License Plate Restoration

Guest bonno5id

Anyone have a good current reference for plate restoration? Thanks for your time and help. Jim

If you are asking if anyone can restore license plates I do know someone who does this and does a great job. Send me a PM if you like.

Guest bofusmosby

I'm sure that different states have different rules, but if you want to use it on your old car, check with your state first. Down here in Florida, they will only accept un-restored plates, and they must be sent to Tallahassee to be aproved before they can be used. I got a good 1937 Florida plate that looks good unrestored, and some day, plan on sending it to them for their approval.

I've done a few YOM plates on my cars in Virginia, all they care about is that they match, look to be more or less in decent condition, and no one is using the same number as the plates you show them (that search takes a long time, for some reason, last one for 1967 plates was about 30 minutes).....so restored plates should be OK.....

Guest bofusmosby
so restored plates should be OK.....

They flat out told me that ALL restored plates will be rejected. Of course, this is in Flolida.

In Illinois if you have the original plates that the state issues for limited use of Antique autos you can, if you have the state issued plate in your car, use year appropriate original plates. If you run what they call the Expanded Antique plates you cannot. Thus I have a set of Illinois original 1952 Plates that are going to be for sale soon.

Anyone have a good current reference for plate restoration? Thanks for your time and help. Jim

Try restoring plates yourself. It's really easy. I learned how to do it from an article in Jim Richardson's restoration guide. Assuming your plate doesn't need any serious metal work, restoration really just requires a good primer and a lacquer base in the color of the letters and numerals. Then paint over the plate, and carefully wipe away the background color, since that color won't adhere well to the lacquer. I've done several sets of plates for some of my cars, and they look like they were minted in 1931.

I can't remember who I had restore a plate for me a few years ago, but I have the following recommendation. Before you send out a plate to have it restored, do a lot of internet research on the topic.

My research showed one of the venders had a lot of complaints, and I believe they are listed in one of the other postings above. If a vender does good work, but you are one of the people that never gets your plate back then what good are they. The complaints were thing like "They lost my plates", "After six months and several calls or emails I still don't have my plates back", or "I'll never use this guy again". I usually ignore complaints when it is only one of two people, but at the time I was researching this one vender had an excessive number of complaints.

Visit my website at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze114b79/

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi