1937 Special Progress

bobj49f2

The recent post by Groselle has inspired me to post a thread about my '37 Special. Many things have happened since I bought my original '37 Special. I ended up scrapping that car after putting a lot of work into it, after buying two engines, a '36 and '40. I ended up buying a different body and chassis. I was able to save the front fenders, which are side mount which I have been told are fairly rare on a Special. I also saved some trim pieces and other parts. I bought a couple of parts cars and got some pretty good finds, one being a complete dual carb set up for the 248.

As of now I have done some pretty major body repairs. I figure I've replaced about 20% of the body, making all my own patch panels. I still have to do a couple of more patches. Once I'm done I'll have the body blasted so it's clean, epoxy primed and ready for finish body work. The attached images detail the work that's been done on the car and what is still needed to be done.

I have a section of my website set up with pictures detailing the work I've done on my Special so far.

1937 Buick Special Page

The latest work is on the last few pages:

1937 Buick Special Page 7

post-63376-143141996487_thumb.jpg

post-63376-143141996494_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobj49f2 (see edit history)

Mark, are these old cars ever done? I will try to keep working on the car, I'm hoping to have it back on the chassis in a week or so. After that I'll be doing the body work on it and getting it in primer. I still have the fenders and doors to do. These parts are also in rough shape but not nearly as bad as the body.

BTW, do you have to be a BCA member to get the PWD newsletter?

Bob,

Yes, the PWD is a division of the BCA and requires BCA membership. I urge you to become a member for all the contacts and benefits of The Bugle magazine. And, of course to belong to the PWD too! Feel free to use my membership number as your sponsor when you complete the form.

• 1 month later...
Guest Waynebuick
The recent post by Groselle has inspired me to post a thread about my '37 Special. Many things have happened since I bought my original '37 Special. I ended up scrapping that car after putting a lot of work into it, after buying two engines, a '36 and '40. I ended up buying a different body and chassis. I was able to save the front fenders, which are side mount which I have been told are fairly rare on a Special. I also saved some trim pieces and other parts. I bought a couple of parts cars and got some pretty good finds, one being a complete dual carb set up for the 248.

As of now I have done some pretty major body repairs. I figure I've replaced about 20% of the body, making all my own patch panels. I still have to do a couple of more patches. Once I'm done I'll have the body blasted so it's clean, epoxy primed and ready for finish body work. The attached images detail the work that's been done on the car and what is still needed to be done.

I have a section of my website set up with pictures detailing the work I've done on my Special so far.

1937 Buick Special Page

The latest work is on the last few pages:

1937 Buick Special Page 7

I have a 37 special we restored and a guy texting in a pick-up crossed the line and destroyed the driver's side fender on the4way to church this morning. Every one was alright but the fender is not salvegable. Would you possibly have one? Thanks for the reply....Bob

Sorry to hear about the accident, morons with cell phones and texting. Hopefully the idiot has good insurance. Hound the hell out of them to get your car fix correctly. No, sorry, I don't have an extra fender. Have you tried Dave Tacheny? If you don't know about Dave Google his name and you'll find all his contact information on at least a dozen sites. The best time to get him is after 6 pm CST via phone, he doesn't do much with the internet.

An update on my Special. I have all of the metal work done on the body. I even leaded the bead and edge of the rear quarter panels. I tried leading maybe 30 years ago and couldn't do it. For some reason this time I was able to get the lead to stick and even shape it without having it run off. It was relatively simple.

After doing the rocker panels while the body was still on the rotisserie I mounted the body on the chassis today.

picture250.jpg

picture251.jpg

picture252.jpg

picture253.jpg

picture254.jpg

picture255.jpg

Thanks everyone. That's actually my business shop. I operate a non-auto related business and have a portion reserve for servicing my company truck, and whatever happens to come through. I've spent many hours outside on the gravel working on my projects. Little by little I have been able to move up.

I have a Lincoln 250 MIG welder. It's a little too big, the smallest wire I can push through it is .30, a little too heavy for sheet metal but I was able to make it work.