Wood tires???

keiser31

Guest 36chev

Perhaps they were in two pieces and then glued or somehow spliced together around the rim? Or maybe composite--ground up wood glued together and formed around the rim? I read somewhere that in WWI that the Germans supposedly used wooden tires on training aircraft to save rubber. There is a story of Cole Palen of Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome towing home a Curtiss Jenny in the 1950's only to find the tires disentragating because they were wood!

It looks like a seam in the side wall. It also looks like the tread area is seperate of the side wall or there is atleast a joint or seam. My guess is they would be like a clam shell and somehow glued or fastened togehter. The whole thing may be 6 pieces?

Maybe they were military in design to be resistant to bullets so military vehicles wouldn't get flats when shot at by small arms. Many militray vehicles aren't fast moving like passenger cars so they would stay together alot better.

Perhaps they were in two pieces and then glued or somehow spliced together around the rim? Or maybe composite--ground up wood glued together and formed around the rim? I read somewhere that in WWI that the Germans supposedly used wooden tires on training aircraft to save rubber. There is a story of Cole Palen of Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome towing home a Curtiss Jenny in the 1950's only to find the tires disentragating because they were wood!

If you click on the photo a few times, it gets large enough to see the woodgrain, so they aren't composite.