More fun pullin parts

MrEarl

Got an email from someone needing a front brake drum for a 54 Super. Next day after work, 6:00 in afternoon, 97 degrees in the shade (but I wasn't in the shade) and thinking "all front drums are same all series, rears are different" I commenced to jacking up and pulling the front drums from a 54 Roadmaster, pulling the wheels, loosening the brake shoes all the way, beating the snot out of the drum (praying I don't crack it) enough to get the drum back enough to get a screwdriver in and beat the snot out of the shoes until they finally loosened up and pulled the drums off. Next day after work, took them ACROSS TOWN to a hot rodder owned parts store to get them turned and trued, and since my CRBSA was acting up (can't remember Buick s*** anymore) thought I'd call tri-five Buick tech expert Old-Tank, to see what the acceptable oversize amount is. He told me .060 and .120 ain't gonna hurt anything, you'll still have more metal than repros from K*****. BUT he also set me straight that my thinking was bassackwards on thinking the fronts are the same. Seems my BD is getting about as bad as my BADD. Buick dyslexia - Buick Attention Deficit Disorder. So I went ahead and dropped them off thinking these can be the ones I put on Texas Pete, the hot rod Special, someday

Next day after work, 98 degrees 95% humidity load up the Radio flyer wagon with jacks, stands and tool box again, pull it out to Buick Pasture, jack up a 54 SUPER this time, remove front wheel, loosen brake shoes all the way, tap on the drums some while prying with a screwdriver and holy mother of god, they actually moved. Here comes the fun part you've been waiting to hear. Grab the drum firmly with both hands, jerk backwards 2-3 times and it pops right off. Insert happy face smilie here. BUT THEN, just as it came off, I saw something in a blur, fly by my eye and in the next instant felt a hot piercing projectile enter my forehead skin, through the skin and hit my scull. It knocked me back, totally off the little round milk stool I was sitting on, and into my tool box, my right elbow striking in the middle of the top drawer which holds all sorts of sharp a** tools, then on backward onto the ground, all the while still holding onto the brake drum firmly with both hands trying to keep it away from my teeth. All this happened within about .060 of a second. When I looked up to see what the hey, this is what I saw.

go to next post please............

100_3696crpd.jpg

I did a couple of rolls in the grass trying to increase the distance between myself and these ugly red instruments of the devil. The other ten took flight, apparently leaving these two back to defend their home, sorta like homeland security I presume. Luckily only got popped once. I went to the house, got the wasp spray and proceeded back to get my revenge. Never realized the length of a Red Wasp’s stinger is equal to that of the thickness of the skin on a mans forehead. But upon pulling the stinger, it was actually bent backwards like a fish hook from hitting my scull so hard.

Now for the rest of the story. Got these two drums off, took them ACROSS TOWN to the parts store, had them, along with the Roadmaster ones turned and trued. Next day go back, ACROSS TOWN, to the parts store, ask him what did they mic out to now? He say’s “You didn’t say you want them mic’d”. I ask if he can mic them, he says “my measuring stick is broke”. It’s clear now that he doesn’t want to measure in case they are beyond tolerance. I give the smart a** $40.00 expecting a few $$ change. Not!!!

Now here’s the killer. I email the guy that wanted to buy them that I’d rather sell them as a pair. But if he just want’s one, fine. Price is $100 for one or both for $180.00 thinking that should be fair since they are turned originals, Kantner sells just the single China made drum for $120.00 each and mine comes with the hub, bearings, races and cap.

That was 3 days ago, haven’t heard from him yet.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I'm still trying to figure out how they got in there. Space is pretty tight. Lots of natural spaces, why'd they pick that one?

As for the potential buyer that's just wrong. As one doing 7 cars at once either actually restoring or just buying parts for later, I just pay what I have to - sometimes more. It cost me $1000 to bring my 48 Packard up here last week from Memphis.

But the cautionary tale of not hearing from him is one reason projects aren't getting done. Expensive hobby now.

Guest Caribou

And that right there is why junk yards would rather crush a car for the steel than pull parts for sales.

Now you can stack them on top of something that you will need before the drums, creating the opportunity to drop them on your toe or finger, or even give your little red friends a chance to recolonize. Protect those bearings since the reproductions are junk.

Willie

I feel for ya! Just 2 weeks ago I was sitting in a car pulling parts [100* heat index] when a wasp flew in the one open door, stung me and flew off.

My parts rule

After pulling a part [went to the local u pick pulled and paid for it] for a guy who "just had to have it" I never heard from him. I now make sure I have the part, establish the price, wait until I recieve the money, pull and then ship.

Only exceptions are guys I am very familiar with, or guys who post their affiliations on their signature lines.

Weasel words... I have Wisconsins largest U Pick yard less then 5 miles from my house and don't carry inventory [cars/parts] but pull after deal is struck.

Guest 53Mark

The more I've worked on my car the more I've realized there are very few simple jobs, something usually goes wrong or at least not as expected and I'm glad nobody has a video camera around. It is good for a newbie like me to know that everyone has their obstacles! Sorry yours involved a stinger in the skull though! I hope your buyer comes through.

Lamar,

Always get the $$ up front... Then if you never hear from the buyer, he is the one that is out the $$....

I just shipped the guts to a 1920's starter generator to the UK. (I really feel for those guys who can't find local parts) I pulled all the parts out of the cast iron housing so the shipping would be less and it still cost more for the shipping than what I got for the parts ($310/$200). I have no reason to believe I would not get paid, but I got the PayPal payment before I shipped the parts. It's just good business practice...