Body Damaged 75 Convertible

Guest BJM

New quarter panel to ever get it right

That's what most will tell you and it is the best way...if you can find a replacement panel. There are people out there that can repair that. The metal on that car is still workable. My 76 Olds was smacked hard on the RR...worse than that one and there is no evidence of repair outside or inside the trunk.

Willie

Guest Straight eight

A device known as a Porta Power will repair this damage. It is a hydraulic cylinder that attaches to the body on either side of the damage, and reverses the damage action by pulling out the damage in reverse of the way it happened.

I see a good bit of metal "stretching" and such there. Not to say that some "motivated individual" might be able to re-shape the existing metal and such, BUT it would most possibly be MORE cost effective to find a patch panel from a donor vehicle. Might also be easier to find somebody that can do the patch than to find somebody with excellent metal working expertise for a "metal working" repair, by observation.

One key thing with patch panels, when you have enough space to do so, is to place the patch's edges in a place where they won't be expected to be seen, AND do them in such a manner that there is no visible "high spot/low spot" where the patch meets the original sheet metal. For where that one's hit, a similar hardtop could be a good donor vehicle for the repair.

Hope you're going to get it "worth the money"?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Perhaps sectioning the quarter is an option as well vs full replacement. Replacing the whole quarter will be expensive but maintains the best integrity. Sectioning it will be a little less expensive but then you don't have as clean a job......but sufficient nonetheless for the car in the hands of a skilled metal guy/welder. The owner probably got a couple bids to replace the quarter and realized the cost was more than the car is worth. This is a true "bodymans" DIYS special.

Did anyone ask, as it is not mentioned. Did the tree hit with the top down or up? Before getting dazzled but what is probably a low price for a good body person, to fix and possibly resell, what about the convertible top. Surely, if it was up, that too must have some serious damage. John

Edited by jscheib
spelling (see edit history)

Did the tree hit with the top down or up? John

From what is said in the original ad and from the pictures with the top down, I'd say it was hit with the top down. If the top had been up, chances are you would not have been able to get it back down. Just a WAG on my part.

Ed

Bryan, there's a body man here who could fix it. He's A number ONE..... Talented to say the least. My '32 Packard fenders had been stretched out of shape by a former owner who had it caught on a post, and they looked like the dickens.... If you saw them right now, you'd say they were factory original.... I'd love to have the car, but after buying the Roady.. that lets me out, much to my sorrow...

I thought the original ad mentioned that the top would need replaced, but I see the ad has been removed. Sold? Anyway, nice discussion because there are a lot of similar, although not as extreme, damaged vehicles out there. Would be a shame to part this out. I was just amazed at the metal and how it folded up, rather then a puncture or cut. It kind of looks like someone "melted" it right there in that spot of damage