Happy Memorial Day

JohnD1956

It's cold and rainy today which may impact the plans of many of us as we look forward to the unofficial start of the Summer season. But the weather caused me to think about the real reason for this American Holiday and to reflect on the difficult life our Service Members endure, and endured, for all Americans, and the american way of life.

Wikipedia, the encyclopedia of the internet says this :

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday which occurs every year on the final Monday of May. Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service. ... Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day. Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, living or dead.

So it is with great respect, and gratitude, that I want to say THANK YOU to those who sacrificed so much, for those they did not know, and extend a wish for a HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY to all! Especially those remembering relatives who made the ultimate sacrifice while in the armed services.

Yes, Well said JD. To all those who served, I salute thee. The Chartreuce Lady and I have been commondeered once again by the Local Mayor for Mondays Parade. Alway glad to give a Vet a ride. Dandy Dave!

Good Post - The meaning of this holiday can not be repeated enough. For so many, especially young people, they do not understand the importance or meaning of the holiday. Its a day off school or work, a reason for department stores to have sales, a day to have a cookout, or go camping.

Over the weekend my wife and I went and bought a new flag from an old army veteran in his 80s who runs a small business selling flags and poles. We ended up visiting him for an hour listening to his stories some of which brought tears to our eyes. We brought the flag home, raised it, saluted, said the pledge of allegiance and thanked all those who perished so we could do this.

From the Revolutionary war forward, so many have made the ultimate sacrifice so we can keep our freedom yet the importance of these sacrifices aren't emphasized in schools or by parents nearly enough IMO.