Interior Wood Frame Preservation

Bill Harmatuk

Ladys and Gentlemen

I will only have one chance to preserve the wooden framework on the inside, behind the upholstery in my 30 Chrysler. It is all in excellent original condition.

What would be a good product to apply to the wood to see it through 80 more years.

Tung oil?? Boiled linseed oil?? I just want to nourish the oak and maple, (?), not harden the wood or coat the wood with anything that will harden.

Looking for thoughts from the experts.

Thanks in advance

Bill Harmatuk

No, I am not that far along with the restoration.

Edited by Bill Harmatuk (see edit history)

Bill, Would treating the wood with oil do any good if it did not penetrate the wood? If it did penetrate, would it negatively effect the glued joints? I am redoing some structual wood framing on my car and not being a wood expert I have a lot of questions myself. Terry

i

Terry

I was just thinking out loud. one day the car is going to see day light and be exposed to humidity again.I was guessing that while I have the chance, was there anything I could do to help preserve the wood from dry rot or what ever. As a person that works with wood, sometimes,... If you look at the craftsmanship of the interior frame work, I feel like I should treat it with something. Some kind of oil. Are the joints glued?

I know a guy that restores 300 year old violins, that I see from time to time and I bet he has an idea. Violins are made of what... maple, I think.

My daughter has a Masters in performance from Boston Conservatory.

Crazy post.

Bill H

Seems to me any type of organic oil might attract insects rather than repell them. There is nothing you can do to "nourish" the wood. Any applied preservative would only penetrate a very few millimeters at best. Leave it alone and don't park the car in the rain if you can avoid it.

I know a guy that restores 300 year old violins, that I see from time to time and I bet he has an idea. Violins are made of what... maple, I think.

My daughter has a Masters in performance from Boston Conservatory.

Crazy post.

Bill H

I think you'll discover that violins and antique string instruments are a whole different world. You're dealing with varnished wood (the varnishes on antique instrument are, in some cases, considered priceless) vs. raw wood and it's considered a sin to refinish an old instrument or to try to "clean" them.

The absolute best thing for antique string instruments it to be played regularly (thus kept in tip-top condition) and to be stored in climate and humidity controlled environment when not in use. Playing them regularly helps the wood stay "alive," which is why you'll hear people say things about particular instruments such as they need to be "broken in" or "played in." Humidity control helps keep them from cracking. In the winter we use things called dampits to keep some moisture in them when the air dries out.

It's funny to be talking about this on the AACA forum, as I'm in symphony orchestra administration for a "major" orchestra and part of what I do is keep tabs on the orchestra owned instruments including a Stradivarius violin, among other rarities. We go to great lengths to ensure these instruments, some of them worth more than $1 million, are well taken care of.

I am shortly going to build a new timber frame for a car and had intended to paint it with oil based primer.

I contacted some of the paint manufactures and was advised that acrylic primer sealer and acrylic top coat the same as they now use on houses etc. are far superior in sealing and longevity to the old oil based paints so I will probably go with that.

ive been a union and auto painter for 40 years-the reason paint manufacturers are pushing water base paints is because the epa or whoever are fazing out oil products.miniral based products will penetrate and bond much beter than waterborn products.i dont know about insect problems-when i stain or seal wood i use oil products.get some test panels and try both-i think youll agree-but thats just me-goodluck.t.nugent roa 12969.......

Guest martylum

I Favor treating the wood framing which is structural with either marine varnish or an oil based enamel to minimise moisture absorbtion especially in the door framing as water is going to drop into the lower door framing when you get caught out in the rain or are on a tour on a rainy day. The same goes with the body sills which tie the body to the chassis. If the wood takes on moisture and swells it can alter the fit of the doors.

Bill -I was at Qual Krom the day your radiator shell shipped out to you.

Martin Lum

owner of a wood framed 30 Desoto roadster