I will have to rethink attending some swapmeets and shows

junkyardjeff

The price of gasoline is always a factor but I've never understood not taking a trip because of it. If you take a 1000 mile trip and get 25 mpg., you'll use 40 gallons of gas. At $2.50 a gallon, that's $100. At $3.50 a gallon, it's $140. If I can't come up with another $40 somewhere, then something's wrong. Likewise, if I drive my 2013 Taurus to Hershey, it'll average 28 mpg. If I drive my '72 LTD, it'll average 17 mpg. It's 1250 miles so at 28 mpg, I'd use 44 gallons of gas. At 17 mpg, I'd use 73 gallons. 44 gallons at $3.50 is $154. 73 gallons at $3.50 is $255 or $100 more to bring the LTD. When you're talking Hershey, $100 more for gas is a non-issue.

Everybody has their ideas about shows.

Mine are NO judging, NO trophies and NO best of show.

If I have to pay $20 to show off my drivers so what?

I get way more than $20 worth of FUN driving them both ways and probably $40 worth of smiles and "thumbs up" from other drivers and motorcyclists especially....... :)

Its about the same here now and I blew my budget for the month going to a show that was about 130 miles two days,friday I had to go about half way to pick up some lawn mower parts so I went up to the show in my big block powered truck. Today I drove my 55 Ford convertible so I am glad the show season is about over so I can save up for next year.

I purchased gasoline in East Chicago, Indiana, this A.M. for $3.23 a gallon. For the Chicago Metro area, that is pretty cheap gas.

Like I said before, buy a minivan. 25MPG or better. Take a friend to split the gas if that is not good enough. Take out the back seats before you go and you can haul a surprising amount of "swap meet bargains".

The bigger minivans will tow a car trailer if suitably equipped with a weight equalizing hitch, electric brakes, and transmission cooler. Works even better if you go one size smaller on the tires for better gearing (if the vehicle came with 70 series tires get 60. If it came with 60 get 50 etc)

I have been doing this for years. Went to 2 shows yesterday in my minivan and enjoyed the whole day.