Dome light

Guest Truth80

Try turning the dash panel lights down and see if that works. Some MoPars have a "click" when you turn the light switch or dash panel light knob to the right. That turns the dome light on.

There could be (not sure with later cars) a switch on the inside of either, or both, door pillars. It is a slide switch and is located about shoulder height when sitting in the car..

The other thing could be that the door jamb switch is not making contact when the doors are closing. May need to be cleaned, or .......

If all else fails you probably have a short between the lamp and the switch. Generally dome light switches both jamb and slide type are used to ground the circuit.

Guest Truth80

I think someone removed the switch because there is no door jam switch and I can't find one anywhere else. Guess I'll have the trace the wireing and install a switch. Thanks for reply!

Guest Truth80

On the righthand passanger door! Isn't working but I found it! Never seen one only on passanger side before. Thisn is my first restoration and I'm not real swift at it yet. My first car as a teenager was a 54 Plymouth savoy. So I bought one 2 months ago and I am now working as a novice at it. This form has been a big big help. I still got things to ask tho!!;):confused:

Guest Truth80

Someone told me that when I cjange the oil I have to add zinc. They say modern oil doesn't have the same componets that the flathead 6 requires. Any truth to that?

Don't think so. The cars that suffer from lack of zinc are OHV pushrod type engines like Detroit V8s from the sixties and seventies. Especially the high performance models with hot cams and stiff valve springs.

Today's overhead cam engines don't need the zinc because their valve trains are so lightly loaded. Just like your "underhead cam" six lol. Seriously, your car's valve train is very simple and light with light valve springs. The lack of zinc shouldn't hurt it.

If you are concerned you can use Shell Rotella 15W40 or diesel rated oil. They still have zinc .

They didn't start adding zinc until the advent of OHV V8s in the early 50s. Some of the first ones had a rash of cam and lifter failures. Then they added zinc to the oil and the manufacturers improved their materials and solved the problem. Your Plymouth is one of the "old school" designs before zinc.

The zinc can't hurt but is not strictly necessary.

I would be more concerned about upper cylinder and valve wear. The long stroke engines have more friction in that area. A shot of marvel mystery oil, redex, bardahl or your favorite upper cylinder lube can help, but again, not strictly necessary.

The wiring diagram shows power going to the bulb, controlled by 2 switches on the ground side. There should be a switch on the door post or on the light itself (you say this isn't there on your model) the other switch is on the door post.

So, the problem seems to be a short or ground between the bulb and the switch. I suspect the wire has fallen off the back of the switch and hit the body or, the insulation has worn through on the wire at some point. Or, a defective switch.

The door switch may be built into one of the screws that hold the upper door hinge to the A-pillar of the body. The center of the screw pops out when you open the door. This switch was first used on '52 Plymouths and continued for a few years.

I also recommend joining the forum at p15-d24.com which is dedicated to flathead-era Chrysler products and has many knowledgeable members.

www.P15-D24.com - Powered by vBulletin

Guest Truth80

I really think that is a major part of the problem. Someone else put a new radio in right under the dash near the door. So I don't know what they may have done. Soon as this weather is over I am going to get into it. Will keep all posted.

Guest Truth80

I FINALY GOT THE DOME LIGHT FIXEd. The switch in the front passanger door worked. There must have been a short some where in the line between the switch and the light. I finally just ran new wires from the switch to light and it works fine now. Thanks for all input!

Guest Truth80

AND! after I rewired it I found a second switch that I could not find before. For future, it is located behind the drivers seat up on the post coloum that diveds the back and front window!