1914-15 Dodge Roadster Barn Find

Guest Geekster

Guest Geekster

I was given this photo last week from a friend who has this Roadster in a barn in the Midwest. I'm going to find out more about it in the weeks to come after he returns from Montana to his farm. He originally said that it was a 1913 which of course can't be! After he returns home, I'll have him find the engine #'s for it, if I can get a proper place to look. He states that the car was bought new, never licensed and was used on the farm for work. He thought originally that it was a touring car cut down to be used as a pickup. As we can all see, it's a Roadster and the deck lid has been removed. He has the hood for it and the reason for this photo was the time years back when he had new tires installed on it and it was being driven. Now of course, it's back in the barn where it's been for 50 years or more. The car is going to be offered for sale after I receive more photos of it and the serial numbers to actually see if it's a 1914 production run or 1915. I'm not familiar with Dodges of this era nor current values and am looking for advice on this in hopes of getting a realistic value for my friend. He's in his 80's, has a cancer issue happening and is sincere about selling the car. Anyone interested in buying the car or helping us research it, contact me by email and I look forward to my first post here turning out to be a great adventure with great stories about this car!post-92154-143141809059_thumb.jpg

nice little car . Perhaps a 1917 as the wheels look like 7 lug Kelsey type....The front one appears to be missing one lug in the picture..I believe that earlier cars were 6 lug Stanwelds...I am sure many people would like the car ME included but need a price first

bob

Guest Geekster
nice little car . Perhaps a 1917 as the wheels look like 7 lug Kelsey type....The front one appears to be missing one lug in the picture..I believe that earlier cars were 6 lug Stanwelds...I am sure many people would like the car ME included but need a price first

bob

Good eye Bob! I missed the seven lug nuts! This is the dilema at my end, being totally unfamiliar with Dodges, I'm trying to find out information and answers like yours to give to the owner of the car. He's heading back to his farm next tuesday and will be sending me a lot of current photos of the car. I need to find out where the engine number or serial number is located for him to send me this information. I'm just like you, I'd also like to have this, but I can't afford to buy another car and I promised this fine older friend to help him market it. He's had a few people approach him with ridiculous offers and he deserves much more. Once I find out exactly what year it is and get better photos I'll have a better idea how much it may bring. I will certainly be letting you know as information comes my way. Thanks for the help today!

Geekster, hope you can find a good home for this car. Dodge Brother cars are one of the big bargains of the nickel era cars (1916-1925 or so), and are very reasonably priced. Thus, don't know what the "ridiculous offers" were, but unless it's a very early 14/15, it's going to be worth in the five figures and not much more.

Keep us informed, and welcome to the forum!

Serial number attached to a metal tag pass side toe board, engine number drivers side midway above carb or so. Declklids are very hard to come by, I concur with evaluation of reasonable price given and with the decklid missing that evaluation might be a little optimistic.

Geekster, hope you can find a good home for this car. Dodge Brother cars are one of the big bargains of the nickel era cars (1916-1925 or so), and are very reasonably priced. Thus, don't know what the "ridiculous offers" were, but unless it's a very early 14/15, it's going to be worth in the five figures and not much more.

Keep us informed, and welcome to the forum!

Just interested in knowing up to what car number would you consider a very early 14/15?

My Father-in-Law has a 1915 Dodge Brothers for sale. He is 90 and in a nursing home. The car was restored by him in the mid 80's and hasn't run in about 4 yrs. It did run and drive at that time. It will need some work to get running agian. It is number 19xxx, and has the cone clutch and air pump on the dash. When he did the car over, it had new interior and top. Will need some minor body work and paint. He is asking $10,000 for the car. I am handling the transaction for him. Call 845.876.7309 Regards, John

post-32213-143141810191_thumb.jpg

post-32213-143141810194_thumb.jpg

post-32213-143141810197_thumb.jpg

post-32213-143141810199_thumb.jpg

My Father-in-Law has a 1915 Dodge Brothers for sale. He is 90 and in a nursing home. The car was restored by him in the mid 80's and hasn't run in about 4 yrs. It did run and drive at that time. It will need some work to get running agian. It is number 19xxx, and has the cone clutch and air pump on the dash. When he did the car over, it had new interior and top. Will need some minor body work and paint. He is asking $10,000 for the car. I am handling the transaction for him. Call 845.876.7309 Regards, John

Is that an electric fan?

back to the original post, the car is a 1917-1918 touring that has been made into a truck. The doors are not as wide as a roadster, the touring rear fenders have been cobbled onto what appears to be a homemade bed. The top irons are for a touring but not Dodge. A similar car sold here in California recently for $800.00, it was advertised in the Dodge Club Newsletter for $1,200.00. and had the complete touring body.

Guest brian j

Just a note as it hasn't been brought up. If the serial number on the toe board is missing, the serial number is also stamped on the top of the frame crossmember, just in front of the front seat base. You might have to clean the rust off with a wire brush to see it. It's stamped right in the center of the crossmember on the top so when you look down you can see it.

Edited by brian j
word misspell (see edit history)

Guest Geekster
Just a note as it hasn't been brought up. If the serial number on the toe board is missing, the serial number is also stamped on the top of the frame crossmember, just in front of the front seat base. You might have to clean the rust off with a wire brush to see it. It's stamped right in the center of the crossmember on the top so when you look down you can see it.

Thanks Brian for the location on the frame. I know where the engine number is located and I'm wondering if the frame number would match the engine if it's still the original one from day one? I will be getting a bunch of updated photos of the car sometime in April. My old friend went home tuesday to Wisconsin where the car is located. He was saying that the photo I posted was around 1994 when they brought the car out of the barn for the first time since they bought the farm in 1965. I guess it's been in there a long time and was originally bought in the small town he's from at the Dodge dealership there. He had them put new tires on the car in 1994 and it was serviced and even had new spark plugs the dealer still had upstairs in the shop. They drove it around for a bit and then it went back to the barn and was covered up again and there's where it sits to this day! I know it is not a true gem but still it's an actual Barn Find and it has spent it's entire life on that farm...I wish I could go there and dig around the farm. I know it's stuffed with many hidden treasures. I guess the same family owned it for about a hundred years. I'll post any new information on the car when my friend comes back to Montana in April.

Guest Bill Miller

If it's original to the car, the engine number should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 higher than the car's serial number on the toeboard plate or frame crossmember.

• 1 month later...
Guest Geekster

I just received a phone call with numbers that I'm assuming will give me the year of this Dodge! What was found on the toe board was this number: T131728. I had asked the man to look on the left side of the engine and he said there was a brass tag that looked like it was riveted to the block with the number A5 on it. I'm hoping this will help identifying the year of this car. Also, a lot of photos were taken and I should have them to look at soon. Thanks for any help on this. Oh, I also just found the back end of a roadster body like this 60 miles from my home in Montana that's for sale!

If it's original to the car, the engine number should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 higher than the car's serial number on the toeboard plate or frame crossmember.

Guest Bill Miller

Geekster,

The serial number would make it a late February or early March 1917 chassis and if it has an original motor its number will be stamped on the motor probably on the left side of the block (not a tag) in the 180,000-185,000 range, plus or minus.

• 8 months later...

Geekster, Cool old pix but it is not a '14 OR a roadster. The headlights are forward of the rad. making it after late '16. The rear brake drums are 14" not 12", The lower windshield frame is too tall for roadster and the steering column is at too steep an angle. That said, the first actual roadster produced by the Brothers Dodge was a prototype on , I believe, chassis #32 which went up to N.Y. for a show. And the first production roadster was not 'till around car #14,500 somewhere in June of '15. Budd was having problems with the metal alloy which was tearing under and around the back of the seat on the corners. P.S. It could be that the number mentioned here earlier is the Body number not the car chasis number. My reason for this obsrvation is the 'T' prefix which would further indicate 'Touring'. If this is, in fact, the case that number will be irrelevant in determining vintage as body numbers do not track with production. Good Luck and Keep 'em Dodgin' Rodger "Dodger"

Edited by RAH
additional data (see edit history)