Engine stand for inline 8 cylinder

Robert G. Smits

hi, i ended up back in the late 1970's welding together my own engine stand for a pontiac straight eight, not only did i make the bottom legs longer, i also welded in a gusset to make the bottom of the vertical pipe have more support than just the welds where the vertical is welded to the lower legs.

I made my 6 cylinder Continental engine stand for my 1928 Durant out of 2x4s and commercial braces I bought at home depot. I also did the same thing for my body stand. With the metal corner brackets installed and the 2 x 4's it will hold a lot of weight. I purchased a set of wheels from the local Northern Tool supply and both roll real easy around the garage.

Ii bought one for a diesel truck engine rated at 2000 pounds, I think from Amazon.com or someplace mail-order (NOT Harbor Freight). It handled all 862 pounds of Buick straight-8 without issues and without sagging. The key is the two support braces that help keep the upright, well, upright. Here's a just OK photo of the engine stand, but you can see the outriggers and the additional braces that hold it upright.

Separated.jpg

I think it was cheap, too. Under $200 maybe?

A caution to anyone that has to put any engine bigger or longer than a small V-8 into a stand that only supports it off of the front half of the bell-housing on the back of the engine .

In the engine rebuilding industry there are many known cases of this area warping and cracking and causing misalignment of the transmission to the engine and causing the clutch to not be able to release later on or problems w/torque converters. They have also been known to tip over so be very careful!!!! The one above that Matt Harwood shows looks to be better than most.

The best way is a stand like we use here in the shop that supports the engine from both ends. This stand will give you some ideas if you want to make one. This one is an assembly and shipping skid from a big diesel engine we modified to be adjustable for length and width. You can put an engine in sideways as in the first photo or length wise as the Mercer engine is in the second photo. Commercial diesel engine stands made in this way can also be found.

The last two photos show a turning arrangement that good friend Joe Bolger fabricated for me that uses a flywheel and a starter gear. Other than the pillow blocks he made the rest of it and did an incredible job. I also have two different length handles for it and it is a joy to use.

We regularly start engines up in this stand here in the shop for testing after rebuilding, before they go into the car and have run engines in it as big 825 C.I. t-head sixes in it. With a long wooden 4x4 we also use it

as a rotisserie for frames.

post-65489-143139252479_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143139252485_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143139252489_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143139252493_thumb.jpg

Edited by T-Head (see edit history)

I would appreciate your thoughts for a inline 8 cylinder Pontiac engine stand. Everything on the market seems to be for V-8's. Thanks Bob Smits #8218569

Bob -- My brother welded together a stand for my straight-8 Auburn engine, and I'll be finished with it in about a month. You ought to be able to adapt it to your engine. -- James Bartlett

James,

Your generous offer to Bob is yet another example of what makes this hobby of ours so special!

By the way, I especially enjoyed visiting with both of you on the Glidden Tour last month, and special thanks to Pam for suggesting those restaurants.

Marty