Taylormade

The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

As I said earlier I picked up my front seat from the upholstery shop.  Looks good.  The new wood base I made fits perfectly which was a relief.  It was hard to get a straight on shot due to current storage in my living room corner and the parallax makes the top buttons look crooked - which they are not.

IMG_1088.thumb.jpg.e60f6652158034cc3e4feaec4ff34c93.jpg

I'm working on my headlight wiring which was in rough shape.  This is the wiring section inside the headlight itself.  The socket on the left is for the bulb, the one on the right fits into a receptacle in the headlight shell and connects to the wire that goes through a chrome conduit and through the fender.  As you can see, the wires are totally shot.  The plastic coated wires indicate that this has been rewired in the past.

IMG_1083.thumb.jpg.9153ac03b72ec7da89552bcbf527a306.jpg

The wires run into the socket through the fiber spacers and one wire through each of the two springs inside.  Everything, with the exception of the wires, just needed to be cleaned up and reassembled.

IMG_1081.thumb.jpg.c23f19b4b91b000693c54d92ff9996c4.jpg

I have a question concerning the replacement of the wiring.  This setup has the usual wire running to the raised buds or bumps that are contact points.  I would like to save the original parts if possible, or am I making a mistake and should I go with replacements at this point?  I assume the wire is soldered into to these tips, but I'm amazed how clean the joint is.  I see virtually no signs of solder anywhere.  Is there a narrow post extending down from the tip the the end of the wire surrounds and then everything is soldered?  Do I need to be careful when I loosen this joint?  I don't want to melt the tip in the process.  Any advice here would be welcome.  I also noticed the the wire insulation covered everything right to the base of the tip.  I can see pulling the insulation back when making the first solder, then pushing it back up when finished.  But the second set would seem to be a problem as the wire is short and I doubt the stiffness of the insulation would allow me to pull it back enough to solder.

IMG_1086.thumb.jpg.514ececcc3e10ab22427df705e350a09.jpg

Let me know what you think.  As I've stated before, electrical wiring is not my strong point.

I think that lead lump was cast onto the end of the wire.

Then maybe the wiring was original.  I guess it must have mummified into what made me think it was plastic.  So, now what?

10 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I think that lead lump was cast onto the end of the wire.

I think so to. I just made some big lumps of solder on mine, been working okay for a few decades now.

We know that you sit on that seat in your living room and make car noises. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, we made the car noises at the upholstery shop.

On the wiring, I wonder if they had a small mold they poured the hot solder in and then dipped the exposed wire into it while it was still liquid.  There must have been a simple and quick way to produce these things at the factory.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

No, we made the car noises at the upholstery shop.

On the wiring, I wonder if they had a small mold they poured the hot solder in and then dipped the exposed wire into it while it was still liquid.  There must have been a simple and quick way to produce these things at the factory.

That is exactly what I was thinking and what it looks like to me.

If need be, I will look through my stuff to see if I have good ones that you can use. Let me know.

My '31 DH had identical sockets in similar shape. I found perfect replacement sockets a couple years ago from some headlight man. I may be able to find the source but I have to go out to the shop(1/2 hour drive) and have a look. 

I think you can buy those socket pig tails from the restoration supply outfits, often including the socket.

Think of the pictures and video you have seen in electronics assembly shops. With the right jig, the soldering iron at the correct temperature, clean parts, the right size and type of solder, soldering is almost instant. I am sure that is how it was done by the factory.

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

If need be, I will look through my stuff to see if I have good ones that you can use. Let me know.

I would be interested.

1 hour ago, Johnthistle said:

My '31 DH had identical sockets in similar shape. I found perfect replacement sockets a couple years ago from some headlight man. I may be able to find the source but I have to go out to the shop(1/2 hour drive) and have a look. 

Just the next time you get to the shop would be fine.  If he's still around it would save me some time.

Here's what your '29 Plymouth contact looked like.  The insulation was disintegrating on mine, too.  Looked like rubber or plastic to me.     frank

Headllamp Contact.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm, looks like they changed things by 32.  No copper tube on my setup.  Since the wires run through the springs on my socket, I would be worried if there was no insulation right up to the contact end.  I'm thinking of making a reverse mold in hi-temp silicon, chopping up some electrical solder into tiny pieces and putting it into the depression, heating it up with a torch and dipping the end of the wire into the solder.

I redid a couple sets . The contact is metal as shown , like a tack . Skin wire back slide piece heat shrink back . Solder and advance shrink . Be sure to allow for going thur fibre washer and spring and shell . Will look to see if have pics . Use automotive wire on redo , original was rubber . Building wire is usually  multi-layer coating .

• Like 1

Looks like the wiring covering on the items I have are totally cracked and falling apart, too....

Picture 27603.jpg

Picture 27604.jpg

• Like 1

Well, problem solved.  As usual, my wife said, "Let me see that!" after listening to me grouse about the problem for an hour.  She carefully unwound the wire (individual strands, not solid) and discovered the tip was actually a domed tack similar to the one in frank29u's photo.  We still couldn't get the wires off the tack, but we could see the ends did not extend into the dome.  So, they weren't molded in.  I took the tack out to the garage, clamped it in the vise, hit it with a less than one second blast from my MAP torch and the wires just fell away.  So, I'm thinking the pointed end of the tack was covered with a light coat of solder and then jammed into the end of the wire.  You learn something every day.

Behold the offending part.

IMG_1092.thumb.jpg.371e8ccbd88f712786eb1e2857528dac.jpg

• Like 1

My '31 DH socket replacement fit perfectly and was made by Cole Hersee Co, #2106.  It replaced the steel socket & spring and circumvented the soldered "tack" problem. I thought it was very slick. Invisible from the outside. I don't see it in their web site but they or someone can probably come up with a #2106. 

I know a guy who has a box full of headlight sockets from the 20s & 30s but ? Might not solve wire contact challenge.   John

• Like 1

Could not find pics . I remember using a steel plate that I drilled a dimple in to match tack cup end . Then heated from bottom and preloaded cup with solder . Also skinned 1/8" insulation off wire, pushed cold tack in to open path, added rosin .  Pushed over heated cap with solder in it . Covered 1/8" with shrink which probable did not need .

The Filling Station also sells new made units .

• Like 1

I’m organizing my remaining parts for final assembly this Spring.  My wife and I gathered everything, boxed and labeled each part down to the last nut and bolt.  We are about 2/3 of the way through and should finish up this coming week.  I’m worried about several parts that don’t seem to be turning up so I’m asking in advance in case anyone can help me out.  I’m missing one door latch striker and one of the headlight sockets for a headlight.  This is the socket that plugs into the bottom of the headlight from the outside with the flexible wire conduit attached.  l’ll post photos and dimensions tomorrow.  I was relieved to find most everything else was safe and sound after five years and a move to a new house.

• Like 1

Man, I just noticed my thread had slipped back to page five.  I’ve been neglecting Daphne mainly due to continuing problems with my knee, but I need to get back to work on her as soon as possible.  I didn’t want folks who had been patiently following my progress to think I had given up.  I am determined to drive her around the block this summer, no matter what.

• Like 1

Good for you! Yeah, life does get in the way sometimes, especially when one is not new anymore! Hope the knee settles down. 

I was going to have LeBarron Bonnie do an upholstery kit for my '31 DH but they just went bankrupt, so I read! Bummer!

• Sad 1