1952 Buick Power steering questions

rapidride2

Hello, I have found a 52' Buick road master with a power steering set up. However it is a thousand + miles away. I am wanting to get this rare setup. however I need details on everything i should get. I'm assuming i need to get the crank pulley on the harmonic balancer, brackets pump. reservoir, lines etc.

How does this dismantle from the steering column? Can I use my original manual steering column and bolt the power steering unit to mine? Does it unbolt from the steering tube? Anything else i need like a pitman arm etc????

Also, will my gear selector linkage mechanisms on my non-power steering car work with this unit or do i need the set up from the power steering car (i hope not)

Is a column (steering shaft) the same on a power steering car versus non-power steering car? (i really hope not)

I am 38 so I don't know too much about this setup.. i just know it's rare and would be a great addition to my 52 riviera road master.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by rapidride2 (see edit history)

You will need the complete steering-column and house as well. Also the gear-linkage to the dynaflow.

I made the change a few tears ago and it was not all that difficult. The hardest part was replacing the steering-column and boxes as a unit. The power-steeringbox is built on top of the existing steeringbox.

And you will love it when done

Edited by Erik (see edit history)

you will need the complete built together steering coluum-power steering unit, it doesn't have a connection ragjoint that started being used in 56 or 57. the lower pullies perhaps the harmonic balancer, the pullies on the waterpump, the pitman arm, the trans linkage, the pump and it's mounting bracket, hardware, the hoses. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest martylum

Hi-I'm in the middle of restoring 53 Buick 76X convertible and have removed the P/S components. You want to get everything you've listed including the whole steering column right up to the steering wheel and perhaps even the steering wheel to be sure you'll have everything needed. You also want to get the 2 mounting brackets and bolts which hold the box to the frame rail as they too might be different as well as the pittman arm.

I have my pump and box at a hydraulic testing shop for testing as the car has lots of miles on it and I only want to install it once. If the box and pump don't have oil in them be more nervous about their condition. The box is quite heavy 70-80# and won't be cheap to ship.

I installed a P/S setup on a 56 Buick from a 56 parts car-my how they cut the weight and simplified things in three years.

Martin Lum

53 Buick

You will need the complete steering-column and house as well. Also the gear-linkage to the dynaflow.

I made the change a few tears ago and it was not all that difficult. The hardest part was replacing the steering-column and boxes as a unit. The power-steeringbox is built on top of the existing steeringbox.

And you will love it when done

Did you need the harmonic balancer, water pump pulley for the swap? I am assuming i could use my current steering wheel. i wonder if i could use my existing steering center link?

• 2 weeks later...
Did you need the harmonic balancer, water pump pulley for the swap? I am assuming i could use my current steering wheel. i wonder if i could use my existing steering center link?

Yes, the harmonic balancer for PS has two grooves. One for fan/waterpump and one for PS pump.

The '52 setup was the original steering box with the PS built on top. From the pitman arm and out everything's the same, but as the steering shaft was shortend to accommodate for the PS, the whole column, gear linkage, brackets and bolts are different. Wheel, signal arm/mechanism, horn etc are the same.

The short version for the swap is: Detatch pitman arm, gear linkage and steering colomn brackets etc. Swap steering colomns. Replace harmonic balancer. Mount PS pump. And now the tricky bit: Drain some cooling fluid and remove 2nd and 3rd left hand headbolt and fit the resevoir. You might consider replacing the head gasket while you are at it. Thighten ALL headbolts to spec. If you don't have a fancy tool you will need to remove the rocker assembly and from here to a new headgasket is ½ hour. Do the plumbing and bleed the pump according to the shop manual and Bob's your uncle.

• 3 years later...
Guest honestb

Hi have 52 Buick 50 Series Super Woodie Wagon .Want original manual steering set up for it.Steering wheel to steering box mounts and all. If you have one and are willing to sell.Or know where I can locate it please email me at belvinbryan@sbcglobal.net. Thanks Brian

52-Buick-40-1-155x105.jpg

Edited by honestb
add pic (see edit history)

Greetings

Posted pix of this swap in process on my friends 50 Super convertible in the modified forum. No manual trans for Roadmaster 1952 that I've heard. The steering column is different even between automatic cars as it had to be shorter between the steering sector and the firewall becuz the power steering box is huge compared to manual. Interchange says PS sector, "common" 52-55, but steering shaft being  intregal from box to wheel, with different lengths every model, makes interchange a cut and weld situation most times if not same model. Of course I could sell you a floor shifter, oops, never mind this is the "stocker" forum, all puns intended! The pulley on the balancer is riveted on from the factory, makes it intergal to the balancer small or large engine, the brackets from small engine aren't the same as those for the 320" Roadmaster engine.The "kit" we found is for the small engine cars, so the PS fluid resevoir is attached on top of the pump. The setup I have for 320 has a remote resevoir that mounts to the cylinder head bolts. The 320 pump uses a cast manifold bolted to the top of the pump for the extra hoses that come from the remote reservoir, used, I think, becuz the air cleaner was in the way of the reservoir that would otherwise be attached directly on top of pump on the small engine application. It interchanged bolt for bolt on the 50 Super. Rebuilt pump and sector done by Lares mfg. 800.00 and change, new hoses made by Pirtek Co. 151.00. Can't imagine what cross country shipping would cost$$$$$. Word of caution, if it's a long way away be certain you have absolutely everything you need in one shot, cuz those individual parts are pretty much  unobtainium. I'd like to have a 320 pump bracket myself, anyone? Hope that helps. My experience, others may differ. Greg PS Whiteys' kid and his crew did a beautiful job restoring those parts(Lares that is)!

Edited by Guest
Dim bulb! (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

reading this with interest , have 53 special , but not driven it yet as waiting for delivery.

it has no power steering , wondered if this will be difficult and how much of a job changing it would be . Obviously availability and cost of parts also major consideration . Any views welcome 

cheers

pilgrim

Pilgrim, it is understandable that most folks want power steering today. Every vehicle made in recent years has it and if you've ever had to turn the wheel of a car where it did not work, you know it's very difficult.  But standard steering in the 50's was not like that.  Standard steering is not that hard to get used to.  On the open road where the turning is minimal, it is hard to tell you do not have power steering.  In turns, if you are moving the car while turning it is almost imperceptible that there is no power assist. 

Tight turns, or turns when parallel parking do require more effort but again, if the vehicle is moving, it's really not that much more.  If you are stopped and trying to turn the wheel, then yes, it requires some effort.  But how often will that happen? 

• Like 2

Guest honestb

Hi i am still looking for the manual set up for the 52 super.If you have them please post or email me at   belvinbryan@sbcglobal.net  thanks Brian

On 7/1/2016 at 6:32 AM, JohnD1956 said:

if you've ever had to turn the wheel of a car where it did not work, you know it's very difficult.

It is extremely difficult, worse than manual steering. If you get a junkyard box, make sure to have it professionally rebuilt so there is a warranty and dependability.

• 5 years later...
On 13/10/2012 at 14:50, Erik said:

Sim, o balanceador harmônico para PS tem duas ranhuras. Um para ventilador/bomba de água e outro para bomba PS.

A configuração de '52 era a caixa de direção original com o PS construído em cima. Do braço pitman e para fora, tudo é o mesmo, mas como o eixo de direção foi encurtado para acomodar o PS, toda a coluna, articulação da engrenagem, suportes e parafusos são diferentes. Roda, braço/mecanismo de sinal, buzina etc são os mesmos.

A versão curta para a troca é: Desconecte o braço pitman, a articulação da engrenagem e os suportes das colunas de direção etc. Troque as colunas de direção. Substitua o balanceador harmônico. Monte a bomba PS. E agora a parte complicada: drene um pouco de fluido de resfriamento e remova o 2º e o 3º cabeçote esquerdo e encaixe o reservatório. Você pode considerar substituir a junta do cabeçote enquanto estiver nisso. Aperte TODOS os parafusos de cabeça de acordo com as especificações. Se você não tiver uma ferramenta sofisticada, precisará remover o conjunto do balancim e daqui para uma nova junta de cabeça é ½ hora. Faça o encanamento e sangre a bomba de acordo com o manual da loja e Bob é seu tio.

look .  do you have this double pulley for power steering.  I have the original photo of a 1953 pontiac buick please .

Screenshot_20220403-163624_Messenger.jpg