1965 For Sale

Guest jmar183

Guest Steeleco

All I can think of are 3 letter words: WOW OMG WT?. However got to hand it to 'em, its different

I read the first 7 posts before looking at the photos of the 'abomination' and expected the worst.........

I think that for that price you could make a few changes and have a nice looking Riv. As you can tell, I am not a 'purist' and appreciate a mildly modified ride (darksider). I can't say as I remember ever seeing a first gen. Riv with the bumbers removed (rolled pans?) or fender skirts :(.

On a side note, there is an older car guy in town that just finished 'updating' a '66-'67 Riv. Not only did he paint it himself with a splotchy light metallic green paint job with no block sanding (spelled wavey) but he added rear fender skirts, some sort of beltline chrome side trim, appleton type spotlights, Corvette styled side exhaust with shields and Ansen type 'mag' wheels, some with whitewalls and some not, and a large chrome CB radio antenna on the rear bumper. Truly an 'abomination' IMHO.

Steve

Edited by slosteve
add second part (see edit history)

Modifications like that are done on a very personal level. Finding someone who shares the same enthusiasm (and is willing to pay for it) as the person who did it will be a challenge especially at $7500.

Sure they'd be welcome. That car just wouldn't win any people's choice awards. There's a difference between judging a car and accepting an individual.

For most of the obvious reasons stated, my '64 has been on a slow track while I find OE type original parts so it can be restored rather than becoming the custom that I first envisioned. My final thoughts were "It might be a cold day you know where to find someone who would share exactly my thoughts and opinion on what looked good and what didn't." That's not to say that the car still might not have front disk brakes, aftermarket a/c, and an o/d transmission, but you'll have to look hard to tell that they're installed. Stock looking with some upgraded tweaks.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Rob J

What Ed said. Hence the reason Resto-Mods are so popular these days. They typically retain the factory stock looks but with more modern drivetrain, brakes, suspension to make them more driveable.

If money were no object - but it is! I would also drop in a TA Performance roller cam and a set of Tom Telesco's roller rockers. Not for improved performance but just to let the engine run with less friction - longer wear; better mileage, etc. I do have a Petronix ignition that I'd like to install but the jury is still out on the reliability issue. If I won the lottery, then I'd go with a fuel injection system. I've done some measuring and I've found that a posi rear end with disk brakes from a late 90's Ford Explorer is the same width as the rear end in the first gen Riv's. Weld on some brackets and wa-lah.

If any of you follow the F.A.S.T drag racing program you have an idea of which we speak. FAST is an acronyn for Fatory Appearing Stock Tires. As long as it cant'd be seen (inside the engine) anything goes. But you have to run on the bias ply tires that were OE (size / tread) at the time the car was built. 700 hp Dodge hemi on F78 x 14 tires. WOW what a ride.

If you're blood is running warmer, check out the FAST website. F.A.S.T. - Factory Appearing Stock Tire - Home -

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Getting rid of the skirts would help a lot. Or at least removing the rear wheelwell trim so the skirts blend in better might make a difference, too. Take a lesson from Rob J. and adjust the headlight doors. Take the 63 trunk letters off the hood and do something with the hubcaps. Who noticed the 69 Camaro side markers added and the later sport mirrors? Like most cars, it has it's strong and weak points. We have all seen worse examples.

• 1 month later...

OK Riviera People: This thing isn't that bad. I have seen many, yes, many First-Gen Rivs on the HAMB that have been modified so poorly in (MY OPINION) that they make this look like an amateur Frankenstein. Just ripping off those skirts with a pair of vice grips, a set of wire caps and chiseling off the B U I C K letters from the front would make it a different car.

I'm not a fan of most changes that could be made to these cars. Ever see one lowered? Most have the front wheels in some kind of pigeon-toed position with a ridiculous camber or caster that throws the car way off. Shaved handles and almost any other mods to these cars (again, in my narrow minded, prejudicial opinion) don't really cut it. Mitch