Paint versus Powder Coating

Crazy4cruz

OK, I'm looking for thoughts, opinions, words or warning, whatever. Which is better for refinishing interior metal pieces such as the speaker grill in the dash and the kick plate grills? Painting or Powder Coating? My Riv has a dark green custom interior but the original grills were all taken out. I'm putting them all back in but they are all a dark brown color. Which way should I go?

IMHO powder coating gives a finish and durability that paint can't beat. If you parts are susceptible to scuffs and scratches, I'd say coat them. The only downside I see is that coating can sometimes "load up" in parts with subtle details and obscure the features.This might be a consideration with the grills you are mentioning. Lots of guys coat under hood and suspension parts only to find that they don't fit back together because the coating has filled in the mounting holes, threads or even added dimension to the parts so they become too snug. Nobody wants to have to re-drill or grind a beautifully coated part if they can avoid it. PRL

If you re going to leave the car outside in the weather with the windows open the powder coating will hold up a lot better.

Like PRL says, the powder coat tends to fill the holes slightly. That could create cracks around the retaining screw heads at the back window and cant rail trim.

I have been real happy with Valspar Satin Black polyurethane for items like that although my interior trim is still factory black lacquer, looking good with a little wear around the ignition switch.

Bernie

Depending on the closeness of the fit, powder coating can add an extra dimension to your piece; powder coating can make pieces bigger so they won't fit. For your situation, I'd consider cost against the wear factor. I don't remember the radio grills being smooth so I wouldn't want to powder coat them. The vent grills could get some wear and tear from being kicked - they are on the kick panel - so powder coating might be beneficial. When I first looked into powder coating, there were limited colors. Color matching might be something to consider as well.

Ed

The following is my personal opinion and may not be consistent with others. Powder coating is over rated for most applications on a classic car that will rarely ever see rain and is stored in a garage. Many people I see using it in place of paint do so just because they get caught up in the powder coat hype and its the current "hot trend".

Yes powder coating is a superior finish and pays off most when whatever is being coated will be subject to harsh environmental conditions such as direct sun/ozone every day, hot and cold temperature extremes, moisture, abrasion and exposure to chemicals like salt or other corrosives.

Rarely does any part of a classic car see any of those.......and especially the interior.

Paint is a fraction of the cost and easier to touch up if it does get damaged. I've had several people ask me why I don't powder coat parts on my 66 restoration. I don't use it for a couple primary reasons. One because it's not authentic or what was used originally. Two, I simply can't justify the cost. A properly applied modern paint system is very duarable.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest mstanleyfl
I'm actually thinking of having myself powder coated. I frequently get scuffed, abraded and I'm outside a lot. Most of my parts don't fit like they used to anyway. Cost be damned. I'm worth it. PRL

There is one in every crowd....

I've been coating everything that I can. It looks much better and saves me the hassle of prepping and painting (which I usually am lesser skilled at anyway). The powder coater I use is very reasonable. He sometimes only charges $5 for small parts, like the kick panel grille. So, cost is not an issue. If you are worried about holes filling smaller, make sure to ask your coater to mask the holes first. I've had some holes masked and that prevented problems with size.

About the only downside are the color choices. You either live with the colors that the coater has in inventory, or try to special order them (usually at a premium cost) and hope that they match your need when it comes in.

Guest Kingoftheroad
I'm actually thinking of having myself powder coated. I frequently get scuffed, abraded and I'm outside a lot. Most of my parts don't fit like they used to anyway. Cost be damned. I'm worth it. PRL

LOL, thats funny !!

I would paint interior items. I'd consider powder coating items that take a REAL beating like painted wheels on your car or truck...

Guest Gseago

For interior pieces I would cast my vote for paint. Painting isn't as difficult as some make it out to be, just make sure your metal pieces are well prepped. Save the powder coating for under carriage and suspension parts. On a side note many companies are offering DIY powder coating kit with a variety of colors, If you have a friend(or friends) that is also doing a restoration maybe you can split the initial costs of a DIY kit with him(them). Who knows it may turn into a way to make extra funds for your restoration. Eastwood