Progress on my latest addition

KDirk

I thought I would start a thread to document the work being done to my most recently acquired Reatta, an early build 88 white over burgundy with suede seats.

Here is what has been done since Wednesday:

- Replaced ECM. This corrected symptoms of no cooling fans and no A/C clutch engagement,

- Repaired a bunch of wiring (poor splices to run dedicated grounds, related to failed ECM) under hood and inside cabin. Hosed out lower portion of engine bay - lots of tree debris and general junk.

- Replaced turn signal module - right rear output was smoked.

- Replaced radio module, sound was awful. Still need to do speakers.

- Repaired glovebox power release.

- Replaced glovebox light.

- Replaced console inverter (black one)

- Replaced twilight photocell (more details on this later)

- Did repairs to dash pad (big plastic piece) and will be repainting while it is out.

- Pulled entire center console while RIM and turn signal module were out, as there had been mice (!!) in there at some point. All pizzed up inside, so scrubbed everything, dried and reinstalled. Vacuumed out debris. Did close inspection for wiring chew damage. None found, thankfully.

- Reordered fuses in console fuse block. Someone had these ALL mixed up, surprised there weren't any blown as a couple of 20 amp circuits had 10 amp fuses, and several other screw ups.

- Cleaned remants of black vinyl cover from shifter plate trim, and polished up the stainless strip underneath. Also removed deteriorated decals from window and mirror switches. I am working on new decals, so will be refurbishing these shortly.

- Put proper hardware (bolts, nuts, etc) back in several places where it was either missing or substituted with the wrong parts.

- Washed car and buffed out almost the whole thing with medium cut cleaner. Looks much better now, though has a lot of rock chips, some minor to moderate scratches and several dings. Will need some body work on lower portion of passenger door due to scrape that left a crease in the steel.

Major items still to be addressed to make it drivable:

- TPS problem (seems to be bad sensor, new one coming next week)

- Bad coolant pipe from throttle body to intake manifold (has a pinhole leak due to being tweaked at some point past) have entire throttle body with pipe coming.

- Coolant flush and change

- Oil change

- Gaskets from intake manifold on up, and tuneup.

- Transmission service (fluid/filter/gasket) although transmission is working nice and smooth.

- Change brake fluid (brakes work fine but taking no chances).

- Battery tray is shot, looks like a leaking battery ate it away. Will be replacing and treating other minor rust in surrounding area.

This sounds like a lot (and I guess it is) but it is a 25 year old car after all. It has certainly not had the kind of care and maintenance it should have for a while now. It was just decent enough (and cheap enough) to make it worth my while. When done, I will have a very nice low mile 88 coupe (63,250 as of right now). My other 88 has 42,600 or so, essentially making for a matched pair of low mile cars.

Since I will inevitably end up doing paint work, I am considering if I should do something different. I hate the idea of changing the color, as it is way more work. I just have a hard time with the notion of doing a repaint to end up with a clone of my other two Reattae. That will be a ways off yet, so there is plenty of time to consider the options on this.

KDirk

Kevin,

Wow, got a lot done in a days time!

Since I will inevitably end up doing paint work, I am considering if I should do something different.

I'll tell you what a paint guy tolds me one time, " If you wanted a red car, you should have bought a red car."

He was griping about all the masking needed and how it seemed that no matter how well one tried, you never could never cover of all of the original color.

John F.

I agree with John's paint guy (about buying the color car you wanted). I'm resisting the idea of a color change, and probably won't do it. I have been kicking it around though. I thought about doing it in claret red (burgundy) but that is about as drastic a change as I could make and would never be able to hide the last vestiges of white. If it weren't a burgundy interior, would even consider polo green as I like the color. But, with the interior color mismatch, and the amount of work (masking and dis-assembly) to go from white to either of those colors, probably not going to happen. Ol' Yeller has the other idea I like, pearl white. Problem there is the cost - it is a three stage paint job and is also terrible to repair if the need arises (to get both the color and the metallic to match from one panel to the next). I know there are single stage metallic white colors available, but not sure how good they look.

Need to focus on what needs to be done for now, and stop getting distracted by the longer term plans. First and foremost I need to get it reliable for use as a regular driver. Then it will be on to the cosmetic issues.

KDirk

- Reordered fuses in console fuse block. Someone had these ALL mixed up, surprised there weren't any blown as a couple of 20 amp circuits had 10 amp fuses, and several other screw ups...

No doubt you do what I do, and make sure all the fuses are oriented so the values can be read from the same direction. This is a detail that every car I've ever owned has gotten wrong from the factory. Even Porsche and MB.

Nice work so far!

Wws944:

Man do you have my number. Yes, all the fuses are seated with their values right side up. More important is that they are all correct ampacity for their respective circuits.

Keith, in my spare time I am sleeping and eating. Right now I have finished stripping the aluminum cover at the lower edge of the windshield, it was all scratched up. Primer is drying as I type.

Then I will be putting some interior trim back in, then back to under the hood. Have some exterior bulbs to change and need to polish the tail and cornering lamps.

KDirk

Guest Corvanti

re: paint, i agree with Padgett's "Code 10" - "Arctic White". that's what i'm going to use when i get a round-tuit.:)

although the Caddy pearl would be sweet if the $$$ was no object...

Ok, another day, and some more stuff done.

- Reattached rear view mirror mount.

- Finished putting the center console together.

- Pulled the rear quarter trim and wiped down the inner body sheet metal to get all the mouse "stuff" off.

- Replaced the rear woofers with a set of Alpine 6.5" units. Foam surrounds on the stock drivers was GONE. Retained stock tweeters. I am happy with the sound of this setup, and since I lacked another set of 90/91 style speaker mounting plates with 6x9 openings, I decided to make due with what I had. Still need to do front speakers.

- Removed most of the (poor) tinting on the windows. Now I have the unenviable task of removing the adhesive. Looks like I probably will grow a tumor from extensive use of lacquer thinner and methyl ethyl ketone.

- Pulled the headliner, it is rather sorry. No sagging, but terribly discolored, especially at the rear. Material on order.

- Pulled trunk carpet and sound shield, vacuumed out mouse stuff and 25 years of accumulated dust/debris. Need to hand wash and dry carpet.

To be done over this week yet:

- Will be cutting and installing new sound deadening material in the rear quarters to replace the rockwool that the mice chewed up to build a nest.

- Will pull drivers seat (suede is shot) and put a spare passenger side 16-way style seat in burgundy I have on hand as a stop gap. Need to get synthetic suede ordered and take this to the upholstery guy.

- Will strip headliner form, do some repairs and get it ready to recover.

- Will be going tomorrow to get reproduction decals made for the mirror and window switches. If these turn out well enough I will be offering to refurb 88/89 mirror and window switches before too much longer.

Have found a source for velour carpet from a place in MI that does MB and Porche interior restoration. About $70 a linear yard, I need enough to do the rear storage bin and the door panel inserts. So, probably two yards. Hey, it's only money, right? Anyway, waiting to hear back from them on color selection, and will probably get that ordered soon.

It looks like I will be giving this one the full treatment. I initially was resisting that, but I just can't do anything halfway. I may yet do this one in pearl white, but the repaint will be next year at the soonest. I may repaint the worst parts (bumper trim and filler) in the current color myself to improve the appearance until then.

KDirk

post-52795-143141999536_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143141999557_thumb.jpg

Edited by KDirk
added pictures (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti

great work, Kevin!!!:)

can i borrow some of your energy? i seem to have misplaced most of mine...:P

Ok, here we go. As of now I have this car code free! Had a bad TPS, put on a spare and adjusted to .38 volts baseline reading. Car now runs smooth with no codes or warning lights/messages.

Have the engine bay fairly clean (cleared acorns and other debris) but not show worthy.

Before I tuck the ecm back into the dash, I will be burning a modified ANCX PROM that will activate the cooling fans at lower temperature. Then I can get the underside of the dash tidied up.

New headliner material will be here Thursday and will get that and the A-pillars done over the weekend.

Coming along nicely!

KDirk

You can come work on my '91 vert when you're done, Kevin! Other than washing it, it's had nothing done to it since its arrival from California. I've been too just getting my car, John Sheib's Reatta, plus my truck and trailer ready for South Bend to do anything on my projects :(

First on the list when I get back though is to get all the tranny seals replaced.

Marck,

If you weren't so far way, I'd offer to come help out. I clearly enjoy working on these cars. Sure, they can be frustrating just like any other, but it keeps my troubleshooting skills - and my mind in general - sharpened by tracking down and eliminating the sort of problems that I have encountered with all three cars. "Threatta" may be the one on which I finally cut my teeth on body work. It needs some minor repair to the passenger door, and has some dings that may not be repairable by paintless dent removal due to lack of access between panels. Also have some crazing at the rear of the roof panel that will need to be stripped to bare metal.

So, I will probably do that much and get it ready for paint. Already have experience from the 91 in removing and reinstalling the exterior trim, handles, badging and so forth. Will save a ton of money that way too. My mom has a neighbor who is now retired from building race cars, and he does excellent paint work in his garage - I've seen it and can vouch for the quality. Has a 53 Chevy in there now he is fixing up for someone. I've spoken tentatively with him about doing the paint, and he indicated he would be interested. That would be great as I can keep the cost down that much more.

BTW, if you still have that NOS 88 hood emblem you posted in the FS forum a few days back, I may be interested in picking it up. I have one already on hand that I intend to put on my "other" 88 at some point, but the one on this car is damaged in the center of the R, and the center stud broke off as well so will need replacement. I could put a 89+ type emblem on (and frankly, I like the large one better) but kind of want the option of keeping it original. If it isn't sold already, or while you are in South Bend, let me know when you get back.

Not much to report today in work done on the car, as I was doing paid projects all day. I do know I have an intermittent problem with the brake lights I need to nail down (just discovered late last night on a test drive). Still have a small seep of coolant at the coolant pipe on the intake manifold to the throttle body as well, suspect a bogus gasket. Might leave that be until I do the intake and valve cover gaskets though, it is silly to take it apart again when I will be doing the whole thing shortly.

KDirk

Ok,

Another big update on this project. I've been very busy and have pulled some late nights working on "Threatta".

In the past week I have:

- removed all DIY window tint and adhesive (two layers no less!) in what was a terrible mess. Hint: use carb/choke cleaner to remove the adhesive. Mask the interior trim with a good drop cloth and masking tape to prevent damage to plastics from the cleaner. This works faster and easier than anything else I tried (about 6 different solvents all told).

- replaced brake switch, found brake lights were not 100% reliable and adjustment did not correct this condition.

- Took it to my paintless dent guy and had almost (all but 3) all dings and creases removed. Those that are left are very minor and a couple we just missed. One is in a spot that he cannot get to the back side of to massage out. There is also the damage to the lower portion of the passenger door. He advised just doing body work on that and not wasting time trying to lessen the crease by working the door panel.

- Gutted the interior. All trim, seats, carpet and sound deadening are out right now. I have washed and rinsed every single piece of insulation and the entire carpet. This was to remove both 25 years of accumulated dirt and dust, but also mouse "leftovers" that were in the car as bought. The carpet especially was absolutely filthy. It is now clean and is in good shape overall. A few small worn spots and what looks like one ciggy burn but no bad stains or tears. Debating if I want to re-dye it a bit darker to account for fading before I reinstall it.

- Cleaned and disinfected the entire floor pan and inside of the wiring race ways (to the extent possible) to get rid of mouse messes and slight odor from same and stench of obnoxious air freshener. Also touched up the problematic ground splices under the seats.

- Have been working in the passenger door today. Pulled and repainted mirror housing, polished mirror glass, replaced the light bulb for the halo light on the outside lock cylinder, put in new 5.25" woofer, lubed the lock linkages and window track. Also adjusted alignment of the vent window to get tighter closure of the window against the weather strip and good alignment of door panel to rear fender with door closed. I did discover the lower vent window mounting bracket (L shaped one down low inside door panel cavity) is missing. Presumably removed and never reinstalled. Need to turn one of these and it's associated hardware up so it is 100% solid. Also MIA is the little plastic retainer box that holds the mirror harness so it is not flapping around inside the door cavity. Guess I need to get this too.

- Getting ready to run additional wiring thru the floor raceway to the trunk for the addition of a compass module, perhaps some remote sound gear and a few spare lines for whatever future needs come up. Guess I will also add an illumination line to the doors so I can retrofit Toronado-style backlit seat controls. Hey, why not?

- I repaired and recovered the headliner and A pillar trims. The pillar pieces turned out beautiful. The headliner, well, not so much. The form was rather badly beaten and although I did some repair, it is a bit lumpy and saggy (not the new fabric but the whole thing). So, I will need to get a headliner shell at some point.

- I received sample cards of Texsuede (synthetic microfiber sueede material) and found that the color "Claret Red" is perfect to replace the original (genuine) suede that is badly beaten. Will be ordering this soon. Also awaiting samples of German "Finetuft" velour carpet from an outfit in Dearborn MI, if one of the two is a good color match I will order some of that to redo the storage bid deck and lids (that portion of carpet is shot).

- Found but have not yet fixed a leak in the rear window. Apparently a void in the adhesive (I suspect the rear window is not original, its condition is too good to be 25 years old. I can hear wind noise and get some water ingress when washing the car. This was much easier to spot with the interior out. So, once I pinpoint the spot I will shoot some urethane adhesive in there to make it water tight.

So, it is coming along, just a ton of work in the summer heat (and humidity).

More to come.

KDirk

Culus,

In my spare time I am either sleeping, eating or earning money to put towards this latest folly (among other expenses). Anyway, I have been neglectful of putting pictures up of this project, so I will dump an assortment of pictures here now for anyone interested in the process or progress I am making.

In no particular order, there are a couple of pictures of the exterior after I buffed it out with medium cut cleaner (fairly shiny). Picture of the A-pillar trim with a repair I made to hold the trim retainer clip since the plastic slot broke off the inside. Some pictures of the interior gutted out, some of the instrument cluster, showing the mileage (63xxx) among other things and the rear storage bins with existing carpet and with the carpet removed save for the part inside the bins which will be reused. I have carpet on order, hope it will be here this week but most likely next week.

Also there is a picture of front bumper filler with it's paint damage (to be rectified soon), the sound insulation after being thoroughly washed and dried to remove mouse "stuff" and the passenger door all disassembled. Lest I forget, there is one of the storage bin cover with the latch and carpet (mostly) removed. That is put on with some very nasty adhesive, so will need more work to get clean.

I will be repainting the storage bin covers prior to putting on new carpet, as well as the dash pad and a few other interior plastics that are a bit beat looking. Should freshen up nicely.

As they say: pics or it didn't happen, so here they are:

post-52795-143142055656_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055688_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055724_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055743_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055759_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055777_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055794_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055811_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055828_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055845_thumb.jpg

post-52795-143142055862_thumb.jpg