Need Buick Brake Booster Rebuilder in North Texas...

Guest MHMason

Guest MHMason

I live in North Texas and I know there's somebody in the area that can rebuild the brake booster and master cylinder on a 1955 Buick Roadmaster. I'd like to stay away from the eBay exchange ordeal simply because the booster/master cyl on the car wouldn't be the one that came with the car (not that big a deal, it's my last resort option). I'm also familiar with White Post (Oak?) restoration in Virginia. But I've heard that there's somebody that still does this but nobody can remember his name or where exactly he is! She's sooooo close to being on the road; biggest hang up right now is the booster. Any guidance or information is appreciated.

Thanks,

MHMason

I agree with staying away from exchange programs. I'm a booster for Booster Dewey. He did a great job on my '60 and put the original yellow cad plating on it. Very happy with the results.

At the same time I sent my master cylinder the Apply Hydraulics, another excellent company.

I have experience with all three mentioned sf far. Booster Dewey and Apple Hydraulics will get my money every time.

Bernie

Power Brake Exchange in California use to rebuild units for Whitepost, not sure if they still do. (Discovered this when I found an invoice from PBE in the box that Whitepost sent my rebuilt unit back to me in....ooops) So PBE has now rebuilt 2 54 Power Brake Master Cylinders for me.

Nostalgic Brake Boosters

What are they doing when rebuilding the vacuum booster,how much do they change ? You can bay almost everthing to your old Buick ,kit for almost everything but you can`t buy a booster rebuilding kit what I can see,exept for some single parts.I have been looking for a long time but can`t find a complete vacuum booster kit? Or where do I find it?

Leif in Sweden.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have had few problems with the booster: there is a hose inside the cylinder that is probably bad and is easy to replace; the leather cup on the piston is probably dirty and dry and is easy to clean and lubricate with transmission fluid.

The power brake master cylinder is a different story. There used to be suppliers that would sell an easily installed kit, but the last time I needed one, no one would sell...I found one in a sealed can on ebay.

What are the symptoms that leads you to believe that the booster needs rebuilding?

Willie

Willy,I don`t need to rebuild my vacuum booster,but a friend of mine had some noise in his booster ,we adjusted it with schims and the noise was gone for a couple of weeks,then it came back again.

My question still is where to find a complete kit?Just becuse I have never seen it on E-Bay or any other place,that`s why I asked how they did to rebuilt the booster.Just cleaning and adjusting or?

Leif in Sweden

Willy,I don`t need to rebuild my vacuum booster,but a friend of mine had some noise in his booster ,we adjusted it with schims and the noise was gone for a couple of weeks,then it came back again.

My question still is where to find a complete kit?Just becuse I have never seen it on E-Bay or any other place,that`s why I asked how they did to rebuilt the booster.Just cleaning and adjusting or?

Leif in Sweden

Leif

Try the cleaning, lubricating and inspecting first. That hissing may be from the defective hose or leaking around the leather cup.

You have a PM for link to a rebuild kit.

Willie