 425. Thanks for the feedback. Also I will upload pictures probably tomorrow when I pull the motor out. Water went from the carburetor because for unknown reasons the previous owner removed the air cleaner. Also spark plugs were missing when I bought the car. I pulled the dipstick and the motor has about 10 gallons of old oil and water mixed, honestly it looks like the motor was in a flood with all the sludge. The car has 81k miles on the odometer which makes me think they are original since it was driven for 13 years

Haven't done that much research on the Rivieras yet, I can't upload pics from my phone so I'll upload more when I get to my computer. By the way any visual differences between the base model and the GS? Like bucket seats, grille etc