FINALLY!!! I just got my new wiring harness for my '31 Dodge!!!

keiser31

FINALLY!!! I just got my new wiring harness for my '31 Dodge Brothers coupe! Now the fun begins....

If anyone out there has gotten a new wiring harness and has any installation tips, I would love to hear them. It looks pretty straightforward, but a person can always use advice from someone who has installed one. Thanks. John

post-37352-14314229068_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

John,

That's great news, I had a feeling it was going to be arriving soon. You know if I were there we'd have that installed in no time. Just lay it all out and confirm what harness go where, obviously take your time and you should have no problem getting it all done. I am curious though as there is probably a wire that goes to your dome light and am trying to think how you're going to install that behind the trim, that could be a challenge. Great news though. Scott...

Their wiring instructions/schematic may be a bit different than what you expected or are used to but once you get on to it you will find them amazingly straight forward and simple. BTW, if you need help or have questions I found them to be very easy to deal with. Enjoy...............Bob

John,

That's great news, I had a feeling it was going to be arriving soon. You know if I were there we'd have that installed in no time. Just lay it all out and confirm what harness go where, obviously take your time and you should have no problem getting it all done. I am curious though as there is probably a wire that goes to your dome light and am trying to think how you're going to install that behind the trim, that could be a challenge. Great news though. Scott...

#1- The business coupe did not come with a dome light although I have one to put in from a deluxe coupe. #2- The car has no interior trim so it will be very easy to install that wire.

Congrats on receiving that "new" Dodge harness, John. One step closer to Cruising, EH!!!! What vendor did you use? Did / do you have to use any of the old sockets, clips, clamps etc. from the old harness? Thanks for the post. Keep us updated!

Post Script: You should have probably ordered TWO!!! One for each, huh?

Edited by Willys77 (see edit history)

Congrats on receiving that "new" Dodge harness, John. One step closer to Cruising, EH!!!! What vendor did you use? Did / do you have to use any of the old sockets, clips, clamps etc. from the old harness? Thanks for the post. Keep us updated!

Post Script: You should have probably ordered TWO!!! One for each, huh?

I used Rhode Island Wiring Service. Yes, I was going to order two because I was feeling rich after I sold my A100 pickup, but then I realized that I am still workless and will have other bills to pay. I do have a few of some of the original clips, sockets and wiring, but not much. Most of it had been replaced a while back and not very well done as witnessed by the dash fire.

I'm very interested in your install also. Had my '38 Plymouth out at a show that ran late and needed headlights. After about a minute I smelled something getting hot. Looks like that 75 year old wire has shorted out somewhere. I am looking at Rhode Island Wiring for the replacement. Greg

I'm very interested in your install also. Had my '38 Plymouth out at a show that ran late and needed headlights. After about a minute I smelled something getting hot. Looks like that 75 year old wire has shorted out somewhere. I am looking at Rhode Island Wiring for the replacement. Greg

I am anxious to start in on the installation. The weather all of a sudden got colder (Murphy's law), and I really want to install the harness while it is pliable from the warm weather. I will be documenting the event as I go.

I bought my harness from RI wiring also. Fits and works perfect. I highly recommend them.

When I replaced the engine wiring from my '57 Brougham, I first put masking tape on the connectors writing down the location or consumer:

post-66721-143142300782_thumb.jpg

Then I took the old wiring out, doing many pictures because it was a tad more complex than a one from the thirties.

Then, I compared both to be sure there was no error into the new wiring. Indeed, I found some errors but usually after it was installed, like here a wire too short or there the wrong connector.

I don't remember when I did the job; 15 to 18°C is not bad for that. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see how it goes,I am thinking about going back to a more correct cloth covered wiring harness for my 37 Chevy p/u but since its not all original will probably have to make my own harness again. I like having more modern quick disconnects over what they originally had to make servicing a little easier.