Assembly Manual for 1965 Riviera

Foxlovescars

I restored two cars previously; a 1965 Corvette and a 1968 Olds Cutlass. In both cases I was able to purchase the factory Assembly Manual (AIM) for both cars. I HAVE purchased the '65 Buick Service Manual which includes the 49000 series and the '65 Body Manual for Riviera. Was there a AIM printed for the '65 Riviera that is available somewhere? There is nothing like having an AIM to refer to when it comes to disassembly of a system, or restoring something back to original. Thanks, Frank

If you take one apart yourself, it's not that bad. But, when you buy one to restore not knowing what previous owners have done to it, the AIM is a great tool for telling you what exact bolt you need for that particular hole, or what part number you need for that missing a/c part.

Ed

People take cars apart and never put them back together?..... and then sell them in pieces?

I wonder why that happens. (Could it be related to the inexpensive dis-assembly and the 300 $100 jobs they create for themselves?

Bernie

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ANY, ORIGINAL factory assembly manuals are very, very scarce. There are copies available for various models which are produced from originals when found, just check Ebay. The reason the originals are so scarce is because there were only a few copies produced for various departments invoved in the assembly process, among other functions like literature/publications/accessories, so very few survive.

The engineering departments produced the illustrations in the manuals. Many of the same illustrations which appear in the assembly manuals are present in the factory chassis and body manuals. There are many, many illustrations which did not transition from the assembly manuals into the service manuals but any typical service manual does have a substantial number of illustrations which did carry over. So that`s good news, the service manuals are readilly available in several forms.

The assembly manuals which I have experience with, do contain errors regarding info and the reality of how the cars were assembled/spec`d out doesnt always match with the ideal, which was the assembly manual. There are glaring contradictions in the assembly manuals. This is especially true if the manual in question was not properly updated as engineering revised select circumstances, sent revised drawings which were intended to replace the flawed originals, but were never properly installed in the assembly manual. In such situations the illustrations and info in the manuals is obsolete and incorrect.

As an example, I have an engineering illustration for the 4 note horn installation on `65 Super Wildcat equipped models ( think `65 Riviera GS) which shows a very specific, position related deviation as compared to the single 4 barrel models. I have yet to find a car which demonstrates this deviation in the field. I suspect the drawings I have were an engineering dept. mistake which was probably revised for actual car production before the start date of production. The overall point is that although the assembly manual is a fantastic gift for anyone restoring a car, the best guideline as to what is "correct" or authentic is the surviving cars themselves. There is a great body of data which survives, ie the cars themselves, and sorting out the assembly details by using the existing cars is a tool for which this group can be used.

Tom Mooney 

• Like 3