"Shock Wave Engine"

Dave Mellor NJ

You have to remember that this time of year is grant proposal writing time. It is not a coincidence that every year this time there are new potential cures for cancer discovered, new power sources dreamed up (think cold fusion) and new medicines that will allow us to live longer and stronger. All of course need grant money for "further research and development" and will alledgedly revolutionize our lives in 3-5 years. Happily a very small minority of these discoveries actually DO revolutionize our lives. I'm long out of academic life but I'm sure the scramble for grant money hasn't changed much.

Looks to me like an interesting variation on the gas turbine. I don't see where it can be as fuel efficient as a piston engine and I don't see where shock waves come into it. It might work as a constant speed engine, optimized for one RPM. That must be why he talks of using it to drive an alternator to charge batteries on an electric hybrid.

I'd buy one if it works. An engine with 1 moving part running on ball bearings, with nothing to wear out, no vibration, in a powerful silent infinitely flexible electric car? What's not to like?

You have to remember that this time of year is grant proposal writing time. It is not a coincidence that every year this time there are new potential cures for cancer discovered, new power sources dreamed up (think cold fusion) and new medicines that will allow us to live longer and stronger. All of course need grant money for "further research and development" and will alledgedly revolutionize our lives in 3-5 years. Happily a very small minority of these discoveries actually DO revolutionize our lives. I'm long out of academic life but I'm sure the scramble for grant money hasn't changed much.

This is the most likely scenario.