chrysler straight eight

Guest mats larsson

Guest mats larsson

yes i think that it,s from -29 .but the people here in sweden that i have had contact with ,

thought that chrysler didnt do eight cyl engines before 1930 .

and that is the reason for my question . and also to get some possible models that it could come from.

mats

There were no Chrysler straight eights before 1931. The engine number will be on the left side of the engine just under the cylinder head on a long flat raised pad. Dodge and DeSoto did have the straight eight in 1930.

post-37352-143141739684_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest mats larsson

now i have been out in my garage with a torchlamp and found some numbers on top of engine it stands silverdome engine on left side in bottom

stands H

306429-1 83030

on left side top is nothing maybe its not a chrysler after all

interresting....

now i have been out in my garage with a torchlamp and found some numbers on top of engine it stands silverdome engine on left side in bottom

stands H

306429-1 83030

on left side top is nothing maybe its not a chrysler after all

interresting....

If it says, "SILVERDOME" on the head, it is a Chrysler product engine. We need to see some photos of the engine. If you need help posting them, you can send them to me at keiser31@charter.net and I will post them here for you. John

Here is the engine in question....it DOES sort of have that 1929 Chrysler look to it.

Correct me if I`m wrong but the valve gear is on the wrong side for a Chrysler engine, I dont recall seing any Chrysler engine where the side plate access isnt under the manifolds on the other side of the engine.

Correct me if I`m wrong but the valve gear is on the wrong side for a Chrysler engine, I dont recall seing any Chrysler engine where the side plate access isnt under the manifolds on the other side of the engine.

Actually, they do have some plates on a few years on the left side. Here is my 1929 '75' Chrysler engine. The engine in question above may have the number on the right side between the plates or just above the plates.

Mats, may I ask where you got the engine??

post-37352-143141740119_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176609[/ATTACH]Looks like an industrial version of the 31 Imperial engine. The cover on the side is not a valve cover, but a water jacket cover

Actually you are indeed correct, good catch, also notice the gauges on the industrial setup they are very Chrysler looking, but then I dont see a pad for the engine number at upper left of the block ??

Guest mats larsson

the valve mechanism is on the right side there is no number on top left front and the gauges and other things onthe engine side was used during ww2 when it was running on generator gas that was made from wood . because there was no petrol in that time

Guest mats larsson

i found the number on it ,someone had made a bigger cover and when scraping in the rust i found the top of something took the cover away and there stands B CG 1560. where i got it from ? i bought it from an elderly man with a big collection of tractors

and as this was just a motor i was offered to buy it , and naturally i did just that. ca 1940 it was converted for stationary use with a belt drive after the clutch ,it is mounted in a wooden frame and has a complete radiator from an oldsmobile ca 28-29 .

it has the badge of a early olds.

• 2 months later...

The letters CG indicate a 385 cui Imperial engine, made from mid 1930. Need to check the other numbers to verify whether car or industrial. If so a very interesting engine too, I would gladly come to Sweden and buy it.

post-59101-143141849363_thumb.jpg

Maybe it has a connection to the car pictured here?

Guest mats larsson
The letters CG indicate a 385 cui Imperial engine, made from mid 1930. Need to check the other numbers to verify whether car or industrial. If so a very interesting engine too, I would gladly come to Sweden and buy it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]188257[/ATTACH]

Maybe it has a connection to the car pictured here?

hello

i have recieved some information about the motor from one other visitor and it comes from a 1930 chrysler 7 seater sedan shipped to stockholm . so it is not a industrial motor , that changes is made later around ww2.

if you are interrested you are welcome to have a look for your self .i understand that you live in norway so maybe it is not so far away.

mats