torque ball

Guest randy123

Guest randy123

im replaceing the rear seal and gaskets on the torque ball on my 51 buick special,putting it back together and cannot get the torqueball to slide back on to universal shaft,am i missing something it slid right off now it wont go back together,help would be great,thanks.

I was just farting with the same thing on my '54. Buy a length of round wood or piping that will fit into the hollow end on the rear of your U-joint, as large dia as will fit. 1 inch worked perfectly for me. Regardless, you need one of these to be able to adjust the tightness of the ball according to your shop manual. Apply the necessary gaskets to the inner retainer. Line up your torque-pall and outer retainer onto the wooden dowel, insert down into the U-joint, and everything will slide together nicely. By the way, using two screw-in studs on the top two bolt holes makes assembly MUCH easier as well.

Guest randy123

im going to replace the brass bushing it has scratches and grooves on the inside where it slides on to the u-joint,now you say to line up the torque ball and outer retainer on the wood dowel,and insert down in to the u-joint?was i trying to do it wrong?i was trying to slide it on straight ?info would be great man thanks.

im going to replace the brass bushing it has scratches and grooves on the inside where it slides on to the u-joint,now you say to line up the torque ball and outer retainer on the wood dowel,and insert down in to the u-joint?was i trying to do it wrong?i was trying to slide it on straight ?info would be great man thanks.
No, the dowel just helps stabilize everything, so that the brass bushing and torque-ball find their way onto the U-joint. Just line everything in order onto the dowel, and it works. New bushings can be had from Bob's Automobilia, IIRC.

Have been following this thread, all the while wondering what is a torque ball? Where is it located, and what does it do? Do cars other than Buick have one?

Educate a non-Buick owner! Thanks -

I'm lazy today, so I'll let you Google: "torque ball"....study well, there will be a test tomorrow :)

On a Cadillac forum I frequent I guy was inquiring about the availability of computer for his Allante:

I suggested he contact Dick Hussey.

He then wanted to know how to do that.

As I did not have the info in front of me, I suggested he "google" his name.

Another forum user jumped in and reamed me a new one for providing partial info which was next to useless in his opinion. I guess he wanted me to give him his address, ph. #, email and write or call him for the person looking for info?

Bottom line:

I am not offended by you suggestion to "google it," and shall do so!

Ok, I did in fact "google it." I now know more about torque tubes and torque balls than I either want or need to know! (The torque ball permits variances in alignment between the transmission and rear end.)

I have to wonder why Buick stayed with this technology when the rest of GM did not?

I have to wonder why Buick stayed with this technology when the rest of GM did not?

It is to my understanding that Buick stayed with the torque tube longer because of road conditions in some areas of the country. The torque tube more durable. This is what I have read somewhere. Don't quote on it either! :rolleyes:

It is to my understanding that Buick stayed with the torque tube longer because of road conditions in some areas of the country. The torque tube more durable. This is what I have read somewhere. Don't quote on it either! :rolleyes:
It also allowed for the use of coil springs on the rear and thus a smoother ride.

Guest randy123

bought the new bushing for the torque ball tryed putting the torque ball back on the u-joint lubed every part with trans,fluid and it will only go part way on the u-joint.when i took it apart it slid right off,i dont understand what the problem is,anyone and everyones input would be great,thank you

Randy 123, Here's another old saying, "don't force it, get a bigger hammer!" Seriously, don't force it, go back to the last thing you did (replaced bushing). You may have flared or burred the bushing if the old one worked ok. Do as old-tank suggested. "DON'T FORCE IT" TexasJohn55

Guest randy123

i ended up getting it,i ended up luben the heck out of it after checken the bushing again ,nothing wrong with the bushing,put it on as far as it would go and tapped on it with a rubber mallet around the outside till it slid in,got it all tightend down,hopefully get everything else done tomorrow if the rain holds off,thanks to everyone.