58 Wipers...no wonder people convert to electric!

Smartin

So I have 3 GOOD motors that run great while not attached to the car. I have lubed as much as I can get to on the wiper transmission system itself. I also took apart one of the motors and cleaned & regreased it...runs great. BUT once I install it on the car, it doesn't have enough grunt to run the wipers through a cycle. When I spray Windex on the windshield it helps a ton, and it will run until it wipes it all off...but then they stick again. Regular hose water will not do this.

Should I just RainX the **** out of the windshield and not worry about the wipers? I refuse to convert to electric, unless there is a motor that looks like stock.

I think the problem is in the linkage behind the dash. I must not be able to reach all of the spots that need to be lubed. I don't know...giving up for now.

The center pivot shaft that the motor mounts to seems to be really sloppy...is that normal? Everything feels really free, except when I let the wipers wipe the window...it pretty much stops it dead in its tracks.

This is not very scientific but I recommend you run the enginr and engage the wipers, then hold the blades off the glass to feel the strength of the motor. My 56's seem to be a lot like yours except they will run easily with plain water on the glass. As soon as the glass is dry though they can't seem to make the reverse at the outer point of the sweep ( if you catch my drift on this) . But I can feel the strength of the motor when I hold the blades off the glass. It's surprisingly tough.

Guest NikeAjax

Gosh, my favorite is taking off at night in the rain, and when the street light hits it just right--BANZAI!

A list of descriptors:

Disconcerting

Aggravating

Enraging

Terrifying

Sickening

Just my two cents,

Jaybird

Before you give up try: WiperMan.COM - Wipers, Wipers, Wipers

Cleaning and lubing will not work if there are worn parts like the paddle. Mine on my 55 go slap-slap-slap even on a dry windshield.

Willie

I know that Adam is like me in a lot of respects and he is postponing sending it off because it seems like a "loss".

Smartin, go ahead and bite the bullet. It's only around a hundred bucks, and he has the parts (new paddle) to actually fix it.

Like I said in a recent post about these motors, I run about 50/50 in just cleaning / lubing and making them work right. I bet you are on the losing end of the percentages right now...

Ben, Wow, 76 is good! Hence the name "First Born". (or maybe just the oldest sibling)? My stepdad will be 80 in October and still roto-tills his own garden. He will die working. Willie, I sure like the sound of that "slap-slap-slap"! John

Guest kaycee

Remember, the '57s and '58s had the additional vacuum used off the engine oil pump assy., which may be causing a problem with your wipers.

kaycee

Ben, Wow, 76 is good! Hence the name "First Born". (or maybe just the oldest sibling)? My stepdad will be 80 in October and still roto-tills his own garden. He will die working. Willie, I sure like the sound of that "slap-slap-slap"! John

Oldest sibling. And Willie DOES make some profound statements!

Ben