Dumping Convertibles

William Rule

Hard to say. End of summer does seem to bring out the convertibles for sale but it's the wrong time to do that. The best convertible weather for me is Sept-Oct, beautiful colors, not too hot and less chance of rain.

From an interest standpoint I prefer the 88, expect it will be considered a milestone car soon. OTOH I never feel complete without a convertible and might as well be a Reatta. As for the foundling, if I ever decide to build a show car, that is the best possible foundation.

Watching Mecum/Dallas made it obvious that for a #1 or strong #2 the money is there particularly for something rare with provenance (like a Shelby) but other than Jags and Mercs not much with a six attracts the "oooh shiney" moneyed crowd.

Down here in the souf, we are moving into the beautiful 265 days we put up with summer for & the 'vert is my DD these days though the heep is more multipurpose than just a tow car and gets better MPG than the 3800s bespite being a blimpmobile. Whodathunkit?

All I know is that if the current trend of depressed values keeps up for another year or so, I may be "forced" to buy a convertible for the collection. I don't need it, and honestly have never been much for convertibles anyway, but the stupid low pricing on some of these cars is getting very tempting. Sometimes I do something just because I can, without regard for the sensibility of it. Buying my first and second Reattae were just such instances. Adding a 'vert to the stable would be another such act of impulsivity, but at the present pricing levels, one I just might give serious consideration.

Of course, there are many nice yet inexpensive coupes as well, and they are that much cheaper still than their drop-top counterparts so I have been looking at those as well. I just keep telling myself that I need to resist the temptation to add another vehicle.

KDirk

Over the years I have discovered that I need at least one car sans roof. Doesn't matter too much what it is (my favorite was a FIAT 124 Spyder) just need one around. In my later years I find I am as interested in the a/c as the roof falling off.

Since I have a lot of spare parts and is made in America (which means more to me these days), the Reatta was a logical choice even though I like the dash in my 88 better. It also has "adequate" power and gives good mpg so even better.

Having three just made no sense so disposed of the black and the white is my daily driver. Foundling is a question mark but costs little to keep, has no rust (one of my criteria), and have an available garage space.

My other issue is that having been a "company man" since 1970, retirement is close and am trying to figure out what to do since I have no intention of stopping working, just maybe 30 instead of 60 hours a week. While I would like to return to automotive, I like Orlando which limits opportunities. Am thinking about teaching or opening an engineering/programming office but the right idea has not yet jelled. Any suggestions ?

Guest Corvanti
My other issue is that having been a "company man" since 1970, retirement is close and am trying to figure out what to do since I have no intention of stopping working, just maybe 30 instead of 60 hours a week. While I would like to return to automotive, I like Orlando which limits opportunities. Am thinking about teaching or opening an engineering/programming office but the right idea has not yet jelled. Any suggestions ?

do what makes you "happy", and something that is not just a "job" - but a passion - it won't seem like just a job! :)

if i was able, i'd probably check out local community colleges for "auto repair" instructors, or teach "history" - there isn't a whole lot going on now that hasn't already happened - (history repeats itself...) :(

EDIT: to keep this thread on point, i've had 4 convertibles: '62 Hillman, '68 Datsun 1600/'69 Datsun 2000 roadsters, 1995 Mustang GT. wish i still had one of the roadsters!

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)

I don't see convertibles in general saturating the market. Excluding the Reatta for a moment, there are exceptional collectable cars available of which I think many are for sale due to economic reasons. I recently bought a 1970 Mercedes 280SL because the seller needed to cover household expenses (he also has a few other 1960s and 1970s Mercedes that he put on the market). Seller has a 60 acre ranch in Texas and times have been tough for his family. But...definitely a few Reatta verts available that should be a great buy.

In SoCal with favorable weather nearly year round, getting out at dawn on a crisp Sunday morning (or at dusk) driving on Pacific Coast Hwy, Muholland Hwy or a variety of country-like canyon roads with the top down is near nirvana. If anyone has never had a convertible, now is a great time to buy (a topless Reatta).

It also helps to be somewhere interesting cars abound and things don't rust (before '66 Orlando was just a gas stop on 441 - no I-4 or Sunshine State Parkway aka Florida's Turnpike then and Florida coast cars get upper body rust).

'verts hmm: (just counting ones had for over a year & not T-Tops) '55 MGA, '56 XK-140MC, XK-150s, Devon bodied Jag, '61-3-5 E types (no Coupes), FIAT 850 & 124 spyder, 65 Corsa, 66 Monza, '67 GP, 3 Reattae. Have found I do not think properly without at least one.

When I bought the 124 I picked it over a 66 Mustang 'vert with 289 HiPo (271 HP) & 4 spd for $750. Don't regret a bit.

Used Jags were cheap in the '60s. All of my cars have oil pressure gauges.

'verts hmm: (just counting ones had for over a year & not T-Tops) '55 MGA, '56 XK-140MC, XK-150s, Devon bodied Jag, '61-3-5 E types (no Coupes), FIAT 850 & 124 spyder, 65 Corsa, 66 Monza, '67 GP, 3 Reattae. Have found I do not think properly without at least one.

Isn't that the ONLY year they made the Gran Prix a vert?

65 Bonneville convertible in navy/navy was my favorite.

I did find a good shop that was highly recommended by my Buick buddies. The shop is Convertibles Only in downtown Seattle. I am taking it there on Wednesday to have them install my new White vinyl EZ On top. If you're interested, I'd be happy to let you know what I think of their work after they are done. I live in Redmond, WA which is on the Eastside past Bellevue.

In keeping with this thread, I am very happy that the PO of my car decided to dump his convertible. I think I got a great deal given the current market. I have owned my convertible since the beginning of August. It was only rained on once on our way back from the Portland Chapter's All Buick Show.

Last week I had the most enjoyable ride home from my local chapter meeting. It took about 45 minutes, the evening was warm and the darkness was just settling in. I had the radio tuned to the oldies station and of course, the top was down. I can't say why I enjoyed that ride so much but I think it was the lack of traffic coupled with the complete awareness of everything around me and the wind blowing through what is left of my gray hair. The comfort of a luxury car's ride was just icing on the cake. It took me back to my teen years, driving my '65 Skylark convertible. Convertible owners know of what I speak.

Padgett, I retired at age 50, 9 years ago. I tried on several hats that I always wanted to do. My real job was a National Account Manager for a large telecom. After retirement, I worked at an automotive restoration shop, at a franchised Handyman company, and finally I landed my most enjoyable job I ever had, driving a school bus. That unfortunately ended 2 years ago when I experienced a very bad heart attack which has now left me unable to work. My advice would be to find what you enjoy doing and embrace it. I was very lucky that money wasn't the most important factor in my post retirement job choices. Life is too short and too uncertain to have regrets. I am grateful to have had the chance to do what I enjoy.

How low can they go? Last week I spotted a low-buck {very low milage} convertible in Denver on ebay. I bought it for way less than the cost of a new windshield. The car was damaged in a hail storm-----the owner collected the insurance but didn't fix the car. The Reatta is totally rust free and EVERYTHING works. I paid my money----put the top down and drove the 255 miles home with a huge smile on my face. So much for so little!!!!!

How low can they go? Last week I spotted a low-buck {very low milage} convertible in Denver on ebay. I bought it for way less than the cost of a new windshield. The car was damaged in a hail storm-----the owner collected the insurance but didn't fix the car. The Reatta is totally rust free and EVERYTHING works. I paid my money----put the top down and drove the 255 miles home with a huge smile on my face. So much for so little!!!!!

You might want to consider paintless dent removal. A good PDR tech will be able to repair for less than replacing panels. (Roof & quarter panels especially). Body shops in your area should refer you to a good PDR company.

Have had several dents removed by a dentless guy. Did a super job, was there about a month ago and was removing over 600 dents from a Texas car.

OTOH nice hood, headlight, and trunk lids should be available, front 1/4s are plastic and most of the rear 1/4s is accessible. Was all of the glass ok ?

There are many small dents in the hood, the deck lid and top cover have none. The top is shot. Glass is good. The only thing that does not work correctly is the flashlight in the zippered case {which is complete and mint}. All the paper work is there from day one. This Reatta is a one female owner, garage kept, original paint---CD and 16 way seat convertible. The interior is very nice------9 on a scale of 10. There is NO RUST anywhere. The exhust system is still silver colored and the paper parts tags are still on the parts under the car. I will replace the top and sun visor clips {thank you Mr. Baker}. A few dents in the hood of a white car just doesn't bother me at thes time. After all it's a really fine Reatta convertible!!!!!! So little money.

See you are my hero. You bought the car at a bargain price and are enjoying it and you have some money to restore it and preserve it. How mcu, can we ask, did you pay for it? I paid $2500 for my 1990 Red/Tan. It runs and drives and provides top down enjoyment but is set to get a bodywork/paint quote this afternoon, needs a new top, a new drivers seat (or repair) and details.

Thanks for buying and keeping in the Reatta Geek crowd.

Am curious what kind of hailstorm could crack a RIM fender. Basketball sized ? Even so you have a real buy. Put about $2k in for a top, fender, etc and you still have a keeper.[/quotem

The fender was damaged by a riding lawn mower. I replaced the fender today-----no problem , my 88 parts car is white. Took most of the afternoon but it looks fine----the white is a bit off, but OH WELL!!!!! I,m still well under $1800. The ebay discription said it needed a radiator, but all I did was move the hose clamp and drove it home. One more pluse-----the lady owner had cloth seat covers so the seats look almost new. I put my parts car on its' top last year and the hood got smashed or I'd have changed that too. My parts car came from the midwest [Ohio] and has the usual rust. What a pain----broken fastners, etc. On the other hand the new convertible came apart like a new car! The more I play with this Reatta, the bigger my smile. Thank you for all the information you have provided me and the other Reatta over the years. You help make this site better than a FSM. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Just a suggestion but I had mine repainted 1992 Pontiac Arctic White code 10. To me the code 40 has too much yellow in it, I like a stark white with just a touch of blue.

BTW hood is easy, just take yours off, drive to the replacement, bolt new one on and drive home.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I 100% agree!!!!! Code 40 is too yellow! And with a tan interior it's ugly. My new convertible will get new paint, but not till next spring because when I paint a car I take it apart, trim, bumpers, lights, --------! The hood should be replaced. As you say, "take the hood off and drive to new hood and install" is a great idea. If I can find one for less than the price of a parts car I will do that. I was looking for a 90 parts car when I found this convertible. Now I really need a 90 parts car.

• 1 year later...

These are strange times, in Florida at least real estate is coming back and cars at mecom seem to be U$5-15k or US50k up, Little in the middle.

Must admit is been nearly two years since have done anything. Was looking at Fieros but now think a 6 speed Crossfire Roadster may be in my future. Chrysler label but a Merc underneath & under U$10k for an '05.

Anyone interested in the foundling ? I really don't need two 'verts and would free up the space. Message for details.

Yet. They are only 20 and there are still a number on CL and eBay, just too many around. Part of the problem is that there are many sports roadsters (Merc, Porch, Miata, T'bird, etc.) of the 00's that are just crossing $10k on the way down.

Like Marck said. Also' date=' these cars are not becoming the collectable people think (or thought) they would be.[/quote']

I wouldn't say that. They are extremely collectible, but you have to put time and money into making them perfect, and advertise them in the correct way in order to make money.

They aren't your standard rust-free '57 Chevy, which, in any condition is worth big bucks.

Guest wally888
These are strange times, in Florida at least real estate is coming back and cars at mecom seem to be U$5-15k or US50k up, Little in the middle.

Must admit is been nearly two years since have done anything. Was looking at Fieros but now think a 6 speed Crossfire Roadster may be in my future. Chrysler label but a Merc underneath & under U$10k for an '05.

Anyone interested in the foundling ? I really don't need two 'verts and would free up the space. Message for details.

I had a new SRT-6. Interested in out

come e-mail me !

Not that anyone asked, or cares, but I don't think the Reatta makes a very good looking convertible. Without the top and with the soft top up it has a very bland K car look to it. The best design feature of the car is the roof line, the forward pitch of the roof pillar, and the way the panoramic back glass stretches back and flows into the rear deck is very stylish. I also think the 911 doesn't make a very attractive convertible.

Not that anyone asked, or cares, but I don't think the Reatta makes a very good looking convertible. Without the top and with the soft top up it has a very bland K car look to it. The best design feature of the car is the roof line, the forward pitch of the roof pillar, and the way the panoramic back glass stretches back and flows into the rear deck is very stylish. I also think the 911 doesn't make a very attractive convertible.
I agree with you. If the convertible had a top that looked more like the one on the Reatta in the photo below I think it would have been more attractive. I've been told the Reatta in the photo is not a convertible.

post-52331-143142255544_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

I personally like the more formal roof line the convertible has. That is one thing the press always sang the praises of was the looks of the Reatta convertible.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Reatta1

Back after a long hiatas. Interesting to find this thread on my return as I would love to have someone 'dump' a 91 vert on me. It would have to be 'dumped' as we will be spending all our money being snowbirds this winter. Oh well! As they say, don't cost nuttin ta dreem.