Wanted: OD trans for '36 Dodge car

Steve9

Hi, I'm rebuilding the engine on my car and while it's out I want to explore the idea of overdrive for it. Can anyone offer info on what will fit? Is there a interchange guide showing what will go? Anything steering me in the right direction is appreciated! Thanks.

Hello Steve, you may also wish to post this question on this forum....... www.P15-D24.com - Powered by vBulletin

For what its worth overdrives as you prob. know would have been a period correct modification ( or thereabouts ) and while I am not interested in going that route with my own car and would not go out of my way to sell it to anyone I also dont see much wrong with it as its just a bolt on ( or off ) item.

Good luck

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Overdrive units were available in the '30's but I'm not sure if they were available on '36 Dodges. I had a friend who had a '37 Chrysler Imperial 7 pass.sedan with a factory overdrive, man would that thing go! Could be a nice bolt on option for those cars,get a little more speed out of it. You'll also have to get a shorter drive shaft.

Hi Steve, The overdrive setup on Chrysler products was a Borg Warner unit. It was mated to a transmission that was designed for it and will not bolt on to a standard trans. The housing, mainshaft and other items were different. While you are looking for an overdrive setup be aware that some were made with the transmission mounted emergency brake drum and others were made for emergency brakes in the rear drums. The earliest units were not operated with electric solinoids and did not have the ability to drop into "passing gear" by putting the gas pedal to the floor. The electric units I believe came out in the late 30s. Prior to that you had to engage the overdrive when you achieved a certain speed and could not shift out of overdrive until you slowed down to a certain speed. The R-6 unit that I have is a non electric type. The R-10 units are electric solinoid operated. I know nothing about rear end changes but I do know that a shorter drive shaft is required. One more thing to look at is the universal joit configuration. Some used the ball and trunion and others used the Spicer joint like a modern car. I got mine from a hotrodder and had planned to use itsome day but that day has not yet come to pass. Good luck in your search and if you can get the driveshaft that was attached to the unit do so. You can use that slip joint and universal on the front of your present driveshaft since you will be cutting it down anyway.

Terry

Thanks for the input, guys. A friend just installed overdrive into a '37 Desoto. It came out of a Chrysler and fits with a shorter driveshaft custom made by a local driveshaft company. He was told the cutdown shaft cannot be balanced, hence the new shaft. It works perfectly. It seems Chrysler and Desoto were one size trans, Dodge and Plymouth another. I've got a feeling this search could go on.....a long time.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve9 !

as you may gathered I have a 34 Dodge , i am have issues with freewheel transmission , which I am still going to repair !

i have recently bought a 1937 borgwarner overdrive and trans that came from a 1937 Australian built Plymouth that had broken cluster gear and worn overdrive sun gear ,all has bean repaired , now it's just a matter of fitting it .

it not a straight swap for a 34 as the gear shift is mounted in upper x member .

i don't know how your gearshift is fitted ,if it's straight out of transmission the job will be a lot easier !

my point is if you really want to fit one you can.

cheers Tony.

The shifter on the '36 is on the top of the trans. I have been talking to an old timer regarding his 2 late '30s overdrives on fitting my car. He's not going to need both, right? Nice looking '34. I hope your OD works out.

I've installed an overdrive in my 34 dodge coupe. As has been noted, they never came from the factory this way. Mine is from a 38 6 cyl. chrysler. I had to use the tranny cover from my old transmission. It wasn't long enough so I welded in a section. This is required because of the 34's having the shift lever mounted to a cross member as mentioned above. I shortened the drivesshaft. The parking brake on the 34 is a drum on the back of the tranny. The operating linkage was on the wrong side on the od so I fabricated different linkage to make it all work. I like the od a lot. I have another that will go into my 34 dodge conv. when I get around to restoring it.

Ken

Hi Tony

Yes I used the 34 bell housing still. No mods required on it at all. I have had a few shifting issues, mainly it doesn't always want to go into 2nd gear. According to the repair manual, I think the problem is that the engine has to be adjusted level on the rear motor mounts. I believe the engine torque over the years has caused a slight rotation of the whole engine on the slotted rear mounts. This wouldn't be a problem if the gear shift lever bolted directly onto the transmission like the later cars. It's a big issue with our 34's though as the lever bolts on to the cross member. I'll know in the next week or so as I'm just getting my coupe back on the road after replacing the cluster gear. It had a broken tooth.

Ken

t5 sounds interesting 5speed why not !!

Why not....Ok I will try I and answer that, because at this point you are removing the original trans and replacing it, in most cases the original trans will get lost in a corner and then most likely later scrapped because everyone forgot what the hell it was. Ever try and find an original trans when you need it, not easy!

At this point you are no longer driving a 1934 vehicle in my opinion. You are driving a hot rod. If you cannot appreciate the car in most every way for what it originally was than why are you playing with old cars. Go out and buy the new Vette, it prob. has 8 or 10 speeds by now.

Why not....Ok I will try I and answer that, because at this point you are removing the original trans and replacing it, in most cases the original trans will get lost in a corner and then most likely later scrapped because everyone forgot what the hell it was. Ever try and find an original trans when you need it, not easy!

At this point you are no longer driving a 1934 vehicle in my opinion. You are driving a hot rod. If you cannot appreciate the car in most every way for what it originally was than why are you playing with old cars. Go out and buy the new Vette, it prob. has 8 or 10 speeds by now.

Thanks for that,Jason. I couldn't have said it better myself! I am envisioning smoke coming out of your ears too. Seriously, There is no way I'll put new stuff on that dual sidemount car, period. The antique club would toss me out and that's part of the reason for owning it in the first place. Going to their reunion picnic with 100 other pre-war all stock cars is the cat's pjs. Thank you guys for the continued input on this subject.

• 9 months later...

Personally I like the 5 speed idea.

You have to remember that the speeds that we drive these days don't lend themselves to these old stock cars.

In the thirties there were no freeways or even paved roads for that matter. So one is torturing the old motor to keep up with even city driving.

Any bolt on kit can be unbolted if you want to change it back when you retire the car. But for driving I wouldn't be afraid to use some modern parts that will in the long run let your engine live longer.

If you put the old tranny under the bench you might want to label it so your grand kids can put it with your car at the auction.

How is your overdrive working?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your interest. I have found the correct overdrive for my car here locally! It's funny how you send out a worldwide call, and the item you need is right under your nose. As soon as I get it home, I'll post pics and story too. Steve.

• 7 months later...
Guest alastair

Hi, I am also looking for overdrivbe transmission for my 1936 Dodge Brothers. It was fitted therewith (three speed floorshift with overdrive) when I acquired the vehicle about 18 yrs ago and it all looks pretty standard. THe transmission packed up a week ago and I would like to repeace it and get the lady going again. I anybody can help, please let my know. My e-mail address is home@aviolin.co.za. Thank you very much. Alastair van Huyssteen

• 1 month later...