Henry Leland, c1929

MochetVelo

Here, in unedited footage, is Henry Leland talking about the old days and in an old one-cylinder Cadillac. He was in his 80's when this was taken (and passed in 1932). He couldn't quite get the car started, but looks pretty good for his age! [university of South Carolina Archives]

http://dvr-streaming.mirc.sc.edu/MVTN_8-902_Acc1.mp4

I was thinking, though I'm sure incorrectly, that Henry and Edsel Ford are in the film, also. Sure looks like them!

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

Guest prs519

Thanks much for posting this, Phil. I never dreamed I would hear Henry Leland's voice! Never thought of him as a star in a cartoon, either!

I like it... but its pretty unlikely either Ford was there. Leland doesn't even mention Ford in his list of pioneers which is not terribly surprising since HF supposedly detested Leland and never forgave him for making a success of the company that had fired him. Its asking a lot for an 80 year old man to crank that car. I've cranked one many times and it isn't all that easy. Did anyone notice the rope tied to the axle? I think that its actually being towed...

I think the feelings between Henry Ford and Henry Leland were mutual. I did note that Leland didn't mention Ford as one of the pioneers. It's the first time I've ever heard Leland's voice. I've read his biography and he was truly a brilliant machinist. Rog

For whatever reason, the video tried to play on adobe reader and says it can't do it. I have no idea how to make it play... Could anyone offer any help?

I found it loaded to slow from the Internet to "stream", had to actually right click and save it on my computer. Turns out that it is a MPEG4 file which should be playable via nearly any media playing application (Windows media player, Movie player on Linux, Quicktime on Mac, etc.)

Additional information as provided by a retired Cadillac Motor Car Company executive:

These are out takes for a film made in 1930-1931. It features Indian Village resident Henry M. Leland, the founder of both Cadillac (1902) and Lincoln (1917) speaking from the front porch of 1052 Seminole. The scenes that follow appear to have been taken on East Jefferson Avenue starting about Iroquois and terminating in the Van Dyke area. Views of the original homes, the streetcar, the overall streetscape, the cars and businesses provide a marvelous glimpse of the period. Also notice the very elegant 1930-31 Cadillac V16(?) on the right of the 1906 that is running interference as a protection from other vehicles..

Henry recalls his memories about the founding of the automobile industry. He was about age 88 at the time the film was made. From the late 1920s though the time of his death in March 26, 1932, Henry lived with his daughter Gertrude and son in law Angus Woodbridge at their residence 1052 Seminole.

My wife and I had the pleasure of having Henry's grand daughters, Miriam and Gertrude, as quests at our home during our 23 years residence in Indian Village. They lived at the Whittier (Hotel) at the time. I was also privileged to be able to send a limousine to convey them to the opening of the Cadillac Historical Collection which at the time was housed in the Cadillac Plant on Clark Avenue.

And a bit more info:

* 1052 Seminole: File:1052-seminole-detroit-michigan-henry-leland.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Indian Village is an area of affluent homes developed in the late 1800s/early 1900s running from Jefferson (along the Detroit River) back about a mile. Original residents included movers & shakers of of the early auto industry. Most of the homes are still standing, many are beautifully restored. They can vary in size up to 12,000 square feet.

post-31591-143142058148_thumb.jpg

FYI, Henry's personal vehicle and first 'enclosed' car, the 1905 Cadillac known as 'Osceola', is owned by the Detroit Historical Museum and could be in danger of liquidation/sale pending City of Detroit bankruptcy action.

Guest Magoo

FYI, Henry's personal vehicle and first 'enclosed' car, the 1905 Cadillac known as 'Osceola', is owned by the Detroit Historical Museum and could be in danger of liquidation/sale pending City of Detroit bankruptcy action.

Yes, indeed -- though I believe the car is currently in the possession of the GM Heritage Collection, so it's in a safe place.

Personally, I have no problem with the DHS car collection being sold off to benefit the pensioners or fund vital operating expenses. I'm sure the cars would end up in good hands.

However, my fear is that the proceeds from such a sale would simply be siphoned off by lawyers and other assorted parasites, as with so many other city assets for the past 100 years. I am told that such a sale could also set a dangerous precedent for the DIA's billion-dollar art collection.

The person in the tan overcoat is Wilfred Leland, Henry Lerand's only son. I believe the man behind the wheel is Edsel Ford. Remember that the sale of Lincoln to Ford in 1922 caused friction between the two families as Henry Ford did not honor a verbal agreement (with Henry Leland) to take care of the original Lincoln shareholders after the bankruptcy sale to pay creditors. This was a case that went to the Michigan Supreme Court which concluded that "unless the agreement is in writing, it doesn't exist". Today this is basic Contact/Tort law as we know it. Henry Leyland died in 1932 believing he failed his original Lincoln share holders. The Lincoln Division under Edsel did well untill his untimely death in 1943., but did see the Continental introduced.

Early History of the Lincoln Motorcar Company

Edited by Friartuck
correct date (see edit history)

I've also heard/read that Henry Ford fed Edsel unpasteurized milk when Edsel was a boy. That, plus all the aggravation caused by his father possibly led to Edsel's cancer. Rog

Not sure when pasteurization of milk became common in the US but apparently unpasteurized milk was still common in the UK into the late 1930s. Wouldn't be too surprised if it were the case here too. Edsel was born in the late 1890s and I would be surprised if pasteurization of milk was very common then.