Anyone Chrome Lately?

Paul Falabella

I've had Paul's Plating do all of my chroming on all of my cars.

Pricey, but exceptional quality, and they stand behind their work.

Probably one of the best in the country, at least in my opinion.

Marty

If you use two different re-platers make sure they both use the same process, either tri or hex valient, or your parts will not be the same "color"............Bob

Yes I second that point as well. If you plan on chroming just a piece here and a piece there, to even get close to matching existing good pieces, make sure it is the Hexa-chrome process they are using and not the tri-valent process as they produce completely different looking results when compared side by side. Your Buick came with the Hexavalent process and renders a blueish hue to the chrome. The trivalent process is a process where they have to among other things, add a dye to the bath solution to give the "chrome" effect. End result here tends to move toward a crisp white like chrome effect. Think plastic chrome pieces on your model car as a kid or on you 80's car interiors.

Going the correct Hex route will narrow down your choices of who you will ultimately hire as the EPA has put more pressure on the Hex process than the Tri process but the end result will be most pleasing and correct just like your original chrome work. I look at it this way IMO: A 40's and 50's era car does not look right with a base coat / clear coat paint job nor a paint job with metal flake. Well the same holdis true in with the chrome.

<A 40's and 50's era car does not look right with a base coat / clear coat paint job>

Agree there, kind of like looking at the paint through Saran wrap.

I am curious why the Northeast seems to have much higher prices for chrome work than most of the rest of the country? Seems I'd save a boatload if I went to Col. or Ariz. or Ala. Librandi's and Paul's quote very high prices, are not in expensive/high tax areas. Others have mentioned much lower prices elsewhere.

I'd just like to be able to drop off and pick up but don't want to make a transcon trip.

Agree there, kind of like looking at the paint through Saran wrap.

I am curious why the Northeast seems to have much higher prices for chrome work than most of the rest of the country? Seems I'd save a boatload if I went to Col. or Ariz. or Ala. Librandi's and Paul's quote very high prices, are not in expensive/high tax areas. Others have mentioned much lower prices elsewhere.

I'd just like to be able to drop off and pick up but don't want to make a transcon trip.

There is no free lunch in re-chroming. The plating itself is measured in minutes, the preparation is measured in hours and the final result is totally dependent on the preparation and attention to detail. Generally speaking, the less you pay for a re-chrome the less the quality of preparation and the more of "good enough" you will get. Also a top quality shop has pride in their work and will promptly fix any defects that show up later. You are the best judge of what you will be satisfied with so plan on paying accordingly.

Paul

For driver quality plating on steel parts of the bumpers, check with some local body shops and ask where they send the truck bumpers (only things with chrome nowadays). I found one shop that agreed to act as an agent, the parts were picked up, sent to Mexico and returned with the best of any plating I previously had done. Your parts would not go to Mexico, but might go to a locale that had less taxes, regulation and mercenary spirit.

Willie

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Straight eight

JP Plating in Portland Indiana, near South Bend. Had 12 pieces done which varied in condition, and when done,

they were all perfect. Great folks to deal with. They are listed as JP Plating on the internet, and it will give you an

address and phone number to contact them.