1990 Black conv ... look at the steering wheel

Barney Eaton

In the case of the wheel Zoltan has in the pictures posted, it is an 89. Thus, no airbag, no problem. For retrofitting a 90 or 91 one would need to follow the instructions provided by Jon and Padgett.

While it is a goodly amount to have done, for those who have 90 or 91 models and wish to retain the SIR, Craft Customs in TX will redo a wheel, adding woodgrain as desired in place of the leather from a large selection of grains and colors. This would probably set you back $400+ (I know I paid about $300 to have new factory matched leather put on the 91, but was worth every penny IMO) to do it. Bonus is you get to keep the airbag. Unless of course it really bothers you, I know some here dislike the big rectangular GM airbags of the era. I have learned to live with it.

FWIW, I highly recommend Craft Customs, I have no affiliation with them other than as an existing customer and have been quite pleased. Getting ready to send an 88 wheel and some other interior pieces off to be re-wrapped soon.

KDirk

It is only this century that I have seen airbag steering wheels I like. The heep's wheel is really pretty nice & has controls on front and back (unfortunatly they uglified it and added flappy padles for 14).

Unfortunately the '90 Buick airbag looks too much like a 70 base wheel for me so I fixed it.

post-31022-143141925049_thumb.jpg

post-31022-143141925053_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

It's funny how we all think differently, when I saw this car on ebay the only thing I didn't like about it was the steering wheel. Looks SO out of place and changed. While not a fan of the 90 & 91 steering wheels compared to the sporty 88 & 89 wheel, my first order of business would be to put the correct wheel back on it.

I see that it is nice, nicely done but I also think the 88-89 steering wheels are sporty and well harmonized. Tough choice but I think it looks nice on this car. My daughter and I are restoring a 72 Mercedes SL convertible and the Nardi wheels are $1000. Ouch. Makes a difference but ouch.

Last fall the 3 little kids were playing bus. But they didn't have a steering wheel, so I went in the basement and came up with three of them [one for each of them] so they wouldn't fight over who gets to be the driver. Of course because each one had a steering wheel and each could be a driver they quit because it wasn't "fun" anymore.

My neighbor couldn't believe I had three extra wheels in the basement.

The legend grows... [at least in my neighborhood].

Guest Richard D

I agree that the first generation GM air bag looks awful. Plus I am not crazy about having a small explosive in my steering wheel. However in 1995 my first Reatta (bought new) was hit on the drivers side front fender, by an uninsured rusted out econobox that changed my direction of travel into a large concrete pole, drivers side impact at 50 mph. I was able to open and close the door no problem injuries were mostly from seat/shoulder belt. Engine pushed the floor behind the brake pedal until it contacted the pedal. Was witnessed by a police officer who was amazed I could get up and walk until fire rescue arrived. I was told that the air bag saved me from a broken neck so until I can find a compatible modern GM air bag wheel I will leave it as is. The Reatta structure is very strong, crushed where it should, passenger compartment intact.

Attached Thumbnails

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

I rather doubt newer air bag modules could be substituted with any expectation of reliable operation. First, there are many different connector types even within GM, this applies to the clock spring coils as well. I imagine there would also be electrical differences in the coil and bag resistance, and if you get to a completely different car line may well be differences in the trigger voltage. Since there is no listing of approved substitutions, and the only way to verify a change would work would be with a live test (front end collision that blows the bag) you'd have no way of knowing it would protect you in an actual crash, even if no codes or telltales were set prior to such an event.

So, if you want the air bag you are stuck with stock parts unless you are the adventurous type who is willing to risk a non-functional airbag just to get a certain look.

KDirk

Is more a matter of taste. If you always wear a seat belt, an air bag does not do much more. Second it is only useful in a frontal impact. Third I wear glasses. Fourth I have the seat both reclined and all of the way back.

Since I always wear a seat belt (prefer & have since the early '60s, the single GM air bag that has been around since 1974 (Caddy) is of limited value and in an accident would prefer to see where I am going. True, if I ws really concerned, I'd have a five point harness and not the stock system.

Finally there is a question in my mind about the stability of a 20 year old airbag that I really do not want to test. Besides the one in the Reatta is fugley.

Guest Richard D

<legend style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);">Hi John, here are a couple of pics, even though the dash broke in half the windshield did not! paperclip.png Attached Thumbnails</legend>61924d1340364580t-sad-painfull-day-1995-95rek-001.jpg 61925d1340364580t-sad-painfull-day-1995-95rek-002.jpg

The paint & body shop it was towed to offered me $1,000.00 for it, my insurance company did not want it so I sold it. Now I know why, even back then I bet windshields were expensive, new tires, 3 wheels OK, 16 way seat, I imagine the engine block was OK plus the electronics behind the glove box. If you look the drivers side A pillar has pushed up the roof corner slightly.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

The Reatta SIR module is part #1228874. A quick google search shows the same module used in at least early 90s Corvettes, Camaros (and I'd assume Firebirds), and some Cadillacs.

This 1992 4-spoke Camaro wheel would be great - except that it has the word "CAMARO" embossed in the front. Quite inappropriate for a Buick:

1002gmhtp_04_z+1992_chevy_camaro_z28+custom_leather_interior.jpg

Richard - those are some amazing photos!

I saw a similar Reatta wreck at a Pick-N-Pull about three years ago. Wondering if it went into a guard rail or similar, as it hit something more towards the left front, and the entire left side of the car was smashed in. Looked like the emergency responders had to cut off part of the door to extricate the driver. I bought the passenger side floor mat from that car, as it was garnet red and in pretty nice shape. Kit saw the car too.

Guest Richard D

The Camaro four spoke wheel does look much better than the fugley Reatta wheel, however it still is a large package in the wheel.

Padgett, since all modern air bags use sodium azide with an electric squib to fill the bag do you think that the squib ignitor would use the same trigger voltage? I have seen clowns who work at the U-Pick set them off with a nine volt battery. What year did they start installing bags that open at two rates? Those might be a problem.

Guest Richard D

Marck, he looks rather sad with a busted lip and his eyes half open. Are those six Reattae yours?

Marck, he looks rather sad with a busted lip and his eyes half open. Are those six Reattae yours?

It was a poor, sad little Reatta for sure. It was used as a work truck for a painter for about two years before I bought it (the wreck and ignition switch malfunction were it's ultimate demise). But I was able to salvage a few good parts off it.

The picture was taken probably a year and a half ago, but yes, those were all mine. Many have come and gone since then though.