HAD A NICE VISIT

Marty Roth

Larry Schramm let us know that he and Joyce were heading south, away from Michigan's frigid stormy wintery grip.

We got to share a very pleasant dinner, a drive through the New Orleans French Quarter, and then a light dessert of Beignets (New Orleans-style traditional square doughnuts covered in powdered sugar), and since it was a cool 65 degrees by late evening, we had some hot chocolate too!

We hope they have safe travels, and enjoy the rest of their time rolling through the Southland.

See Y'all at Chickasha in March for the Pre-War Swap Meet.

Since a lot of us Buick enthusiasts will be at Chickasha in March, maybe we should start getting the word out now and try to get as many as possible for a group gathering. Larry called me from Kansas City the other day to see if we could meet for lunch. 200 miles is a tad bit far for lunch, but, we will make up for it in March. Marty, that 65 degrees sounds just horrible - don't know how you folks stand it down there. It's 9 degrees here this afternoon with a stiff North wind that goes through you like a pack of razor blades. We hope y'all are having a Great New Years Day and we sure wouldn't mind a heaping helping of that thing they call global warming.

Terry Wiegand

A Very Cold Doo Dah

Well I wish I could share some of our old-car-friendly weather, but all I can do is to suggest that y'all travel south this time of year. It isn't perfect, but having lived and worked in the frequently-frozen parts of the country, we're back in my wife's hometown, and lovin' it.

Chickasha sounds like a good chance for a get-together, and we'll try to make it!!

Chickasha, Oklahoma has one of the nation's largest swap meets dedicated mostly to Pre-War autos and parts. It is quite an event, but get there early on Friday. For some reason, most vendors start leaving Saturday. They have a lot of indoor vendor space, too, so if the weather is nasty outside, there are still places to go and see.

From their web site:

Chickasha, Oklahoma is located in the center of the U.S. on I-44 just off of I-40 & I-35, only 35 miles SW of Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City. It is easily accessible from anywhere in the world. From Oklahoma City, take I-44 (H. E. Bailey Turnpike) west to the 1st Chickasha exit (Exit 83), turn right (west) to The Grady County Fairgrounds (about a mile on your left).

The meet has the largest selection of brass era parts anywhere. It is limited to automobiles, parts, transportation items pre-1945. There is plenty of free parking, and admission is free.

Next year the meet will be held on Thursday, March 20th and Friday, March 21st, 2014. Gates will open daily at 7:00 am. Swap Meet Venders will be allowed to come in and set up Wednesday afternoon after 4 P.M. No Vending is allowed on the fairgrounds before Thursday, March 20th.

The Fairgrounds has recently undergone a multi-million dollar renovation. The North Building, South Building, & Junior Arena Building have over 600 spaces indoors with all new restroom facilities. We also have acres of outside spaces available for anyone wishing to set up outside. There is also an area just East of the swap meet grounds available for RV parking with electric hookup. Electric is $20.00/day; parking is free. No reservations.

The success of the meet has been a joint effort of Joe, Mike, Susie & Ryan Ersland. Joe had collected antique cars for over 60 years and started the Chickasha Antique Auto Club with the 1st meeting in his living room. His swap meet experience went back to the 1960's with his involvement with The Lawton Antique Car Club, and their Swap Meet in Apache, Ok. He was an instigator in starting the 1st swap meet ever in Chickasha in 1969.

The Chickasha Pre-War Swap Meet is sponsored by The Old Pueblo Touring Association and is not affiliated with any other swap meet. The swap meet is an annual event that will always begin the 3rd Thursday in March

Glad to hear that Larry, Joyce, and you were able to get together Marty. Know that you are in good company. I have to report, I have had only good times with them. Hope their journey is tops. Dandy Dave!

Hi Dave,

They also spoke highly of their visit with you.

I didn't realize how far east you are - used to work in Poughkeepsie, and lived in Pleasant Valley, NY for one winter before IBM moved me back to NYC for the next couple of years. It was after that I moved to New Orleans -

then I got to work without slush in my socks, but had to learn to deal with the summer's heat and humidity - almost as bad as NYC, but at least we could use the beaches and go boating and swimming in the Gulf of Mexico since we had a weekend place and good-sized boat down at Grand Isle, LA (which had been the home of Pirate Jean Lafitte's crew).

Yeah Marty. There use to be a farm machinery show that started in Pleasant Valley. First show was at the ball field. It is only about an hour south of me. The club operates out of the Rhinebeck Fair grounds now and is nothing like it was back in the eighties. Last I knew it was the same time as the Antique Motor Cycle show. I was a member at one time but no longer. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Loved the big Airshow at Rhinebeck,

especially when the guy in the backseat of the Franklin Touring grabbed the axle of the Bi-Plane and made the transfer to climb onto/into the plane.

Several years ago, while on a VMCCA Tour near Limerock Park at the NY/Connecticut border, my grandson and I got to ride in an open double-cockpit (Stinson?) Bi-Plane. We got to enjoy a great view of the Hudson River Valley and the Catskills.

The Rides plane is a 1929 New Standard D-25. They have had two in operation the past few years. Been for rides in it myself several times. I have not had the time to help at the Aerodrome the last few years. One cool place. I highly recommend anyone to take the time to see the show and go out of your way to do it if you have to. Dandy Dave!

Our visit to Rhinebeck was early June, 2005. Was that the same plane then which is still being used from 8+ years back? It was a real thrill, and very LOUD !!

Some thoughts, first, Marty you need to buy that Buick convertible for sale on the other thread, I'd like a ride in it...

It's not "global warming" anymore...listen to the politicians, now it's "climate change", that way they're covered no matter what happens, gee, that sounds familiar...

As far as Chickasha, if you're seriously looking to acquire something early, be there first thing Thursday morning, show up Friday and you'll hear about what you missed....

The Rhinebeck Aerodrome is great, and there are some old cars not only used in the show but stuck away in some of the display buildings...nice website too, reminded me of a friend up here who's a member of the King family (well connected to the place) who sent me a video of the toilet paper trick.....fly an early plane up, throw out a toilet paper roll, and see how many times you can cut the tail of the roll with the wings before it hits the ground....

Finally, it was 3 degrees F here the other morning....sheesh, Marty, sure made me miss Louisiana warmth...

David,

If I bought another Buick convertible, considering my lack of garage space, I'd have to leave it with you...

But concerning the weather, today we did get to drive 65 miles in the '30 Packard Phaeton today. We headed west from Metairie on I-10, South on I-310, and west on US-90 today, and then back home again, stopping to fill up with Non-Ethanol, Dale wore a sweatshirt and didn't raise its hood. I looked marginally dapper in my leather "Gatsby" cap. Not too bad for an elderly couple, but one guy did ask if I were the original owner (smart-a$$ ??).

Hopefully we'll get to do some more drives like that one in the '14 Buick next week.

Our visit to Rhinebeck was early June, 2005. Was that the same plane then which is still being used from 8+ years back? It was a real thrill, and very LOUD !!

Yes. The planes go though annual inspections every year and are kept current. Dandy Dave!

The Rhinebeck Aerodrome is great, and there are some old cars not only used in the show but stuck away in some of the display buildings...nice website too, reminded me of a friend up here who's a member of the King family (well connected to the place) who sent me a video of the toilet paper trick.....fly an early plane up, throw out a toilet paper roll, and see how many times you can cut the tail of the roll with the wings before it hits the ground...

The insurance companies forced the "retirement" of Bill King, and Stanley Segalla, (The flying farmer) about 3 years back. Said they were too old to fly in the show. Both excellent pilots that I am glad I got to work around them and see in action many times. I was there for the last show they flew. It was a bittersweet experience for both them, and the ground crew. Bill King Flew the Tiger Moth and did the "Delsey Dive" nearly every weekend. Dandy Dave!

I've flown with Andrew King, and also watched him land some early planes. His touch on the controls is amazing.....He's an outstanding pilot, even has Autogyro time in his logbook.

Didn't you do some flying??

I must say that the visit Joyce and I had with Marty & Dale was extremely pleasant. We had a great discussion on cars and travels. They were very gracious hosts to the city and showed us around the local sites which was greatly appreciated. Thanks so much to them both. The rest of the trip was uneventful which meant it went great.

Didn't you do some flying??

Yes, I used to fly 152/172 Cessna's, and was partners in an Aeronca Champ (which my then-younger girls nicknamed "Aeronca Aeronca Burnin' Love" since they liked Elvis). I enjoyed the low and slow, and was purely a fair weather pilot.

Finally gave it up, just too much going on, and if you think cars are expensive you should dabble with airplanes, you'd be grateful cars are so cheap. The old story goes that a neophyte asked the owner of the airplane "How much money does it take to own and operate a plane?" and the answer was "All of it...."

Flying is great, though, the sky is wide open and it sure beats fighting trucks on the Interstate to get somewhere. Small planes are very safe, if you make sure it's in tip-top shape, do your ground inspection, and don't let circumstances force you into flying when you're not comfortable doing so. As in many hobbies that get us beyond the normal realms of experience, panic is your deadly enemy. I used to scuba dive in the Gulf of Mexico, and the same rule applies, keep calm and deal with a situation or panic and die.

There are always sayings that go along with such hobbies, such as the "no old, bold pilots", there are a few that have application elsewhere. One with flying is "What kills you? Altitude above you, runway behind you, and just a second ago all was fine".

The other, which I think applies to much of life, is, if in trouble, "Aviate-Navigate-Communicate". In other words, first keep the plane flying and in the air. Second, know where you are and what your options might be. Third, let someone know there's a problem.

Sorry I just got carried away typing, long answer to a short question....

Yup. The worst thing you can say... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.... were all gonna die! With any situation, It is best to keep your head on and get out of dangers way if you can. Screaming like an idiot is not going to help. Oh, And don't leave you parachute home. Dandy Dave!