What is this box in the trunk

Trey

Guest wally888

My first Reatta, an 89, had something similar. Also had wire (s) hanging down in cockpit for a phone. Think the box is still in my garage someplace.

• 1 month later...
Guest wally888

Ditto!

You must describe here what is the problem (s)! Give car the "Brake Tests"

Mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about.

Per a mechanic, it is an "Anti-Lock Brake System Control Module" and it going bad is why my ABS yellow light is on. Does this sound correct to you guys?

Was he joking?

I think I misunderstood the mechanic - he just said a "box in the trunk", so I assumed the myterious box is what he was referring to. I pulled back the padding and I found the actual "Anti-Lock Brake System Control Module" which may be causing the yellow ABS light to be lit. I am thinking the box is for the original cell phone as I have some weird connection (for phone???) on the passanger side of the cockpit.

Guest Corvanti
Do I have to pull back some padding?

yeah, the driver's side carpet panel. i don't think there is any difference between the '88 & '89. if there is, someone please correct my info! :)

Yes, it (the ABS module) is hidden behind the carpet on the driver's side of the trunk and has rather bulky harness connecting to it. The first box pictured is almost certainly an old cell transceiver, and could be removed as long as the power leads are properly disconnected at their source.

Tell your mechanic that his guess of the black box being for the brakes is ABS - as in "absolute bull****".

KDirk

Thanks for that - once again, not the mechanics fault - I just misunderstood him and assumed something that I should not have. Cell tranceiver box I think is the final answer. I think I will just leave it in place instead of removing. But I will have to get the ABS working, so now I know where the box to replace is located, so that is good.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Very doubtful the ABS box (EBCM) is the reason behind your yellow brake warning light coming on. Most of the time it is one or more of the wheel speed sensors. The insulation covering the wires gets frayed away in the wheel wells and the conductors break causing the EBCM to turn the yellow light on.

You can see the trouble codes stored in the EBCM by shorting some contacts in the under dash diagnostic connector (ALDL) and reading the red light flashes.

Go here to find out how, but be forewarned that sometimes the codes as read don't match up correctly with the true wheel that having the issue.

How To Access ABS Diagnostic Codes - Reatta Owners Journal

Thanks for that - once again, not the mechanics fault - I just misunderstood him and assumed something that I should not have. Cell tranceiver box I think is the final answer. I think I will just leave it in place instead of removing. But I will have to get the ABS working, so now I know where the box to replace is located, so that is good.

This might already have been covered. Dose the yellow light stay on all the time or does it wait until you are going about 15 MPH before it comes on? Knowing that is helpful in troubleshooting the cause of the yellow ABS light being on.

Guest Corvanti

Trey, what "Mc_Reatta" says! :)

i'd suggest starting a new thread about your ABS light if the problem continues. also check the "search forum" feature about 1/3rd down on the right, next to "forum tools" on the reatta main page. i've read several threads about it there...

i also have the yellow ABS light on my reatta and will be checking out the codes/sensors as soon as i'm able.

EDIT: what Ronnie says, too!!! i'm such a slow typist. : (

Edited by Corvanti
add'l info (see edit history)