OEM, era correct or reproduction seat belts?

Bleach

I am looking for a set of seat belts that are OEM, era correct or reproduction for my '56 Fairlane. I have searched quite a few vendors but they all seem to just have the generic style. I'd like to find a nice OEM set or a correct reproduction of the type that was used on Ford products (Lincolns & Mercurys included). I don't want to drill holes in the floor boards of this mostly original auto to add the wrong anchors that will serve no real degree of safety. I've seen NOS anchors only, with no seat belts, on ebay for an astronomical sum of money. I'm hoping that there is someone who is reproducing the seat belts for the restorers of Crown Victoria or Sunliners

I might be wrong, but I suspect the OEM accessory belts (or factory-installed optional) had the "aircraft style" chrome release on them. I'm sure there are some middle to late 1950s Ford advertising documents "out there" which show these belts as Ford was big in promoting safety back then. That meant: Deep Dish Steering Wheels, optional seat belts, upgraded door latches, and padded instrument panel covers.

I've seen the referenced seat belts from several street rod vendors. The next item would be the style of webbing. Some of the earlier belts had what appeared to be "looser" webbing than the later ones (mid-'60s)(which had the more modern "tight" webbing). I found one ad from 1956 in the www.wildaboutcarsonline.com website "Brand Central" (Ford) "factory ad" area. It looks like the chrome "aircraft style" buckle. The wording in the ad notes "Ford's optional nylon-rayon cord seat belts are solidly anchored to the steel flooring and will withstand a force of 4000 lbs!" Kind of sounds like a tire commercial, but that might also mean the "loose" weave belting material.

I'm not sure what the factory belt anchors might look like, but the ones I've seen in the seat belt websites look pretty substantial, BUT they could always be beefed-up if needed, I suspect.

Seems like there are several mid-'50s Ford clubs in the nation. Also some '60s Ford and Mercury clubs, too. Not to forget the Early 'Bird clubs!

Some of the "drawn" ads show a wider buckle than others, for some reason. Plus what might be some kind of emblem on them, too. But the solid chrome ones look more like the chrome buckle seat belts I've seen in the street rod vendor magazine ads.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

FORD__1956_Ford_Ad_5 SHOWS SEAT BELTS.pdf

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

DJ, I'm pretty sure 1956 was the first year seatbelts were offered in Fords and I bet they were pretty rare, so OEM will be expensive if you can find it. Do you have a factory shop manual? Hopefully it would show the anchor installation and may show what the belts looked like. Later cars had the anchors included in the floor pans but they may not have done that as early as 56. If they were the generic aircraft style try Ssnake - Oyl at Ssnake Oyl Products , I got belts for my 63 Riviera there and was pleased with the quality and color choices available.

Got under my '61 this morning and found the seat belts bolted thru the floor pans with a 3/16th's" thick washer about 3" in diameter. These do not appear to be spot welded to the floor pans.---Bob

My 63 Riviera had the front anchor mounts built into the floor pans and filled with rubber plugs and sealer. The rear seat mounting points were nothing more than dimples in the sheet metal showing you where to drill the hole....

The shop manual doesn't show anything about seat belt installation but the body manual might. I just got it a few days ago and I have lots of pages to look through.

Yes Don, the Rivs did have the provision for front belts but not the rears.

My '56 has nothing for belts either.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

I can see where you would like the belts and latches to be as close to OEM as posible,but abouy the under floor anchors, go for safety.

Most belt kits have a 3" washers made out of maybe 14 Ga. steel. I have never used them , opting for custom made larger plates of 1/8" steel, crafted to the shape and configuration of the floor boards.

Tastefully made and installed, no one would suspect them as not OEM. Besides who ever crawles under your car to look? Even a judge wouln not know the diff.

I can see where you would like the belts and latches to be as close to OEM as posible,but abouy the under floor anchors, go for safety.

Most belt kits have a 3" washers made out of maybe 14 Ga. steel. I have never used them , opting for custom made larger plates of 1/8" steel, crafted to the shape and configuration of the floor boards.

Tastefully made and installed, no one would suspect them as not OEM. Besides who ever crawles under your car to look? Even a judge wouln not know the diff.

My thoughts exactly. I have no plan to use a 3" washer of unknown bend strength which is why I've tried to research what sort of plates were used underneath. I'm even leery of the eye bolts that are supplied with the seat belt kits that look close to OEM. I have little faith in the tensile strength of Chinese bolts. I used to have access about 15 years ago to a testing machine that could test the tensile strength of any bolt. I guess I could have a set of samples sent down to CA and have them tested for verification but I would rather just look out for properly graded hardware that are of US manufacture.

The three buckles on the left look like the ones I found in some of the mid-'50s print ads. I've seen the "double hook" anchor ends, over the years, plus the other ones, just don't recall where.

The looks like the "tight" webbing rather than the loose webbing, from what I can see. As for that selection of "anchors" and such, NO WAY would I use any of that, with all due respect. I was much younger when I was around those cars, but I don't recall seeing ANYthing that looked like those on ANY car.

IF you can find a copy of "The 1959 Ford Buyer's Guide" (started in '58 and there was also one in 1960), it has an article in it on the Ford safety research being done in conjunction with Cornell University. All of the pictures of cars they used were '55-'56 Fords. I'm sure there are some pictures in there which would include the seat belts around the crash dummies. PLUS other pictures of the belts in other '59 Fords. It had articles and sections on each of the new Fords, with option lists, color choices, interior trim choices, and pricing information.

MORE research . . . of things I didn't notice back then and haven't thought about in quite some time.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The hardware does look odd but these are reported to be NOS OEM for a '56. The box in the photo has the part number on them. These are a one year only part and possibly anything used 1957 and newer will probably be different.

I will be on the look out for the buyers guide.

Thanks NTX!

Guest martylum

Hi-I''ve done restoration on a 56 and 57 Bird which had the original seatbelts and anchors. Thunderbird center offers a set of 4 metal seatbelt to floor retainers. If correct, they will be u-shaped. the buckles were made of polished cast aluminum with the other belt end being a chrome plated tongue. Not sure if passenger cars had the same style hardware and retainers. Don't see belts listed in the large 59 Ford part book. Might be listed in an accessory catalog as they were offered with padded dash and visors on 56 Birds as a safety option.Many years ago i bought and sold several sets of NOS belts.

Martin Lum.

Guest martylum

see P 12 in the current Hills catalog. The belts pictured look correct as to the buckle style and the hooked end looks correct for the loose end of the webbing which was threaaded through the slotted ends of the hooked hardware. . Would not want to use those strange loopy things for seatbelts but the u-shaped bolts look correct but are bent strangely. You can buy webbing in various colors from seatbelt suppliers. The original webbing in Birds was color coordinated to the upholstery. I remember redyeing the faded red webbing to better match the red seatcovers and it was of a fairly coarse weave.

I think I might have one partial seatbelt left.

Martin Lum

That was the page I looked at. All they have is a small B&W photo of the belts. I may have to ask them if they have any better photos of the belts and the hardware. The only problem I see is the belts would be too short for a sedan. The T-Bird seats sit way lower than mine.

• 3 months later...

That strange double "hook" with eyebolt on the floor end of the belt is the same thing Oldsmobile was using as late as 1962 and possibly 63. My 64 Starfires both have factory installed belts and those use the later style that attaches to the car floor with a large fine-thread hex-head bolt instead of an eyebolt.

Point being that most belts back then, even factory part #s, would probably have been sourced from an aircraft belt manufacturer and adapted to automobile use. So about anything you'd find that is era-correct would work.

I don't like the look of those eyebolts either. Roger's suggestion on heavy-gauge steel undercar anchors is good. No point in installing belts without proper anchorage- why risk the bolts pulling thru the car floor?

The added heavy gauge steel is a great suggestion and wouldn't be visible. I had another car that predated the seat belt era and had belts carelessly installed by the previous owner. They had no reinforcements where they were attached and were only attached with big sheet metal screws to the floors. Needless to say they would pulled out easily at the first hard stop.

Can't help with your problem but my Dad had a 56 4dr with the "T-Bird" engine, when I was a teenager. It was very used when we got it but he was proud of that T-Bird engine. First car we ever had with seat belts and my Dad was sold on the idea. We never owned a car after that with out them, either already installed or added.

I had great plans when I turned 16 and would get to drive this powerful beast. My father was a step ahead of me and a few months before I turned 16 he traded in the 56 for a 60 Comet wagon with 6cyl engine, also used and very slow compared to the 56. Just as well since I was already working on the 49 Crosley wagon to be my driver and I would probably have been spoled for life driving the powerful 56.