2013 Pre War Division (National Meet) After Tour

Brian_Heil

PWD Tourists -

Plans are underway for the subject After Tour. Here's what I can share so far to help with planning and room reservations.

The Pre War Division After Tours have a history of pay-as-you-go, no Tour fees, and that will be the case again in 2013.

Sunday July 21st will be our Travel Day via Shipshewana, Indiana enroute to Fremont, Indiana.

There are two choices for accomodations in the Fremont, IN area. First, is the historic Potowatomi Inn (part of the Indiana State Parks) and the other, more traditional, is the Comfort Inn in Fremont, Indiana. Both are minutes from each other. Make your own reservations. (see details in post below for group rate) Our Group is not large enough to receive any package discounts (no longer true). The Comfort Inn does have a breakfast included. Both have good parking for trailers. Motorhome parking available, contact me. www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/inns/potawatomi www.comfortinn.com/hotel-fremont-indiana-IN237

Monday we will travel South to the the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Mueseum in Auburn, Indiana (also a bus tour option for the National Meet so join us on Monday), Lunch, as well as the National Military History Center in Auburn, IN. ~85 miles total for the day. www.automobilemuseum.org www.militaryhistorycenter.org

Tuesday we will travel North to historic Marshall, Michigan and Lunceon at the world famous Win Schuler's resturant. We will have a couple of interesting stops along the way. ~100 miles for the day. Marshall Area Chamber of Commerce :: Attractions in Marshall, MI www.schulersrestaurant.com

Wednesday is departure day. Fremont, Indiana is at the crossroads of the Indiana I-80/90 Toll Road (East/West) and I-69 Interstate (North/South) for easy access to your home route.

I've added a fourth optional day tour, see post below.

I have Toured both Monday and Tuesday's routes/venues as part of a recent VMCCA Nickel Tour an I think you will enjoy the routes and stops.

So, let's start the conversation. Perhaps our webmaster could 'stick' this to be #2 at the top of the Pre-War page. Thank you (let's have some fun!).

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Received a nice note this week from Joe Suarez, BCA #30005, Editor, Torque Tube II, 36-38 Buick Club that he and the 36-38 Group will be joining us for the After Tour. Great to hear from Joe and that he and the Group will be joining us.

Also had a nice note from Bill McLaughlin of '29 Buick fame that he is making progress on his carburetor fire repairs as noted in the latest Bugle and that he will be joining us as well. I know I speak for all of us when I say we are so glad you were not injured Bill.

And, I also got a poke (swift kick) from Mark Shaw that I better put some 'meat on the bone' about After Tour details since it will be 2013 soon so I will get to work on that. Mark will be trailering his 1912 Roadster all the way from Washington state to South Bend. Now that's a road trip.

Snow just trying to cover the grass here, 18 miles South of Flint, with highs this week in the low 30s (F) (1 to 2 C) and lows I don't even want to type. Looking and feeling like Winter.

• 4 months later...

2013 PWD After Tour Update.

I have reserved a block of rooms in Fremont, IN (our home base) for the 2013 PWD After Tour. (If you already had a reservation somewhere and this is a better deal, by all means cancel the first and join in on this one)

Also working on a venue for a nice Group (Tour) Dinner Sunday evening, stay tuned for more on that.

Hotel information as follows.

Make your own reservations (most will want Sunday/Monday/Tuesday nights stay and drive home on Wednesday).

Lots of good trailer parking out back (and the last Tour I was on a few years ago that stayed here, we had a couple of RVs park out in the back gravel lot and no one was the wiser at the hotel, they assumed the RVs were just tow vehicles)

Full free hot breakfast included.

Comfort Inn

251 W. State Road 120

Fremont, Indiana 46737

(260) 495-7131

Ask for 'Buick Club' Group Rate of $94 + Tax (normal rate is $107 + tax)

Cut off date for the Group Rate is June 15th.

Also, there has been some interest in the Gilmore Car Museum. The Museum is about 80 miles north of Fremont, IN; too far for some of the earlier cars to do a 160 mile round trip day and have any time at the museum but this is a great stop, so some may want to spend an extra day in Fremont or maybe near the Gilmore (Hickory Corners, Michigan) or catch it on the way home. I will have directions for those who might be interested and make this optional, on your own. Check out the site:

www.gilmorecarmuseum.org

• 4 weeks later...

The 2013 PWD After Tour notice should show up in the May (June & July too) issue of the Bugle Events section. That should stir some interest of those attending the 2013 National Meet but not active in this Forum.

I have made arrangements for a Group Tour Dinner, Sunday evening the 21st at the Potawatomi Inn just a couple of miles from our host hotel in Fremont, IN. Kind of fun for me as the Inn is where my parents spent their second honeymoon night back in 1947 driving from Detroit to Colorado (in a mint '41 Merc convertible). The Inn was built as a CCC project back in the 30's and is pretty cool and I'm told has a great dining room and nice buffet for us. This is also an optional hotel if you would rather stay here. It is still a very popular destination and fully restored. www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/inns/potawatomi

• 2 weeks later...

Great Larry! (If you are like me and most others in Northern North America, none of us have gotten our car out yet to see what's not working, but plenty of time to figure things out! Excellent weather planned here in mid Michigan, this might be the weekend the Buick gets 'awakened' this year.)

Brian: The group dinner sounds interesting. We will loogk forward to it. I have been working on my 37 since Sept of last year when it came back from the "restoration shop". The shop that promised that it would be in top shape to drive to Concord last June. NOT!! Today while getting the front end aligned we found more things that the "shop" missed after telling me that all worn items had been replaced. King pins, tie rod ends etc. just needed aligned. We will hope to conquer these obsticles !! Keep in touch: Larry

• 3 weeks later...

We will also do a PWD Dinner during the National Meet while still in South Bend. So two Dinners, one in South Bend, IN (details being worked and we will post the details on the PWD Forum) and then another on Sunday in Fremont, IN for the PWD After Tour Tourists.

(Two Dinners planned, now it's starting to sound like a Buick Meet!)

Also, while in South Bend, look for the PWD Club House (some say it looks like a maroon patio umbella). Bring your lawn chairs and we will have a few spares for our long distance members who will be flying in.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

The After Tour block of rooms at the Comfort Inn in Fremont, Indiana at the reduced group rate go off the market on June 15th. See the post above. I have my reservation but was surprised at how few of you do.

Signed,

Your Thoughtful Tour Chairman :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Brian: Thanks for the reminder. Just made our reservations for 7/21,22,23. Sounds like a good time. We have taken the 37 out twice this season on longer trips. Our Mason-Dixon/B.O.O.M Wine tour at 122 miles and our club car show at 95 miles. Each time with no major issues. But I still have a few reacuring problems to straighten out. I have to get my wiper motor rebuilt yet and make lower control arm bushings. The new shaft kit from CARS would require me to find parts from a parts car to fit. Possibly a 38 special. Every time I believe I have taken care of one issue 2 more show up. Larry

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rhinelander Rob

Hey Brian! I just realized I never actually confirmed with you that Amy & I will be on the after tour. We have our reservations made and the 24 is ready to go! Looking forward to seeing everyone. Rob

Great to hear Rob!

I just got back from a week long tour and managed to burn a couple of valves (more like, I have not been paying attention to them until they were gone as in zero compression) so burning the midnight oil to pull valve cages and install back-up valve cage assembies I have. See you for PWD Dinner on Thursday Evening, Buick and God willing.

Thanks to Larry Schramm and his valve cage puller (and his wonderful wife Joyce for finding it for him while he is out of town), I was able to swap out the one remaining (stuck) #6 exhaust valve cage. All I have to worry about now is mechanic error :) Also just got confirmation on the Hudson Museum opening special for us on Sunday as we travel from South Bend to Fremont. Speaking of smiley faces, we will visit the town and home of the smiley face on the After Tour (can't find that in South Bend, no sir-ie). Also heard from Dandy Dave and Larry Schramm that they will both be joining us on the After Tour.

Daaahoooo. You spilled the beans Brian..... I'm on the road tommorow. Not sure if I will be there in time for the PWDBCA Dinner on Thurday. Not even sure where it is. This was a last minute thing that I managed to pull off. See all y'all on the motoring highway. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

My thanks to all who joined us for the Meet, PWD Dinner and PWD After Tour!

Mark Shaw is still on the road and I'm certain will post some great pics soon. Anyone else who has some, please do.

Thanks again to everyone for a great After Tour!

Brian, thanks for the opportunity to experience an actual after tour. Joan and I had a great time. We just got home last night around 5:00. Finally got back to the computer today after washing 5 states of road grime/bugs off of the 37. No problems after we left Freemont on Wed. morning. Total miles for the trip. 1,553 miles. It was grand!!!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]205437[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]205433[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]205434[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]205435[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]205436[/ATTACH]

Bugs! You aint kiddin. Them Western bugs are a lot tougher and harder to wash off than these candy apple Eastern bugs we have back here! Them bugs out there stick, and stay stuck! :eek: Dandy Dave

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Brian - thanks for organizing the tour. I headed out early on Tues. AM and was home by 3:15. Total 1,632 miles over 2 weeks with a heat riser change, some oil added and the odd other minor adjustment. Car now has another heat riser on it (so UPS'ed one day 2 of my journey can go back to the very nice loner) and is headed for Davidson, MI later this week for the McL-Buick Homecoming. Bill McL