1957 Buick - what did they have in the trunk

Topper1961

Hi all 1950`s and early 1960`s Buick owners!

This years last Christmas quiz. Being a BIG lover of our beautiful 57 Buick's, I have started to wonder what did they have in the trunk the first years they owned their Buick's. In the Buick Accessories for 1957 pamphlet or brochure it shows for example Battery Warmer, Handy Tool Kit, different polish and cleaners. I also seen authentic pictures from that period with 2 1/2 gallon Eagle gas can etc. On EBAY you find all kind of NOS Brushes, old Gas cans, Emergency Lights etc. Do any body know what was the most common items. I understand that it was depending on State and climatic conditions and that it probably would vary a lot. Just bought a NOS Vintage Hilco Revolving Safety Lite Light / Flashlight - New in Box from late 50s early 60s and a New in Box Vintage SAVE UR LIFE Emergency Travel Trouble Light. I wonder if some of this items possible where common.

PS! what cars are supossed to be pictured on the box? a Willys FC 150 and a Nash or a Rambler, and what model/year?

Thanks for a nice year on our forum - looking forward to a Happy New Buick Year.

post-60827-143139312883_thumb.jpg

post-60827-143139312266_thumb.jpg

post-60827-143139312277_thumb.jpg

post-60827-143139312282_thumb.jpg

Edited by Topper1961
correcting text (see edit history)

Hi Pete!

If you google Willys FC 150, you could see the similarity to a 57 -58 willys due to the horns on the front bumper and I personaly think the other one is looking like a 58 Rambler or Nash based on the shape, frontlights and grill. Let`s wait and hear what the other guys opion or guess are!

Joern

I think the car drawing on the box is a generic one--no particular brand--but the Willys drawing is definitely a Forward Control Willys Jeep. Look at that wonderful and rare '57 Special TWO DOOR SEDAN that ran out of gas...!!! Nice.

Pete Phillipsm BCA #7338

Edited by Topper1961
adding text (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

JOERN, here in the winter, even today, nobody leaves the city without a small shovel in the trunk. Most also have an old blanket and some candles tucked away somewhere. There's a myth that the heat of just one candle will keep you alive inside a stalled car on a cold night. That's the stuff that was stowed in my parents' car in the 1950s. Plus a box of Kleenex that slid back and forth across the rear package shelf.

It's comforting to know that, in Florida at least, an armed police officer will come to a lady's aid if she runs out of gas.

Especially if she is driving a 1957 Model 48 2 Door Sedan!! That would seem to be a no brainer, to have an armed policeman make sure that you have eneough fuel to get home safely with that beautiful and rare Buick!!

Joern,

My 57 came with this emergency flasher light. I think it is original with the car. Has a magnetic mount and flashes like emergency flashers do. I am guessing Rob is also correct on the blanket and stuff as well. I like this post to figure out the trendy car stuff for 1957 that you need in the trunk for an emergency! Thanks...

post-65800-14313931381_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim!

Thanks for your support to this thread (Pete & Rob thanks to you to). Yes I hope we can use this thread to continue a travel in the past finding out what was in the trunk and inside the car as well in those days. I wonder what kind of tow arrangement they had or not had, maybe the Tow Truck from the nearest Gas Station was the back bone? If they had some, would be a Tow Rope, Wire or some kind of stage? Another thing is what type of spare bulbs and fuses did they keep in the glove box. You can find a lot of old 50s glasfuses in small paper or tin boxes on Ebay....

Regarding your emergency flashing light, guess it is fully functional, looks pretty cool! Is there any year of production on it?

Thanks for posting the picture:)

Joern

Joern,

My 57 came with this emergency flasher light. I think it is original with the car. Has a magnetic mount and flashes like emergency flashers do. I am guessing Rob is also correct on the blanket and stuff as well. I like this post to figure out the trendy car stuff for 1957 that you need in the trunk for an emergency! Thanks...

Edited by Topper1961
Adding and correcting text (see edit history)

Especially if she is driving a 1957 Model 48 2 Door Sedan!! That would seem to be a no brainer, to have an armed policeman make sure that you have eneough fuel to get home safely with that beautiful and rare Buick!!

She could also have been his twin sister (squint real hard and notice the resemblance) driving his car, or she's the owner of the local donut shop on her way to work. :o

Dad always carried those red flare sticks and a bag of crushed cinders in the trunk.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

..... "Now lady make sure to tell good ol Jim boy that when he put this here bumper back on his car of his, that he forgot the darn neck gasket; Oh and by the way, do you mind if I search your trunk?"

Edit:.... oh, I seem to remember that on the Buick official service guide they discuss and show a newly designed truck lifting fork setup for tow trucks, due to the new suspension design of the 57 models. Apparently the old bar/tow hook setup was the wrong approach as it would tweek components out of wack. It looked more like some kind of sling setup.

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

My grandfather left belts, radiator hoses, jumper cables (with fabric insulation), a folding army shovel, a wool blanket (also us army), a big red steel toolbox packed full of tools, a 6v lantern, spare battery, and a 5 gallon gas can in the trunk. He also had tire chains and a paint can full of cinders for winter. There was no room for luggage when they travelled. Anything could be fixed real time. My parents said it was an adventure, especially if a ground hog or a buck was spotted in a field while driving. He eventually added Air Lifts to the rear springs so it didn't bottom out. They were still there and intact when the car was pulled out of the shed.

The lantern, shovel, cables and blanket are still in the trunk. The toolbox was like 100 lbs and its outta there. The cables would probably explode if used, they are just for show. They look like what Doc Brown used to connect to the clock tower in Back to the Future..

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)

The lantern, shovel, cables and blanket are still in the trunk. The toolbox was like 100 lbs and its outta there. The cables would probably explode if used, they are just for show. They look like what Doc Brown used to connect to the clock tower in Back to the Future..

Ken,

Awesome...They did have pretty big trunks back then and I always like those photos showing the family getting ready for vacation with 7 pcs of luggage, golf bags, dog and other small and sundry items..all staged to go in the trunk! Hilarious! The reality is just like you said..traveling in one of these things is always an adventure..just like to BCA Nationals in Charlotte...:)

post-65800-143139318719_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143139318724_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143139318743_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jim

It was 45 out today so braved the warm upstate weather and fired up the Buick for a little bit. Heres some of the trunk junk from 50+ years ago that we found in the car...and thats just part of what filled up the trunk on travel back then. The campbell tire chains are in my shed, still in the box. Box like new, chains worn to a nub. No more battery - guess I should have kept it. It was a beat up Delco battery with the yellow caps. The lantern still works!! See what I mean about them jumper cables? Bzzzt!

So, the basic sequence of events in time of breakdown is you give yourself a hernia lifting a 90 lb tool box from the package shelf in the trunk and hauling it to the front of the car, top the car off with gas, and since we all pour gas as accurately as we pour beer, who needs a funnel, and then try to jump start it. *Poof* Then you could huddle under the blanket with your flashlight and sore back until help arrived and try to explain what happened.

With that vision in mind, the can was unceremoniously removed from the trunk and today serves permanent lawn mower duty.

post-31011-143139336313_thumb.jpg

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)

Ken..nice collection of trunk junk you have there! I can see why the jumpers could be a little problematic! We all know that tools (of course the one you do need is the only one missing), gasoline of questionable vintage, a set of "old sparkies" and telling your favorite buddy..Here, hold my beer and watch this! and BOOM..a fire that would rival St. Joan of Arc's demise!!

You are right..traveling back then was an adventure..but I also guess that most of the owners of these cars had probably seen much worse about 12 - 15 years earlier in their lives..so having all that would be a walk in the park.