New 1939 Plymouth

Guest tater134

Guest tater134

Just had this one delivered last night. I'm currently attempting to get the engine running but I thought I'd take a break to post a few photos.

100_7042.jpg

100_7044.jpg

100_7046.jpg

100_7048.jpg

100_7050.jpg

100_7051.jpg

Looks like a pretty solid and straight starting point for a car. Should be a good driver, or with some work and corrective action show car.

Those have got to be the worst looking sealed beam conversion units I've ever seen on a '39 Plymouth though. I really much prefer the original rectangular bulb and reflector headlights on that car.

Guest tater134

Thanks for the comments everyone! Engine is still not running but is turning over when the starter is depressed which is good. Hopefully I'll have some time to play around with it over the weekend.

Guest tater134

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this car? I noticed two loose wires today while messing around under the hood and I'm trying to figure out where they are supposed to go.

The top wire you have marked looks as though it got very hot, overheated and cracked and melted the insulation. This looks like a very dangerous situation. Be sure you are aware of the current path before energizing this stuff. It is a good idea to ask and to have concerns about this setup.

Can't really see where the lower wire goes. Does it go through the firewall? If not, and it comes out of the loom right there, about the only place it would reach without stress seems to be the coil. Was that wire removed when the blue wire on the coil was put through the firewall? If this is all true, it begs the question, "why was the wire removed from the coil in the first place? Is there something wrong with it? Has the coil been replaced so the connectors are different?" Hmmm.

The other thing is where the wires go through the bigger hole in the firewall. That is a sharp edge and with vibration moving the wires around all the time, eventually they will get cut through and short out on the metal edge of the hole. Again - a BAD thing!

You don't want to have your car burn up before you even get a chance to take a ride in it! As you work on this, take some time and check out some of the other wiring you see both here and on the inside of the dash. By the look of it, you may see some stuff that will really scare you! Clean up these issues as you go along and find them if possible. Try not to miss any. Eventually you will/should opt for a full wiring loom replacement. Plan on that.

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest tater134

Thanks for the reply D2. I was also under the impression the wire was supposed to be going to the coil. Whether or not the coil is any good I'm not sure. I know the engine will turn over but it appears there is no power getting to the distributor. I took a peek under the dash yesterday and someone did some rewiring in there at some point. Whoever did it cut the old wiring off and spliced in pieces of new vinyl wire. I'm wondering if I'm better off rewiring everything before I start messing with anything else since some of the original wiring isn't looking too good and the repair job that was done on it is pretty sketchy looking.

Re-wiring may save you from running to grab the fire extinguisher in the middle of trying to start the engine.

Or, disconnect everything and make up your own temporary harness for engine testing purposes. One could do that by finding the main powewr wire (not the battery cable) and taking it loose. Its is probably hooked up at a starter relay. Just follow the battery cable (negitive in this case) and you will find it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shoe1932

I have a 1939 P-8 sedan like yours that just got the an HPOF Original award at the Canyon Texas meet. I would be happy to send photos of any parts of the car if it will help. It's a very clean car with low mileage and could be a good starting point for you.

Guest tater134
I have a 1939 P-8 sedan like yours that just got the an HPOF Original award at the Canyon Texas meet. I would be happy to send photos of any parts of the car if it will help. It's a very clean car with low mileage and could be a good starting point for you.

Thanks for the offer Shoe1932. I haven't had much time to work on the car lately because of work. The head cracked on my daily driver so I had to dump some money into it to get it running again so that held things up as well.

• 7 years later...